Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Post production
2960 11 2015-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
piotr.pawlowski
lvl.1

Poland

OK, I have raw material now to start making my first movie. I did convert some raw material using the Transcoding tool (I'm Mac user) and ... the output is 5x larger than original raw footage from DJI camera. Is it normal? I'm new to video editing (I'm photo hobbyist for 14 years), so all the software is new to me as well. Any tips for colour settings. So far using automatic correction settings, but they don't look realistic to me. Below is example:

On the left trascoded video with Automatic balance, on the right raw footage:

Can you share a good webpage with tips for video editing (Final Cut X).

Many thanks and regards

Piotr

2015-3-5
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

Heres my workflow.

Load card onto Mac
Transfer original .mov files to raided external thunderbolt drive
Open NLE of choice
Import files wherever they reside on your external
Edit native files if you have the graphics card to support it OR learn to work with proxies if using FCPx or reduce the resolution in Premier for smooth playback without dropping frames.

Tip lay down your first clip, lay down music to first clip. Time music with markers for transition cues. Rough cut entire movie first. Go back add transitions, Color correct + grade last. Final render. Go with the grain =)
2015-3-5
Use props
wolftj
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

scooterlam - do you use the transcoding tool or not? I just ran my first file through it and was really surprised how much better it looked afterwards without any other processing.
2015-3-5
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

wolftj@mindspri Posted at 2015-3-6 09:32
scooterlam - do you use the transcoding tool or not? I just ran my first file through it and was rea ...

Wolftj, that might just be because you shot in LOG and transcoding just brought up the contrast/saturation so it looked better.   This is best left for the final stage of color grading as you will not know which moments are the ones you will ultimately use plus you may make different decisions based on the previous and next clip in the sequence.

It's easy enough to put a temporary LUT or correction on during editing so it looks nice, then remove them before grading, but always best to use the original source files if possible throughout.
2015-3-6
Use props
kevin
lvl.1

United States

Scooterlam - I appreciate your frequent posts on video related issues with inspire.  I got mine to film, not just fly and am just starting to work out managing camera settings for shoots.  I'm setting my shutter speed and frame rate manually aiming for 180 ratio for the look I prefer, what other settings are you leaving to manual vs. auto?  Thanks.
2015-3-6
Use props
wolftj
lvl.4
United States

jimhare- thanks for the reply. My questions still remain; use transcoding tool or not? The video was shot in LOG as has been suggested in this forum. I really don't have much understanding of the nuances of videography so keep it simple please. I am using FCPx to cut, have somewhat dated experience cutting video, back when 3/4" and BetaCam were the standard. CCD cameras were cutting edge, digital was a dream. What is a 180 ratio that kevin mentioned?
2015-3-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Hi, Yep, I stem from the BetaCam days as well!

No, I don't use the transcoder, I use DaVinci Resolve to process the clips, but you can use FCPx, it will work great.   If your computer is fast enough you should be able to work directly with the MP4/MOV files that come off the Inspire, then color correct to taste.   From the LOG files you'll need to add contrast and saturation and then any specialty looks you are after using their built-in color correct tools.

If you don't like to mess around from scratch, there are some pretty good LUTS (think of them like presets) that will get your log footage looking pretty good in a variety of different looks.  You need to play with them a bit as they sometimes come on too strong, but all in all give a nice starting point for easy grading.

These ones are pretty good and might be worth it if you want a head start -
http://neumannfilms.net/product/dji-inspire-1-luts/

Just be aware that to use them in FCPx you will also need this plug in:
http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/lututility

All up it would cost $75 but might be just what you're looking for.

scooterlam might have further ideas and gets great results.

Jim
2015-3-7
Use props
wolftj
lvl.4
United States

Jim, excellent. Thanks! Gonna get both and see how it does. Easy is good.

Tim
2015-3-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

wolftj@mindspri Posted at 2015-3-8 09:12
Jim, excellent. Thanks! Gonna get both and see how it does. Easy is good.

Tim

Fantastic, let us know how you go and post some footage!
2015-3-7
Use props
piotr.pawlowski
lvl.1

Poland

Many thanks for all the advices. I hope I will be able to share the result soon.
2015-3-8
Use props
pmazzoni1
New

Italy

thanks guys, I'm actually new on video filming and enjoy flying my inspire 1. I use the free "Gopro studio" for editing the originals files and I it's easy also for slowmotions etc....maybe I should move forward in the "editing world"...??!
2015-3-8
Use props
pmazzoni1
New

Italy

by the way...I use a Macbook pro retina 8gb ram and 500 GB SSD for editing...
2015-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules