Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CNN / DJI Mavic covered in tin foil
4891 27 2017-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Elektrica
Captain
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Why is this CNN journalist in Mosul covering the DJI Mavic in tin foil?
Is this some way to shield it from interference?

IMG_0338.jpg
IMG_0339.jpg

2017-5-1
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Maybe this way he blocks GPS, hence no fly zone?
2017-5-1
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Elektrica Posted at 2017-5-1 05:13
Maybe this way he blocks GPS, hence no fly zone?

That's very likely correct on both accounts (what he wanted the aluminum foil to accomplish and why).
2017-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes block gps, but his sandwich will go stale lol
2017-5-1
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

yes it's a get around for the NFZ in Iraq and Syria . I think altitude will still be restricted in Atti mode though .
2017-5-1
Use props
jeebs-9
First Officer
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Yup it's the best way to block gps. But he's also blocking the heat sync. He could of used a wire strap to do the same thing.
2017-5-1
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-5-1 05:33
Yup it's the best way to block gps. But he's also blocking the heat sync. He could of used a wire strap to do the same thing.

jeebs,     Good point about covering up the heat sink, if does this a lot his Mavic will and is going to drop out of the sky due to the heat cooking the electronic components
2017-5-1
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the GPS antennae are in the rotor arms, so just covering them may be sufficient.
2017-5-1
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-5-1 06:44
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the GPS antennae are in the rotor arms, so just covering them may be sufficient.

Griffith , The Rx antennas are in the front rotor arms , I believe the GPS is in the rear body above the light

2017-5-1
Use props
digitalintruder
First Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

As everyone else answered - his GPS, but it also blocks the exhaust vents - which might cause other problems. I'm surprised he doesn't just ask for an exception to fly it - oh wait, it's fake news CNN he's probably on a set.
2017-5-1
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Maybe because it is A scary flying experience for the MAVIC and he had to put diapers on him...  
2017-5-1
Use props
Evaunit01berser
lvl.1
Flight distance : 150427 ft
United States

The entire story is a bunch of hyped up BS.

He is claiming he needs to hide his gps signal so ISIS can't find him, which it is really about the NFZ.  Then you see him flying backwards doing all these bad ass action shots dodging stuff he can't see with the camera, so he is obviously in view of the drone somewhere.  Also the "civilians" don't give a damn about the drone flying over. Thats BS, they literally scatter at anything that buzzes in the air thinking its a incoming bombing.
2017-5-1
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Evaunit01berser Posted at 2017-5-1 10:02

He is claiming he needs to hide his gps signal so ISIS can't find him, which it is really about the NFZ.  Then you see him flying backwards doing all these bad ass action shots dodging stuff he can't see with the camera, so he is obviously in view of the drone somewhere.  Also the "civilians" don't give a damn about the drone flying over. Thats BS, they literally scatter at anything that buzzes in the air thinking its a incoming bombing.

In his defense, just being there must not be that much fun...Maybe the story is just fudged up a bit, but he's still in a war zone
2017-5-1
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-5-1 06:59
As everyone else answered - his GPS, but it also blocks the exhaust vents - which might cause other problems. I'm surprised he doesn't just ask for an exception to fly it - oh wait, it's fake news CNN he's probably on a set.

Not nearly as fake as so many other people of power these days. News should be the least of our worries. There're people making stuff up all day long and they control nations. Fox has been making stuff up for more than a decade, way before CNN and they're still there, watched religiously by millions of people that live in alternate reality. BTW, Fox's VP just resigned, amid yet another scandal. I wonder why right wingers always feel the need to try to control sexually women like it was the 50s.
I still respect someone that is in a danger zone.
2017-5-1
Use props
Mcflying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

this explains it all
early post

2017-5-1
Use props
digitalintruder
First Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

Elektrica Posted at 2017-5-1 11:29
Not nearly as fake as so many other people of power these days. News should be the least of our worries. There're people making stuff up all day long and they control nations. Fox has been making stuff up for more than a decade, way before CNN and they're still there, watched religiously by millions of people that live in alternate reality. BTW, Fox's VP just resigned, amid yet another scandal. I wonder why right wingers always feel the need to try to control sexually women like it was the 50s.

In response to your political soapbox: It was a jab a CNN - not a political statement. But if you must - CNN is hot garbage. They stage pieces, have an obvious hard left bias (it was hilarious watching them on election night. the tears!) CNN is basically buzzfeed to me and I won't be surprised when they start running articles like "You can tell how good of drone pilot you are by the potato chips you eat with your left hand"

Regardless of your political beliefs - or news channel(s) you watch - I find droning about 10-fold more interesting.
2017-5-1
Use props
BluesDragon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 634291 ft
United States

C'mon... where ya people been? It's obviously so the Aliens can't get into his MP's head! {:4_177:}
2017-5-1
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Copper works better and you don't need that much....
2017-5-1
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-5-1 12:22
In response to your political soapbox: It was a jab a CNN - not a political statement. But if you must - CNN is hot garbage. They stage pieces, have an obvious hard left bias (it was hilarious watching them on election night. the tears!) CNN is basically buzzfeed to me and I won't be surprised when they start running articles like "You can tell how good of drone pilot you are by the potato chips you eat with your left hand"

Regardless of your political beliefs - or news channel(s) you watch - I find droning about 10-fold more interesting.

I tend to fly, therefore I aspire to freedom and detached views, even from politics.
2017-5-1
Use props
Evaunit01berser
lvl.1
Flight distance : 150427 ft
United States

He's in about as minimal danger as he would be in detroit in the area that he is actually in. This is a literal insult to actual service members.
2017-5-1
Use props
JayaTheCat
lvl.1
United States

Lol, you are a moron.
2017-5-1
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

1. I did NOT initiate uncalled political comments.
2. I am sure this is the perfect arena to discuss politics.
3. I was merely offering a different point of view, given the trend that was emerging.
4. I am possibly a moron, maybe not, who knows. I am sure the intellectual depth of this thread is going to enlighten me :-) How tin foil can end up in trashing someone's work is fascinating.
2017-5-1
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-1 06:50
Griffith , The Rx antennas are in the front rotor arms , I believe the GPS is in the rear body above the light

Right you are, SW
2017-5-2
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
First Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Evaunit01berser Posted at 2017-5-1 10:02

I agree, there is some stuff that does not really "add up" with his statements and/or actions.
2017-5-2
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 2017-5-2 06:41
I agree, there is some stuff that does not really "add up" with his statements and/or actions.

If I saw a flying piece of tin foil coming down the street, what could go wrong I'm running too.
2017-5-2
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-1 06:50

Exactly the GPS is inside that panel,  where the dji logo is.
2017-5-2
Use props
Geoff Reyes
lvl.1

United States

He thinks its gonna be bulletproof
2019-6-25
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Intriguing how some aluminum foil can garner so much activity.
2019-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules