22358 54 2017-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone has been using DJI Go 4 with the S8+?

I just got a S8+ last week but didn't get a chance to try it out yet, as I forgot I had the cable for USB-C sitting in the box... I've been using a S6 and Note 3 and both works perfectly, but I rather use the better processor and bigger screen size. The Note 3 is quite old and seems to lag a bit, and the S6 feels too small now...

I assume S8 is not a supported device yet, but as I said before, I don't believe the issues with android devices are related to hardware, but associated to the latest Android firmware (Nougat is the big culprit). Given that the S8 is on nougat, I don't have high hope

2017-4-28
Use props
hyderja
lvl.3
United States

I tried yesterday to use my S8 with DJI Go4 and it will not even start the app. Kept getting error about the screen size not matching.
2017-4-28
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Had my S8+ for  almost 3 weeks.  Works fine with Mavic. Only 3 10-15 min. flights due to a week of rain, but hope to get out again this afternoon.
2017-4-28
Use props
hyderja
lvl.3
United States

I plug my phone in the controller and try to start the app and it will not even start on S8
2017-4-28
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

I lost my Mavic flying on a Brand New SamSung Galaxy S8, T-Mobile customized,crashed twice in 5 flights.  Second crash the Mavic auto landed in the ocean.  I'd be careful flying with the Android 7.0 os.
2017-4-28
Use props
TonyBergen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135820 ft
Netherlands

hyderja Posted at 2017-4-28 05:04
I tried yesterday to use my S8 with DJI Go4 and it will not even start the app. Kept getting error about the screen size not matching.

i tried it on my new S8 (exynos EU) and it worked the same as on my  S6.no problems so far. 1st close all apps. 2nd. optimize phone. 3th. put the phone in flight mode.  i will test it more next weeks and seen if i have problems closing the app. adroid 7.0 is known as a problem with the DJI app.
2017-4-28
Use props
TonyBergen
lvl.1
Netherlands

i tried it on my new S8 (exynos EU) and it worked the same as on my  S6.no problems so far. 1st close all apps. 2nd. optimize phone. 3th. put the phone in flight mode.  i will test it more next weeks and seen if i have problems closing the app. adroid 7.0 is known as a problem with the DJI app. DJI please solve!
2017-4-28
Use props
TonyBergen
lvl.1
Netherlands

yes i did and it works on my S8 (exynos)
2017-4-28
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-28 08:14
I lost my Mavic flying on a Brand New SamSung Galaxy S8, T-Mobile customized,crashed twice in 5 flights.  Second crash the Mavic auto landed in the ocean.  I'd be careful flying with the Android 7.0 os.

Did you try the RTH button on the RC?  
Did you try the pause button on the RC?  

I have had disconnects, which appear to occur when I get close to our 20' one piece flagpole.  I have had a couple near a power line (both warned about in the manual).  Those things also effect reception (visible on my Samsung S7 with DJI GO4 v 4.06 and Android OS 7.0, but recorded flawlessy on the mavic.  I know my phone is not S8, but it is on Android 7.0.

In all of my cases the RC never lost control, only the app disconnects.  So I usually fly it back, but if not sure of orientation at 1900 feet distance I will go ahead and hit RTH to bring it back.  

I also had an instance that occurred the same time as my phone reconnected with the house wifi.  So I will probably try wifi off next time.

Hope this helps.
2017-4-28
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just got a chance fly the Mavic with Galaxy S8 +.

Unfortunately, it did crash after about 7 min of flying. Until then, it was perfect. Super smooth and responsive, no lags whatsoever. I'm wondering if there is an issue when recording/stop recording, as it crashed after I had stopped recording. Just looked at my screen and it was back to phone's main screen.

I might fly use my S8 regardless, as the flight experience is a lot more fluid. If I have the bird within line of sight, reasonable distance, not an issue, as I can fly it with the controller, while App is restarting.
But for long flight, I might have to revert to the S6.

Didn't try Litchi yet. But when batteries are fully charged, I'll give it a go with the Waypoints.
2017-4-28
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

hyderja Posted at 2017-4-28 05:39
I plug my phone in the controller and try to start the app and it will not even start on S8

Did you change the resolution? There is an option on the S8 to make apps compatible.

Don't have one, but I know it is there.
2017-4-28
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-4-28 12:38
Did you try the RTH button on the RC?  
Did you try the pause button on the RC?  

Bill, thanks for the input, but, the DJI GO 4 app crashed after a 10 minute flight over the ocean.  On restart the DJI GO 4 app opened telling me I was in a "NFZ" zone and auto-landed in the ocean.  After uploading the logs to Airdata.com I also discovered the Mavic reset its "Home Point" to the ocean directly beneath it on restart.  I would hesitate to fly using DJI GO 4 on any Android device if you are upgraded to .600 firmware.  

Here is the pertinent portion of my thread regarding my Mavic PRO loss and the flight log data.  First flight I'm streaming video to Facebook Live when DJI GO 4 app crashes.  Second flight log is what happened after DJI GO 4 app reconnected to Mavic Pro.

Ok,  here is the link to the flight on Airdata.com  Although it isn't displayed on my DJI Go Flight log the file is in there after following the directions of airdata.com  Thanks for the information about this service member CuaC. This is the first flight that was streaming video live to Facebook before the DJI GO 4 app crashed:

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=BhKopJ

After the DJI GO 4 app fatally crashed on my Samsung Galaxy S8, it restarted.  I left the Mavic Pro at the exact spot the drone was located at the time of the crash, about 70 feet high as the DJI Go 4 app restarted.  It then gave me an auto landing error and what I didn't know until analyzing this log is that it reset the home point directly above its last location in the ocean.  It apparently went into RTH mode and rose to 122 feet before auto landing into the ocean.  My battery life was 63% at the time of Death.... My Mavic was much too young to drown.. only activated for 3 weeks before succumbing to "autonomous fever"..

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=dgSYnp
2017-4-28
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flown today with the S8+ and Litchi - waypoints system.

Litchi didn't crash once, on a 15 min flight. Got a lot of trees in my area and I can barely reach 800m with very laggy/cut video feed on DJI Go 4. It was pretty similar with Litchi when going above 800m, but I did complete the full mission (about 900m away), with no signal loss.
The bigger screen is certainly nice, and the on-screen home button is so much more convenient. It doesn't get covered with the controller clamp.

I'll try more flying with DJI go 4 as I like it more overall for "general" flight.
2017-4-29
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

i flew with 2 batteries which werent full batteries because they auto discharged but it was fine on my s8+
2017-4-29
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-28 14:02
Bill, thanks for the input, but, the DJI GO 4 app crashed after a 10 minute flight over the ocean.  On restart the DJI GO 4 app opened telling me I was in a "NFZ" zone and auto-landed in the ocean.  After uploading the logs to Airdata.com I also discovered the Mavic reset its "Home Point" to the ocean directly beneath it on restart.  I would hesitate to fly using DJI GO 4 on any Android device if you are upgraded to .600 firmware.  

Here is the pertinent portion of my thread regarding my Mavic PRO loss and the flight log data.  First flight I'm streaming video to Facebook Live when DJI GO 4 app crashes.  Second flight log is what happened after DJI GO 4 app reconnected to Mavic Pro.

Thanks for the info.  I did find your post on another thread and saw all the detail.  I have had my GO4 app crash several times and sometimes it is retrievable by using the left key and tapping it.  A few times I restarted the app and it came right back.  I know in one case for sure it did not reset the RTH as after I brought it back most of the way I triggered RTH just to see what it would do.  Since I was around 200 feet, I figured to have time to override RTH.  Could you have hit critical battery low?

I never had a problem until with 4.0.1, etc., but when Android 7 and the app 4.0.5 came I had app disconnects, but no loss of RC control.  4.06 has been much better, but still occasionally an app disconnect (crash), but again, no loss of control.  I have only used two intelligent flight modes and when app crashes, the drone continued on that.  Brought back up and it was in same mode, so I could hit stop.  Anyway, I hope they get this straightened out.  One crash coincided with a ping on my phone that was a wifi email update, don't know if they correlate or just a coincidence.

I sure hope it all works out for you!
2017-5-1
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-5-1 12:20
Thanks for the info.  I did find your post on another thread and saw all the detail.  I have had my GO4 app crash several times and sometimes it is retrievable by using the left key and tapping it.  A few times I restarted the app and it came right back.  I know in one case for sure it did not reset the RTH as after I brought it back most of the way I triggered RTH just to see what it would do.  Since I was around 200 feet, I figured to have time to override RTH.  Could you have hit critical battery low?

I never had a problem until with 4.0.1, etc., but when Android 7 and the app 4.0.5 came I had app disconnects, but no loss of RC control.  4.06 has been much better, but still occasionally an app disconnect (crash), but again, no loss of control.  I have only used two intelligent flight modes and when app crashes, the drone continued on that.  Brought back up and it was in same mode, so I could hit stop.  Anyway, I hope they get this straightened out.  One crash coincided with a ping on my phone that was a wifi email update, don't know if they correlate or just a coincidence.

Thanks Bill, no battery issues.  As you can see app crashes with 67% battery on first flight.  Restarts and "auto-lands" with 63% battery life on second flight.  Home point reset to ocean on reconnect of DJI Go 4 app to Mavic on second flight.  Very bad situation for Pilot.  No control in a autonomous flight mode above the ocean.  My Mavic committed suicide by app crash!
2017-5-1
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-1 12:38
Thanks Bill, no battery issues.  As you can see app crashes with 67% battery on first flight.  Restarts and "auto-lands" with 63% battery life on second flight.  Home point reset to ocean on reconnect of DJI Go 4 app to Mavic on second flight.  Very bad situation for Pilot.  No control in a autonomous flight mode above the ocean.  My Mavic committed suicide by app crash!

maybe thats why mavics recently arent returning to home point because its getting reset?
2017-5-1
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-5-1 14:52
maybe thats why mavics recently arent returning to home point because its getting reset?

Well, I can't speak for the other Mavic incidents, but, in my Mavic's case it definitely did do just that according to the flight log and then simultaneously began to "auto land" giving me a unrecoverable situation.
2017-5-1
Use props
scavok
lvl.1
United States

I was at my friends house this weekend trying to fly and I couldn't.  Same as others have said, app would crash on open due to an issue with the resolution.  However the week prior I didn't have any issues.  Never changed any settings on my phone.  I'm using an S8+.  I uninstalled the app and re-installed it.  Didn't have any issues after that.  However, hearing these stories is really going to prevent me from flying now until DJI comes up with a fix.  I don't want to be flying 100+ feet in the air especially over water and the drone decides to drop.  
2017-5-2
Use props
fansd9d3570b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25269 ft
Switzerland

I have an issue with my Samsung Galaxy S8 plus. Each time I start the application DJI GO 4, I have this message: DJI GO 4 does not support the current Display size setting and may behave unexpectedly. I tried changing my display size but still the same error message.
2017-5-2
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansd9d3570b Posted at 2017-5-2 08:30
I have an issue with my Samsung Galaxy S8 plus. Each time I start the application DJI GO 4, I have this message: DJI GO 4 does not support the current Display size setting and may behave unexpectedly. I tried changing my display size but still the same error message.

Super weird. I'm set in WKHD+ and it's been working "fine" (apart from the occasional crash...)
2017-5-2
Use props
dv8ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 360322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Set your display to FHD+, delete/re-install Go 4 app, open app once in FHD+ then you can change to any display mode.
2017-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

My phone, Samsung S7 updated to Android 7.0.1 two days ago and today (3 May) I went outside and flew about and tried two different intelligent flight modes (auto track and POI).  Both flights uneventful and video recorded in 4K, no streaming issues to phone, app worked as advertised.  I am hopeful that this has brought back stability to the system.
One other thought.  On RTH, you have to press the RC button and hold (?about 2 sec) to trigger the return to home function.  To stop the process, press RTH again, or Press Pause button.  I read this in manual (although how long to press and hold was not specified) and I have exercised doing RTH and then resumed control.  The first time I did RTH button on RC, I did not press and hold and it did not respond.  After reading the manual again, I saw where it said press and hold in the button description for the RC, but not in the general discussion of the 3 different RTHs.  Another drone flyer said you can slide the Sport switch forward and that will cause it to hover also.

2017-5-3
Use props
fans2e0a0cd2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 831247 ft
Australia

Last Saturday a week ago i flew several long missions over water with no problem. The S8 was set to the default highest resolution.

Today DKI GO 4 will not start, either just crashing or saying the screen res was not supported.

I tried all of the alternative resolutions with no success.

It has worked with S8 out of the box before, so what changed.

No problems with my iPad so got the job done.
2017-5-10
Use props
fans2e0a0cd2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 831247 ft
Australia

Same here. Was ok 10 days ago.
2017-5-10
Use props
fansadb084b4
New
Flight distance : 25968 ft
Belgium

Can we contact DJI for this problemen?
2017-5-11
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

This solution should apparently fix your issue:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-95835-1-1.html

Can't confirm, as this didn't happen to me.
2017-5-11
Use props
Fruxen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

On my S8+ the app crashed immediately when I tried to open it the first time. Reinstall didn't help. But it worked after uninstall, clear the Google Play cache, download app and install again.

Once it also refused to open in high resolution mode, so I switched to a lower resolution. But it still opened later after I had changed to high resolution again. Seems to be some kind of bug.
2017-5-12
Use props
fanscb1f5a91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 375495 ft
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-28 08:14

I had to downgrade my phone to Android 6.0.1 to correct issue
2017-5-12
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fanscb1f5a91 Posted at 2017-5-12 11:59
I had to downgrade my phone to Android 6.0.1 to correct issue

I should be receiving my new Mavic next week.  I don't know what I'm gonna do?  Can't downgrade my SamSung S8 without hacking its ROM,, that will not be an option.  So,,,, looks like I'm gonna hope DJI gets this software fixed for Android use or buy a freak'n iPhone just to fly with??  Its very frustrating...
2017-5-12
Use props
Alonsomujica
New
United States

I have a Galaxy S8 Plus and i was getting the same problems with the app crashing saying the "Display was not supported" so here is what i did to get it to work. First i unistalled the App and delete all the app files in the phone. Then i went to the DJI website and downloaded the App directly from them. Now the app works even if i enable the feature "Full screen" aspect ratio for the app. The only problem i have is that the app will sometimes crash when the drone is on the air. Thanks god for the return home buttom on the controller so i guess it's not fully supported yet so be careful.. Anyways for some reason the version on the android 'Play Store' does not work on Galaxy S8 Phones and if you compare it to how big is the installer file in there to the one on the DJI Site. The one on the DJI Site is a lot bigger.
2017-5-17
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-12 12:34
I should be receiving my new Mavic next week.  I don't know what I'm gonna do?  Can't downgrade my SamSung S8 without hacking its ROM,, that will not be an option.  So,,,, looks like I'm gonna hope DJI gets this software fixed for Android use or buy a freak'n iPhone just to fly with??  Its very frustrating...

S8 is out of the box Nougat. Pretty sure it's not possible to install Marshmallow at all on it, even if rooted.

And, as it was mentioned in many other threads about Android compatibility, you could use Litchi.
2017-5-18
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

chalde Posted at 2017-5-18 03:33
S8 is out of the box Nougat. Pretty sure it's not possible to install Marshmallow at all on it, even if rooted.

And, as it was mentioned in many other threads about Android compatibility, you could use Litchi.

Well, I could probably side load Windows Mobile on it if I wanted,, haha,, but, your right that it would be a major undertaking and not a viable option for the new S8 hardware.  I'm thinking about running Litchi, but, that would void the warranty and what if I encountered an inflight issue again?  I'm sure DJI would raise that software as a "software violation" issue that would void warranty.  You do make an excellent point and one I'm considering.  Right now I'm a week into my order of a New Mavic with no shipment yet.  On the product page it says 15-20 days till shipment for Mavic PRO drones only.  Must be a shortage of boxes for a drone only as compared to New Mavics with RC controllers and chargers?  Once I receive the new drone I'll see what happens when connected to DJI GO 4 and whether I'm still getting the NFZ error before flight.   Litchi may be my best and certainly cheapest solution for flying with Android.  And this brings me to my bitching moment,, if Litchi app exists for Android and works reliably across a multitude of Android versions and hardware sets of different mobile devices,, why can't DJI programmers replicate the same in DJI GO 4 for Android?  (makes you go Hmmmm?)
2017-5-18
Use props
rsands
lvl.2
Australia

I have an S8 plus and works great.  Haven't had an issue with it yet.  Haven't flown much with .700 on it though   But app works fine on UHD or any screen resolution.  
2017-5-18
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-18 19:55
Well, I could probably side load Windows Mobile on it if I wanted,, haha,, but, your right that it would be a major undertaking and not a viable option for the new S8 hardware.  I'm thinking about running Litchi, but, that would void the warranty and what if I encountered an inflight issue again?  I'm sure DJI would raise that software as a "software violation" issue that would void warranty.  You do make an excellent point and one I'm considering.  Right now I'm a week into my order of a New Mavic with no shipment yet.  On the product page it says 15-20 days till shipment for Mavic PRO drones only.  Must be a shortage of boxes for a drone only as compared to New Mavics with RC controllers and chargers?  Once I receive the new drone I'll see what happens when connected to DJI GO 4 and whether I'm still getting the NFZ error before flight.   Litchi may be my best and certainly cheapest solution for flying with Android.  And this brings me to my bitching moment,, if Litchi app exists for Android and works reliably across a multitude of Android versions and hardware sets of different mobile devices,, why can't DJI programmers replicate the same in DJI GO 4 for Android?  (makes you go Hmmmm?)

I do feel the same way about flying with Litchi and the warranty, but if I crash the drone, it'll be probably of a flying mistake, and not App error... Which, to my knowledge, will be classified as "accident" and will be covered via DJI Care refresh, regardless of the App used:
"If damage occurs accidentally to your product under normal use, DJI Care Refresh offers up to two replacement units for a small additional charge each time the service is requested.
For the Mavic Pro, the aircraft, gimbal, camera, battery and propellers can be replaced."

Unless they consider flying with Litchi not normal use...

Anyone could confirm?
2017-5-19
Use props
skpManiac
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1092589 ft
  • >>>
Germany

hyderja Posted at 2017-4-28 05:04

Uninstall and re-install fixes that error on my S7 edge - I get it at every update and its doing my head in as I lose all my settings too
2017-5-19
Use props
fans897b4d82
lvl.1

United States

chalde Posted at 2017-4-28 12:41
Just got a chance fly the Mavic with Galaxy S8 +.

Unfortunately, it did crash after about 7 min of flying. Until then, it was perfect. Super smooth and responsive, no lags whatsoever. I'm wondering if there is an issue when recording/stop recording, as it crashed after I had stopped recording. Just looked at my screen and it was back to phone's main screen.

The reason the app crashes when you hit the record button or stop button is because youre also hitting the 3d button integrated on the phone. Its invisible behind the record button. If you turn the phone and make the home button on the other side you will be able to record and hit that button no problem. It just puts the S8 home button on the other side by the map. Also you may be able to hit record lightly and it wont activate the s8 home button. I noticed if you push it a little harder it activates the home button and this making it "crash" back to the home screen.
2017-5-28
Use props
DavidW802
New
Flight distance : 157648 ft
United States

I hadn't been able to get DJI GO to launch on my S8+ since the phone was released, I just uninstalled and re-installed it and it seems to be working. I have a tasker shortcut on my home screen that force kills all flight related apps and have Litchi ready to launch in case DJI crashes, I would recommend that as a backup in case DJI GO becomes unresponsive mid-flight, you'll have a way to take control again hopefully. Right now I'm sticking to using DJI GO only to change settings Litchi can't access and update firmware and sticking to actually flying with Litchi which almost never crashes, but doesn't have all the features of DJI Go which is frustrating.
2017-5-31
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32375 ft
United States

Anyone else having problems playing back DJI videos on your S8 or S8+.  I tired every resolution/frame rate and format available, none will play on the native samsung apps.  I can download the VLC player to watch the videos but my instagram will not recognize the videos and allow me to edit and post.  I tried a .mp4 file from my Yuneec drone and it played without issue.  Its seems there is a compatibility issue with the DJI videos.  Anyone else have this issue.

PS...  did a 10 min flight with my new S8+ with no issues or crashes.  
2017-7-5
Use props
Black Box
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221959 ft
United States

Alonsomujica Posted at 2017-5-17 19:30
I have a Galaxy S8 Plus and i was getting the same problems with the app crashing saying the "Display was not supported" so here is what i did to get it to work. First i unistalled the App and delete all the app files in the phone. Then i went to the DJI website and downloaded the App directly from them. Now the app works even if i enable the feature "Full screen" aspect ratio for the app. The only problem i have is that the app will sometimes crash when the drone is on the air. Thanks god for the return home buttom on the controller so i guess it's not fully supported yet so be careful.. Anyways for some reason the version on the android 'Play Store' does not work on Galaxy S8 Phones and if you compare it to how big is the installer file in there to the one on the DJI Site. The one on the DJI Site is a lot bigger.

How did you download directly form DJI site?  What is the url?
2017-7-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules