Ipad Mini 2 IOS 10.3.1 and Video Lagging Started
1600 10 2017-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bmbk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5085 ft
Malaysia

I bought a new Ipad Mini 2 because it was listed as supported device. Install only 1 app (Dji Go 4) on it just to use it with my Mavic.

Everything was running fine, until the recent few updates of IOS that brought the device to IOS version 10.3.1

Now, I practically cannot use any more IPad Mini 2 with DJi Go 4. During long trip like around 3 to 4 KM and back. The Ipad starts heating up and the video lags like crazy.

I did some homework and study few forums, about tweaking the iOS and setting on Dji Go 4, but none worked. Examples.

1. Enable hardware acceleration in Dji Go 4
2. Enable reduce motion in ipad.
3. On Airplane mode.
4. Off Cache video in Dji Go 4
5. Background app refresh
............The list goes on. Including complete reset, restore, restart before each fly, you just name it !

So now, i am wondering, i spend the money on Ipad is practically gone, as new IOS being introduced, Apple brought new features to the Ipad and makes the IOS too heavy to operate Dji Go 4.

I hope there is a workaround for this, or at least in the supported device stated by Dji, Ipad mini 2 should be stated as only up to certain IOS, or completely removed from the supported Device.

Please tell me if i am doing anything wrong.
2017-5-2
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You need to use at least MINI4... Sorry!
2017-5-2
Use props
The Doctor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 258186 ft
Sweden

dronist Posted at 2017-5-2 06:17
You need to use at least MINI4... Sorry!

Really??

I use an ipad mini 2 (wifi + cell) 16Gb running ios 10.3.1. I have a few apps installed and ~9Gb free space. It is mainly used for flying the Mavic and I have the video cache enabled. Yes, it gets a bit warm but I can easily get 6-8 flights before a recharge and the video lag is almost non-existent. For me the mini 2 is perfect and way better than the android app that crashes before I've even taken off!
2017-5-2
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Doctor Posted at 2017-5-2 08:13
Really??

I use an ipad mini 2 (wifi + cell) 16Gb running ios 10.3.1. I have a few apps installed and ~9Gb free space. It is mainly used for flying the Mavic and I have the video cache enabled. Yes, it gets a bit warm but I can easily get 6-8 flights before a recharge and the video lag is almost non-existent. For me the mini 2 is perfect and way better than the android app that crashes before I've even taken off!

Doctor, I have the MINI2 and I had issue with it when I started using GO4 app and that is why I switched to MINI4 faster processor helps with the ever demanding and hungry GO4 APP.

P.S. I never used or use Android devices...  
2017-5-2
Use props
The Doctor
lvl.2
Sweden

dronist Posted at 2017-5-2 08:21
Doctor, I have the MINI2 and I had issue with it when I started using GO4 app and that is why I switched to MINI4 faster processor helps with the ever demanding and hungry GO4 APP.

P.S. I never used or use Android devices...

Strange, I have GO4 (4.0.8) installed and ios 10.3.1....did 2 x 20 mins flights yesterday (back to back) and absolutely no problems with video lag at all....guess I must just be lucky!
2017-5-2
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The Doctor Posted at 2017-5-2 08:35
Strange, I have GO4 (4.0.8) installed and ios 10.3.1....did 2 x 20 mins flights yesterday (back to back) and absolutely no problems with video lag at all....guess I must just be lucky!

I see bmbk, the thread originator lives in Malaysia where it is probably much warmer than in the UK and is more likely to have overheating problems with his iPad and thus the slowdown.
2017-5-2
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Doctor Posted at 2017-5-2 08:35

Hey, don't JINX yourself...   
2017-5-2
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-5-2 09:05
I see bmbk, the thread originator lives in Malaysia where it is probably much warmer than in the UK and is more likely to have overheating problems with his iPad and thus the slowdown.

You might have something here!
2017-5-2
Use props
The Doctor
lvl.2
Sweden

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-5-2 09:05

No 'probably' about it!! I completely agree that 30-40C ambient could be causing issues for the OPs ipad mini 2 that we just aren't going to see in the UK (~10C yesterday when flying), well maybe once a year! My 'second ipad' is an Air 2, so I know what the A8X processor and 2Gb of RAM can do for the (ever expanding) GO4 app, but it's just too big to be comfortable when flying the Mavic. In the UK at present the mini 2 and Air 2 perform pretty much the same for me with regard to video lag.
2017-5-2
Use props
bmbk
lvl.3
Malaysia

yeah guys, the ambient temp in Malaysia is around 30 to 35, so that adds to the heating. Obviously heating causes the ipad to reduce the processor speed, which results in lagging.
2017-5-2
Use props
bmbk
lvl.3
Germany

Anyone from DJI can comment on this? Why Ipad mini 2 is in the recommended list if it’s not compatible in certain scenario like (new IOS, hot country etc).

I just wasted my money for trusting the recommendation from DJI. At put up a precaution on the recommended devices so that at least someone else will not get into the same trouble like me.
2017-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules