Tipped the drone when trying to turn off the propellers...
6196 12 2017-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jimmy Two Times
Banned
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-4-30
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like you may be doing a CSC  - both sticks down and inward or down and outward to stop the motors.  That will turn the motors off, but can tip the aircraft. So, don't do use CSC stick maneuver to stop the propeller motors. Instead, just continue to hold the left stick down after the aircraft touches down and after 3 seconds, the motors will stop with no tipping.

Propellers are $10 for a set of two. Just buy new propellers - no sense taking any risks using even minimally damaged props just to save $10.
2017-4-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Props are cheap, better to throw them out and fit new ones.

With regard to shutting the aircraft down it sounds like you are using the (now discredited) CSC method, of both sticks down and inwards. This technique is known to tip the aircraft over. Better to use the left stick down method. Lower the aircraft until it touches ground, then keep the left stick down for another 3econds and the motors will shut down.

And no, doing this in flight will NOT cause the3 motors to shut off in the air.
2017-4-30
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

The dreaded CSC strikes again!!
Also, if you change to using just left stick down to kill motors, make sure it goes straight down. A little left or right can rock her as well.
Bear in mind that all Phantoms are a bit top heavy and have a very small footprint compared to the total radius of all props. (Skyprint, if you will!)
2017-4-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I thought the OP was unnecessarily attempting to shut the drone down at the flight battery.... That would be a Nono.
Resulting in an equally bad catastrophe, parallel to the CSC stick maneuver....

I hope that this free lesson will be forever remembered.... ;-)
Once you land, just pull the left stick fully down, and hold for three seconds. Leave the right stick static/still.

RedHotPoker
2017-4-30
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

"1. Can I still use those propellers? "

There may be hairline fractures that you can't see with the naked eye.  New propellers are very cheap insurance against damaged props causing your unit to fall from the sky.  You make the call.

2017-4-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Goldchucker Posted at 2017-4-30 23:16
"1. Can I still use those propellers? "

Props are fairly easy to inspect. By giving them a little bend, or twist you should be able to see even hairline fractures, in good light. Yes they are cheap enough to replace, but why waste them, if they are still in good nick?

RedHotPoker
2017-4-30
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

For the cost of the new props, and the cost of a new drone if it falls from sky because of prop failure,, the comparison is a no brainier..
2017-5-1
Use props
DIott3113
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1797516 ft
United States

If you can feel damage to the propellers, I would strongly suggest that you replace
them as they are likely out of balance.  As to the tipping to one side during take-off, I would make sure that you're that you're not inadvertantly pressing on the right stick which would cause the P4 to tip to the side or forward  Also if you're flying in windy condition this may cause tilting during take-off.  In this case you need to compensate for the wind with appropriate moves of the right stick.
2017-5-1
Use props
Pegasus
lvl.4

France

The tipping thing happened to me many years ago when I first got the P2 Vision.  I then started to hand catch and never had a problem since.
Change the props.
2017-5-1
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

Use the auto land function and the propellers will turn off by themselves with no input from you, safest way to land.
2017-5-2
Use props
fans071a25e3
New

United Kingdom

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-5-2 14:13
Use the auto land function and the propellers will turn off by themselves with no input from you, safest way to land.

Hey there I'm new to this drone business, but holding the sticks down to turn off the propellers seems like the most ridiculous idea ever? Would be ok if sensors were involved to sense that it was in a landed state, but this feature should definitely be disabled when flying? Or am I genuinely not understanding and you cannot disable propellers whilst in flight?

I had heard stories of people accidently turning off their propellers mid flight and if this is even a possibility, I'd like to have this feature completely disabled before flying?

Any experienced person here like to chip in on this please? cheers
2021-6-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans071a25e3 Posted at 6-1 05:57
Hey there I'm new to this drone business, but holding the sticks down to turn off the propellers seems like the most ridiculous idea ever? Would be ok if sensors were involved to sense that it was in a landed state, but this feature should definitely be disabled when flying? Or am I genuinely not understanding and you cannot disable propellers whilst in flight?

I had heard stories of people accidently turning off their propellers mid flight and if this is even a possibility, I'd like to have this feature completely disabled before flying?

The CSC method definitely works while the aircraft is in flight. Its purpose is to allow the operator to quickly get the aircraft out of the sky in an emergency situation. It is not intended to be used under normal circumstances.

Oh, and just holding the sticks in a down position will not turn off the motors, you also have to move both sticks to the inside position or outside position at the same time. There should not be any normal flight situation where the sticks would end up in those positions.

2021-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules