Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Motors
1555 15 2017-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rustydiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1899895 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My son recently bought a factory referb 3 advanced.
Had a few flights all ok. Today we have noticed that one off the motors have blackening on the coil and one off the screws under it was loose.
Is it the motor burning out.
Looking on airdara the amps has risen up on one flight. What amp range should the motors draw.

Is there a way of confirming it is a referb item.

If we open it up would we invalidate the warranty.

2017-4-30
Use props
endotherm
Captain
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Don't open it if it is under warranty, you will invalidate it.  There is nothing inside that is relevant to your fault anyway.  You can see inside the motor from the top.  It should look like shiny copper wire coils covered in clear lacquer.  If they are black, they are probably burning out due to being overloaded.  If one is black and the others aren't, you probably have a problem.   The best test is to use your nose, does it smell like burned electronics?  It was sold as a refurb, they don't manufacture these any more, so it is likely to be a refurb.  That's not a bad thing, it has had someone look over it closely and had everything renewed to as brand new with a full warranty.  I'd be contacting DJI for a warranty repair if I were you, they will pay for transport and fix it under warranty.

Sometimes you can burn the motors out due to pilot error, e.g. a hard landing clipping the ground or other object, or completely flipping it.  Be aware the aircraft flight recorder will have data that DJI can read to establish if it is your fault or a warranty issue, and if you are unlucky they may charge you for the repair (they will quote you first).  Motors aren't very expensive and it should be an easy exchange for them.  You don't want it falling out of the sky because you cheaped out on this do you?  Also if it subsequently fails after the warranty runs out, it could potentially burn out the main board which is a rather expensive repair.  A loose motor screw is less of a problem than an overly tight screw or using a long screw.  Overtightening can crack the plastic arms, while excessively long screws can contact the coils in the motors and cause a short and damage the motor.  Long screws are usually a problem associated with using prop guards.  The current draw shown on AirData isn't necessarily because of a bad motor, it could be it was flown hard that flight or was overcoming strong winds.  It will show the current draw of ALL motors and electronics, so it isn't much of a diagnostic tool, especially if it was data from just one flight.
2017-4-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, contract DJI and get it sent in for your repairs....  

It shouldn't take too long to have it returned in good order...

RedHotPoker

2017-4-30
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Refurbs are supposed to have new serial numbers that start with the letter R
2017-4-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-4-30 15:09
Refurbs are supposed to have new serial numbers that start with the letter R

Surely that black copper winding in one motor wasn't shipped out that way.

One would hope... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-30
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Hard to say. Long as humans are involved, there will be mistakes.
I just had a Brand new, factory sealed Phantom 4 Pro Plus delivered with a broken remote control inside. There was not one single dent on the box, it was factory sealed and yet the metal 'leg' of the remote was broken on one side. Had to have been dropped on floor or bench by whoever packed up the kit. I returned the whole kit for refund.
2017-4-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-4-30 18:10
Hard to say. Long as humans are involved, there will be mistakes.
I just had a Brand new, factory sealed Phantom 4 Pro Plus delivered with a broken remote control inside. There was not one single dent on the box, it was factory sealed and yet the metal 'leg' of the remote was broken on one side. Had to have been dropped on floor or bench by whoever packed up the kit. I returned the whole kit for refund.

That's frustrating and upsetting. But atleast you had the return exchange advantage that many others don't have.... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-30
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-30 18:17
That's frustrating and upsetting. But atleast you had the return exchange advantage that many others don't have.... ;-)

Wasn't all that easy. I had bought it on eBay from a DJI dealer.
When I found the damage I contacted them. They told me to deal with DJI as it is a warranty issue.
DJI said that he was a 'Thrid party Dealer' so I would have to return it to him.
I had to open a case with eBay and threaten to go all the way with it and reverse the Paypal transaction before they agreed to accept it back.
I told the guy, Look, I know it isn't your fault because you didn't pack the box, but it isn't my fault either and I'm not going to get stuck with a damaged item.
You can deal with DJI, official (3rd party) dealer.   That did it, they sent me a prepaid return label.
2017-4-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-4-30 18:29
Wasn't all that easy. I had bought it on eBay from a DJI dealer.
When I found the damage I contacted them. They told me to deal with DJI as it is a warranty issue.
DJI said that he was a 'Thrid party Dealer' so I would have to return it to him.

Putting it mildly, for younger readers, I commend you for standing tall, and taking no bull. ;-)

I am happy the seller had enough class to respect your wishes, as the threat of legal action you shared can be very convincing. Haha

Glad that you got your drone replaced. Has the new one arrived yet, and was it a completely defect free package?

RedHotPoker
2017-4-30
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-30 18:36
Putting it mildly, for younger readers, I commend you for standing tall, and taking no bull. ;-)

Returned one arrives back to him tomorrow.
After his stubborn-ness, I am just going to take full refund.
Another thing that I had asked him for, which he wouldn't do was to send me a reciept that showed the serial number on it. He refused and said that I would never need it, that DJI could 'pull up the data' if I ever needed proof of purchase. That is insane.
It was a pretty good deal, but without a reciept with serial number on it, I would never be able to file any kind of warranty claim.

Sometimes you just have to get a little mean to get what's right.

2017-4-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-4-30 18:56
Returned one arrives back to him tomorrow.
After his stubborn-ness, I am just going to take full refund.
Another thing that I had asked him for, which he wouldn't do was to send me a reciept that showed the serial number on it. He refused and said that I would never need it, that DJI could 'pull up the data' if I ever needed proof of purchase. That is insane.

Wow, you sure stick to your guns. ;-) so to speak.
If you live within the lower 48, there must be numerous official DJI dealerships.
Surely you could find something closer to home...

RedHotPoker
2017-4-30
Use props
rustydiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1899895 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies. My so. Checked out the sieral number yesterday it is a referb one but it was registered with dji last Aug so he thinks it was originally sold returned and resold again. I think he is going to contact dji for advice then get back to where he bought it from. He is a bit bummed out. He is only 18 and has saved to buy it now can't fly it.
2017-4-30
Use props
endotherm
Captain
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

rustydiver Posted at 2017-4-30 21:21
Thanks for the replies. My so. Checked out the sieral number yesterday it is a referb one but it was registered with dji last Aug so he thinks it was originally sold returned and resold again. I think he is going to contact dji for advice then get back to where he bought it from. He is a bit bummed out. He is only 18 and has saved to buy it now can't fly it.

Sounds like he bought it from a reseller/agent, who may be selling returned stock.  Or perhaps it was sold second hand from a private owner.
2017-5-1
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-30 19:10
Wow, you sure stick to your guns. ;-) so to speak.
If you live within the lower 48, there must be numerous official DJI dealerships.
Surely you could find something closer to home...

Got the full refund today. Wasn't too much of a hassle. They paid shipping both ways.
Reason I went for it was it was a P4P+ for $1300. (Listing at $1799.)
I already have one and was going to rotate it out. Keep the new one and sell the one I currently have.
Guess it wasn't meant to be.
2017-5-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-5-1 19:39
Got the full refund today. Wasn't too much of a hassle. They paid shipping both ways.
Reason I went for it was it was a P4P+ for $1300. (Listing at $1799.)
I already have one and was going to rotate it out. Keep the new one and sell the one I currently have.

Thanks for the feedback and updates. Sorry your original plan never panned out. Just go with the fly, and enjoy what oh have. Perhaps in the future you can replicate the dual purchase.  

RedHotPoker
2017-5-9
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

sucks, but nice u did not get stuck with it!
2017-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules