Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Carbon Props Inspire 2
12Next >
9789 51 2017-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nik1975
First Officer
Flight distance : 6300833 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Does anybody test that Props on the Inspire 2?
https://www.heliengadin.com/coll ... -folding-propellers

2017-4-28
Use props
raven4
First Officer
Flight distance : 86194 ft
United States

200 Euro? LOL..that's crazy!
2017-4-28
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

There is no way that I would trust my bird to a set of 3rd party props, especially those particular ones.
2017-4-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I wouldn't recommend using 3rd party props. If there's a crash involving them, it would void the warranty.
2017-4-28
Use props
JBSonic
First Officer
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's right, the official rattling props are much better! Just keep stuffing more foam into them until they sorta stop shaking, should work
2017-5-2
Use props
nzfritz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 263796 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

JBSonic Posted at 2017-5-2 05:00
That's right, the official rattling props are much better! Just keep stuffing more foam into them until they sorta stop shaking, should work

lol - I know right!
2017-5-3
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

JBSonic Posted at 2017-5-2 05:00

Or you could try the suggestion about opening a ticket with DJI support and getting replacements. I have not had to do that but have read multiple posts claiming that was their solution.
2017-5-3
Use props
fanse9ca1f9e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3031736 ft
United States

I have a set on order and should have them soon.
2017-5-3
Use props
fanse9ca1f9e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3031736 ft
United States

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-5-3 04:07
Or you could try the suggestion about opening a ticket with DJI support and getting replacements. I have not had to do that but have read multiple posts claiming that was their solution.

I did just that and received 4 props the red ones fit perfect and the white ones were to tight to fit on the hubs.
2017-5-3
Use props
Dr Jon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 463012 ft
United Kingdom

the photos speak for them selves
pros  357.jpg
pros  358.jpg
pros  359.jpg
pros  360.jpg
2017-5-4
Use props
Seachronicity
Second Officer
Flight distance : 852792 ft
United States

Dr. John

How do the folding props perform?
Thanks
Barry
2017-5-4
Use props
Dr Jon
Second Officer
United Kingdom

So far only completed a flight of 25 minute. Noise level is lower I think because props are stiffer. I need a few high speed manovers and no problems. Speed looks same as with DJI props but I need to confirm when I get a still day.  It will take a few more flights to get concise results  

Biggest problem is making the cases fit ... the DJI one was only a 10 minute task but the GO backpack need more thought before i do anything.

Will post more test results later in the week
2017-5-4
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-5-4 07:07
So far only completed a flight of 25 minute. Noise level is lower I think because props are stiffer. I need a few high speed manovers and no problems. Speed looks same as with DJI props but I need to confirm when I get a still day.  It will take a few more flights to get concise results  

Biggest problem is making the cases fit ... the DJI one was only a 10 minute task but the GO backpack need more thought before i do anything.

Hi DJ.
Thanks for sharing your incredible prop installation. They really look like excellent quality. Keep us posted.

^^^
How much tension is holding the props when unfolded? I do not like relying on the centrifugal force holding the props straight  (lead / lag). You know what happens during breaking to the props,,,,   It's ok on the Mavic but I like them tight and the machine is very light weight.

Thanks man
Rich
2017-5-4
Use props
Dr Jon
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-4 07:51
Hi DJ.
Thanks for sharing your incredible prop installation. They really look like excellent quality. Keep us posted.

There is friction between the prop on the mount and has been locked down with hold nuts. I examined the other DJI folding props and these behave very similar. I did do a tail down stop which it behaved perfectly. The only thing I did see is when you first power up the props there a few seconds whilst the props spin out to maximum position so you get a little shake as this happens. When you power off the props stay in the extended position and there is resistance to move them in to folded position
2017-5-4
Use props
Dr Jon
Second Officer
United Kingdom

modified the DJI case so i can carry I2 with props included
pros  357.jpg
pros  358.jpg
pros  359.jpg
pros  360.jpg
pros  361.jpg
pros  362.jpg
2017-5-5
Use props
nik1975
First Officer
Flight distance : 6300833 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

how they fly?
2017-5-15
Use props
Dr Jon
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I find then quieter and most certainly  more precise in control. I have given them serious fast start and stops and no problems at all,
2017-5-17
Use props
epicjib
First Officer
Flight distance : 3016060 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Those look nice and well made. have you compared the flight times? I suspect no difference or maybe a bit less?
2017-5-17
Use props
fansd845e849
First Officer
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-5-17 15:07
I find then quieter and most certainly  more precise in control. I have given them serious fast start and stops and no problems at all,

So give precise data on battery life

You said 25mins on the carbon folding prop

How many mins on the original prop?
2017-5-18
Use props
Dr Jon
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fansd845e849 Posted at 2017-5-18 02:41
So give precise data on battery life

You said 25mins on the carbon folding prop

I completed a 25 minute flight. I always land when the timeline says so at first warning point. I don't see any change in the flight duration using carbon fibre. The is noticeable improvement in precision of movements and hover looks more stable than with plastic.

My main reason for changing was the poor quality of the DJI props. I have heard a rumor they are going to start supply of carbon fibre ones soon.
2017-5-21
Use props
Sharif
lvl.3
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-5-21 06:16
I completed a 25 minute flight. I always land when the timeline says so at first warning point. I don't see any change in the flight duration using carbon fibre. The is noticeable improvement in precision of movements and hover looks more stable than with plastic.

My main reason for changing was the poor quality of the DJI props. I have heard a rumor they are going to start supply of carbon fibre ones soon.

Thank you for sharing.  Noise reduction would be a welcome improvement as I believe that drones should be like children...seen but not heard. ;)  
2017-5-22
Use props
fans75f46ba0
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

After paying more than $6000.00 dollars U.S. for the Inspire 2 and then having the poor quality propellers like the stock ones from DJI I think everyone should really complain to DJI about this, first it is a huge Safety of Flight issue, secondly DJI manufactures Carbon Fiber Folding propellers for their other products and they should without a doubt send out two pairs of these type propellers to everyone who has purchased a DJI Inspire 2 Drone free of charge.
See photo
DJI 2170 Carbon Fiber Reinforced Folding Propeller with Adapter Kit for E2000 Tuned Propulsion System (Counter Clockwise Blade)

DJI 2170 Carbon Fiber Reinforced Folding Propeller with Adapter Kit for E2000 Tuned Propulsion Syste ...

DJI 2170 Carbon Fiber Reinforced Folding Propeller with Adapter Kit for E2000 Tuned Propulsion Syste ...
2017-8-28
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

wow those looks sleek! it would be even better if they came out with a non folding prop
2017-8-28
Use props
Donnie *
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I would stick with the DJI props ( warts and all ). The new props they have out with the foam inserts seem to work fine but more importantly , if you ever bump into something int the  air like a twig  ( around trees etc. ) or even a building  ( it happens ) the carbon fiber ones will explode and down goes the Aircraft . Now with the Plastic ones they will chip and crack but not normally break and you can make a safe landing , also the warranty will be void if you do have an incident with the carbon fibre ones .

I do a agree  they look sweet and seem  more professional , but in my experience I would stick with the ones that come with DJI systems .  (Warts and all )

Just my 2 cents

I did have an incident where my props hit my house ( long story ) and I landed just fine , dont think would have had a happy ending with the carbon fibre ones .
*** I see DJI has the crabon fiber ones , but I still think for  day to day flying the plastic ones are better suited , but depending on the type of flying  you do.  
2017-8-29
Use props
fans4697a0c7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 427 ft
United States

I f sound is an issue you can get the High Altitude props from DJI. There is a Pop up that says it doesn't like you using props at low altitudes but they most definitely are quieter.  I've been using those. More accurate flying than the standard props.
2017-9-28
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Someone on the other forum said he noticed more jello with the rigid CF props verses the DJI plastics?
2017-9-28
Use props
fans4697a0c7
lvl.1
United States

I want the Carbon fibre folding strictly for leaving them on in the case. Drone World has a bigger case and As  a house Inspector I like the precision and quietness reasoning. Accuracy is very important too so I can't afford to hit a house no matter what Prop is on. The I2 is a lot of fun too in Sport mode.  It certainly halls tail! The High altitude seem to loose 1 MPH but that could have just been wind too. The wind was not calm when I tested speed. I need to go for a 2 mile flight on sport mode in the valley so I can watch it. Everyone, get some strobes as wow what a difference in seeing a long run. just over a minuet and you are at a mile out! Fun! Firehouse has some great white, green, and red strobes. Very sweet! Velcro puts them on and off.  I was also told by a tech not to run your batteries all the way down to 4% like I had been doing. Get it back up to at least 10% so the computer in the batteries will always have juice. you may not get the battery to come back if you go that low.
2017-9-28
Use props
fans4697a0c7
lvl.1
United States

At least you know the Carbon props are balanced where the Plastic ones, well... are not perfect as you can check it yourself.  They are close, but perfection is what we fly for! Not a rattle in the motor.  I read a easy permanent fix on you tube somewhere. It SHOULD  be posted here. Maybe a DJI techie could find it and post it for us.
2017-9-28
Use props
fans4cc8c7b5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 214003 ft
Australia

Just a little 2 Cents.
I recently got an Inspire 2, with standard Props.

The red props (revision 2) are very firm on the mounts click into place, grip on the centre "plug", positively locked in place, the white props are a little wobbly, drop into place with no firm seating on the centre "plug", flog out a little over several hours.
The Problem appears to be too much clearance between the locking lug (twist lock) and the locking "cam surface".

The fixes which build up the base of the hub run the risk of resulting on a non-flat mounting surface, a better fix appears to be building up the locking surface on the prop hum (the reverse bevel which the locking lug presses down on, a dab of CA, or a skim of UV curing MA should do the trick, plan on doing this with the Props I have, which haven't flown yet.)

Currently going through the Process/exercise of returning the original white hubs and Props for a warranty test, just for the exercise (outlayed $60 for new locking plates and Props, so I can fly in the mean time).  

If no one complains, nothing gets done.

The carbon props look real nice, price is up there, but the Carbon props sold through an official DJI seller locally for the I1 are just as expensive, the think with a positively fixed hub is there is no quick release connection to flog out, a quick connect will always be mechanically worse than a rigid connection.....  

Non Folding Bolted on carbon Props will be suboptimal too, as the motors are not designed to have the screws put in and out constantly, the threads in the motor bell will eventually wear out.

In the case of a crash, whatever you do, don't mention the Props.  (jk. Fawlty Towers)
2017-12-1
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally I would not use anything on my Inspire or Phantom that had anything to do with performance and reliability that was third party. If something goes wrong you will be on your own. I realize you are just looking for an opinion but, it is not good practice.
2017-12-1
Use props
DS924
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4028425 ft
United States

fans4cc8c7b5 Posted at 2017-12-1 03:51
Just a little 2 Cents.
I recently got an Inspire 2, with standard Props.

I certainly understand that constantly installing and then uninstalling screws for the props will destroy the threads in the motor - that's why I consider my Koptermax NON-FOLDING props to be semi-permanent. In 175,000 horizontal feet of flight since I installed them I've made sure that screws were secure when I launched; and ALWAYS found them to be secure when I was done flying.

Yes, I cannot enclose my I2 in the case it arrived in - a big problem for some - but the aircraft performs wonderfully with these props, as far as I can tell.

My warranty will expire, as will the DJI Care Refresh that i paid for, pretty soon. And even if that was not the case, my reading of the many service-related issues raised on this forum suggests to me that I'm practically on my own when it comes to the warranty, anyway, considering the problems that so many have reported with their warranty claims.

I HAVE IMMENSE RESPECT FOR DJI FOR DEVELOPING THESE AIRCRAFT - don't get me wrong, but owners more knowledgeable than I think the props are a problem and the expressed concerns seem to have merit. How serious a problem?  I don't know.

I guess I just trust the screws that hold my props secure and true to the motors a whole lot more, at 10,000 RPM, than I could ever trust a piece of foam.  Screws will hold them securely under real load.  I just cannot picture foam doing that.  Foam is going to "give."  That's what foam is supposed to do.  The best one can hope for, where foam is concerned, is that it was never really necessary in the first place and that the concern over the props "rattling" is just misplaced.

I don't know if there is a legitimate concern about the structural integrity of CF versus plastic but, 3rd party or not, I'm sold on the after-market props.

I've flown them enough to be confident with them now.  Unless and until DJI resolves the tolerance issue of their prop mounts; and as long as DJI maintains such a large share of the sUAV market, I imagine that the manufacturers of after-market props will enjoy a vigorous market in the shadow of DJI's sales alone.

2017-12-1
Use props
RobAlbania
Second Officer
Albania

I've been flying r/c helis for more than 10 years.  Just took delivery of brand new Inspire 2 yesterday, intending to start filming commercially.

The poor standard of design of the quick release prop mounts and propellers is very, very disappointing.  There is more than 5 mm "play" at the tip of the blades due to the loose fit.  I have not flown the heli yet, and I will not do so, due to this design defect.

As anyone flying r/c helis knows, there will be severe vibration, noise and wear at the blade mount points due to this.  It will lead to premature blade failure.

I am not accepting this.  DJI can have it back.  It sucks.

2017-12-5
Use props
ICarrascosa
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3356 ft
Spain

RobAlbania Posted at 2017-12-5 01:49
I've been flying r/c helis for more than 10 years.  Just took delivery of brand new Inspire 2 yesterday, intending to start filming commercially.

The poor standard of design of the quick release prop mounts and propellers is very, very disappointing.  There is more than 5 mm "play" at the tip of the blades due to the loose fit.  I have not flown the heli yet, and I will not do so, due to this design defect.

I would not hesitate to exchange them for these ...

https://www.floridadronesupply.c ... ustom-for-inspire-2

2017-12-5
Use props
RobAlbania
Second Officer
Albania

Thanks @ICarrascosa@, good suggestion.
I currently have a support ticket open with DJI.
I think it is their responsibility to solve this issue for all users.
2017-12-5
Use props
RobAlbania
Second Officer
Albania

This is the amount of free play at the tips of all blades, it is just over 5 mm ...

2017-12-5
Use props
RobAlbania
Second Officer
Albania

fans75f46ba0 Posted at 2017-8-28 05:23
After paying more than $6000.00 dollars U.S. for the Inspire 2 and then having the poor quality propellers like the stock ones from DJI I think everyone should really complain to DJI about this, first it is a huge Safety of Flight issue, secondly DJI manufactures Carbon Fiber Folding propellers for their other products and they should without a doubt send out two pairs of these type propellers to everyone who has purchased a DJI Inspire 2 Drone free of charge.
See photo
DJI 2170 Carbon Fiber Reinforced Folding Propeller with Adapter Kit for E2000 Tuned Propulsion System (Counter Clockwise Blade)

Those won't work.  The Inspire 2 needs an overall blade diameter of 38 cm.  The DJI 2170 blades are 21 inch (53 cm).  
2017-12-5
Use props
Stuart Pinkney
lvl.1
Flight distance : 680574 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The postage they offer to England is more than the price of the props. Crazy.
2017-12-5
Use props
Zane Isaac
First Officer
Flight distance : 8712549 ft
  • >>>
United States

Amazingtech quick release inspire prop adapters and zeal blades 1550 folding
2017-12-5
Use props
DS924
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4028425 ft
United States

Those folding props look great but I'm a little squeamish about folding props. Since there has to be enough free play in the design for the props to swing into position doesn't that just introduce two brand new areas of potential failure?

Maybe a fracture would never develop from repeated loads applied perpendicular to the movement of those hinges but you have to admit that, except to accommodate the convenience of easier transport, hinges such as those would NEVER be incorporated into a propeller design.

I did replace my original props with one-piece screwed in versions of some otherwise similar props. They aren't as convenient as the foldable ones but they MIGHT just be safer.

Maybe time will tell.
2017-12-10
Use props
Plank!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 526798 ft
United Kingdom

DS924 Posted at 2017-12-10 17:53
Those folding props look great but I'm a little squeamish about folding props. Since there has to be enough free play in the design for the props to swing into position doesn't that just introduce two brand new areas of potential failure?

Maybe a fracture would never develop from repeated loads applied perpendicular to the movement of those hinges but you have to admit that, except to accommodate the convenience of easier transport, hinges such as those would NEVER be incorporated into a propeller design.

The hinge design looks to be consistent across all the third-party manufacturers and DJIs own folding props.The carbon fibre at the hinges is quite thick, with radioused edges, so the stress loading should be pretty good, I doubt you'd crack one under normal loads, maybe in an impact but i suspect the blade would go long before the carbon fibre near the hinge.
Personally, I like the rigidity of the carbon props (folding or fixed) even if there's a little play in the hinge they are still more rigid than the standard thermoplastic props.
I have noticed the tension on the hinges is not identical, so one or two of the blade halves do have a little more play – one of these days I’ll take them off and set them all the same with a torque wrench, see if that fixes it, otherwise I may shim the looser ones.  I check them before every flight, there’s not been any change since I first put them on.
I still need a few more flights on the CF props to properly compare flight times, so far it looks very similar.
They do sound a little different at times, presumably due to a lack of flex in the blades compared to the standard ones.
I use the Swiss made Heliengadin folding props (branded as Koptermax) and have to say, they feel like they're worth the money  ;)
2017-12-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules