Forum PM
1512 23 2015-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

DJI staff,

When, if at all, do you plan to fix the PM capability of your forum?  It currently doesnt work, even though user group permissions state that it is enabled.  Several of us would prefer to use your board for PM rather than email (and frankly when newcomers to your board want to PM with some of the more veteran members, having to publicly post email addys to connect privately is not a good practice).

Thanks for your response.
2015-3-5
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

While I can see the point of PM's for communicating between DJI Staff and users, I don't see the need to speak to other members privately.

This is a DJI forum and surly the whole point is to have open discussions about their products for all users to read, rather than promote a love in between members who only want to chat between themselves.
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

john, im talking about a way for users to simply share information to connect outside of the forums.  like sharing emails, phone numbers, etc when you dont want to publicly post that info.  but frankly the 'why' doesnt matter, they have a PM feature and it doesnt work.  so regardless of what you think it should be used for, a PM feature is there and one would expect it to work.
2015-3-5
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

you should try this forum section for your general forum requests that are not product specific.
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-3-6 04:52
you should try this forum section for your general forum requests that are not product specific.

funny, there is a post in that forum where a dji person says back in september that they'd be fixing this soon.  pretty funny.
2015-3-5
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

yep so don't  expect it to happen if you post it here in the P2 forum ;)
2015-3-5
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

PanamonCreel, that's a common trend in this forum particularly... At least the rhyming posts are gone
2015-3-5
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just an FYI about PM's - so I had them on my big forum which I ran for many years (hearth.com) - and all was well and good most of the time. But I found out the hard way that people "act out" when they assume no one is looking! We never monitored this until I heard that one member was "selling his influence" on our site for cash and products. This would be akin to me posting AND PMing members here constantly and telling them to buy another brand, etc..

So, I had to nip that one in the bud and get rid of the member (who was a BMOC on the site!).....I also had to look, for the first time, at the PM messages to prove that he was doing it....and sure enough, he was!

So, I nipped that one and a couple years go by - I don't monitor the PM's, but next thing you know there were a vast number of "plots" building up in the PM system! Users found all the little "features" and were using them for:
1. Having their own newsletters which would only go out via PM to their own list.
2. Talking mostly about how drunk they were at the moment and posting images were were....well, you know!

This stuff didn't bother me too much but I only found out about it after there was a full fledged mutiny of about 12 members...who then used the PM system by the thousands of messages - telling other members that we sucked and to come to their new site that they were going to start.

It was a long story, but we managed to finally get it under control. But I learned an important lesson over and over again...give an inch and they will take a foot!

A lot of the PM stuff is based on the idea that people are using alter ego's on some forums....which is understandable if you are on the fifty shades of grey discussion boards. On the other hand....one of the things which has been learned (why Facebook makes most people be who they really are) is that if you are you, then you generally act more responsibly. Point is, if you want to contact a member privately, most people will give an email address...like mine is cissod at gmail.

There is/was a real need for PM's on my other forums since there are literally thousands of models of the stoves and fireplaces...so many various transactions, from parts orders to trades to sending manuals and paperwork, occur over the PM system.

We did put in a number of rules regarding it's use.

One of the other downsides of PM's is that a lot of information which we all could use...ends up going to only one person.

Obviously it's DJI's call to make...but they may not want it used for poetry or pictures of Obama with his middle finger showing.
2015-3-5
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

I also posted this question the second day I was here.... and this was done without drinking my daily beer

All I heard was the sound of crickets, lost in the forum thicket

OK,  I'm with Gnixon2015 on this one.  EVERY other forum I frequent (6+ different car forums, 2 local community, and two vendor forums like DJI etc.) allow PM to the point raised by Gnixon2015 above.   
2015-3-5
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

At the very least they should remove the menu item if they don't intend to implement it, eh?
2015-3-5
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

What if two forum users discover they live close-by, and would like to get together for a flying session?
It's called making friends.
Might they not wish to exchange a PM?
Anyway, I don't care who knows my email address. That's why they make filters.
2015-3-5
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-3-6 05:26
PanamonCreel, that's a common trend in this forum particularly... At least the rhyming posts are gon ...

The poets got rid of your beloved spam.
2015-3-5
Use props
Guy
lvl.4

Australia

You should know by now that any idea to improve the forum will attract the negatives like flies! Man what is it with some who just don't like progress. Keep up the positive thinking and strive for improvement and to heck with the nay-sayers.

Regards

Guy
2015-3-5
Use props
Guy
lvl.4

Australia

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-6 06:24
The poets got rid of your beloved spam.

and got the thing stickied. How quickly they forget or refuse to acknowledge.

Regards

Guy
2015-3-5
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Guy Posted at 2015-3-6 07:05
and got the thing stickied. How quickly they forget or refuse to acknowledge.

Regards

Progress and privacy are not words in their vocabulary, but paranoid is as in plots to mutiny on the PM.
2015-3-5
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

The PM function would be OK as long as the option is there to opt out like most forums have. That way the people who want to use it can and the ones who don't won't receive any unwanted PM's.
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

birdfolk5555 Posted at 2015-3-6 06:19
What if two forum users discover they live close-by, and would like to get together for a flying ses ...

^this was exactly what i was thinking about bird.  you still remain my hero.  rawk on dude.
2015-3-5
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-6 08:21
^this was exactly what i was thinking about bird.  you still remain my hero.  rawk on dude.

Many forums allow you to put your home location in so you right away can see folks on the map. Others trace your IP number to do the same thing.

But, yeah, that's one good function of PM's. There are a number of great uses . And, yes, most forums...which are NOT corporate-owned....(independent) have PM's. These forums are typically run by a guy like you or I.

A corporation has to think and act a bit differently. Apple has forums but I don't think you can PM.....OK, I just checked and Apple does not have PM, but they allow you to post your email in your profile if you want to. So that would solve the "we live close by" deal.
2015-3-5
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-6 08:21

Think minds great alike.
2015-3-5
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

Now, to get on to more important matters: Any of you guys watch Discovery's GOLDRUSH? Me love it.
2015-3-5
Use props
Guy
lvl.4

Australia

birdfolk5555 Posted at 2015-3-6 10:38
Think minds great alike.

Fools beg to differ is the rest of that saying but before you reach for your shotgun you both don't qualify.

Regards

Guy
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

hey guy, i beg to differ oh wait...
2015-3-5
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-3-6 05:33
Just an FYI about PM's - so I had them on my big forum which I ran for many years (hearth.com) - and ...

Thanks for sharing your story! I think those predicted future problems should concern our admins as well.
We'll talk about that.
2015-3-5
Use props
trailtec
lvl.2

Australia

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-3-6 14:00
Thanks for sharing your story! I think those predicted future problems should concern our admins a ...

One way around this is to limit PMs both by the number of people that can recieve any one PM and the PM "flood" function that prevents the sending of many PMs in quick sucession. Both of these need to be implemented as a matter of course. I limit PMs for members to no more than five reciepients and the flood function is set at 3 PMs in any ten minute period. This is enough to prevent most bad intent PM exchanges and prevent PM spam.

I do agree that most if not all fora have PM enabeled as it certainly has it's uses.
2015-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules