Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New USA FAA Facility Maps
1098 4 2017-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fontinalis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 975367 ft
United States

Hi All,

Here is theFAA press release from 27-Apr-17.

I won't try to summarize, other than they have mapped what appears to be mostly Class E airspace around smaller airports. Interestingly, a local area I thought was Class G is actually Class E down to 400' AGL. I understand that i can only fly under this space with FAA authorization. I do real estate aerials and may get a request to fly in this airspace. The turnaround for authorizations, as I understand, can be up to 90 days, which doesn't work in the real estate market, so I applied for a waiver.

Has anyone else looked at the maps and experienced similiar?

I've never tried to fly in this area, so don't know if the geofencing in the Go 4 app would have notified me.

Another question. I'm new to this world. Is there a more suitable forum for drone related FAA discussions? Perhaps the DJI forum is too global and more product focused.

Thanks,

Don

2017-4-28
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Your FAA neighborhood forum is the best forum to ask them the questions.. Get it from the Lion's mouth...

2017-4-28
Use props
Fontinalis
lvl.4
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-28 10:05
Your FAA neighborhood forum is the best forum to ask them the questions.. Get it form the Lion's mouth...

Thanks dronist. I couldn't google up any FAA forums so I sent an email to uashelp@faa.gov. If I get a response I'll post it here.
2017-5-1
Use props
Fontinalis
lvl.4
United States

I got a response from the FAA within 15 minutes. The gist of it is that we need authorization to fly in the grid displayed on the FAA Facility Map, even under the ceiling areas marked on the map. It's all Class E Surface airspace. In fact, looking at the sectional for my area I see a dashed magenta line that roughly matches the squares on the FAA Facility map.
2017-5-1
Use props
Fontinalis
lvl.4
United States

Fontinalis Posted at 2017-5-1 08:50
I got a response from the FAA within 15 minutes. The gist of it is that we need authorization to fly in the grid displayed on the FAA Facility Map, even under the ceiling areas marked on the map. It's all Class E Surface airspace. In fact, looking at the sectional for my area I see a dashed magenta line that roughly matches the squares on the FAA Facility map.

If anyone is following this, today I noticed that the FAA updated their facility map on 22-June. The prior map showed the Class E Surface area around a small airport, IFR/No AT tower in my area. They dropped that one off the map and added another one about 30 miles away that does have a tower.
2017-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules