Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CRAZY UNSEEN MAVIC PRO FOOTAGE
1234Next >
7718 154 2017-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

What's up guys?

Before I begin, let me tell you that some of you are going to hate me, but i still wanted to speak with you.
I've been flying drones for 7 years now and I consider myself to be an experienced pilot. Even if haven't always followed all the restrictions in place, I believe that I am a responsible pilot and that I have never put anyone I risk.

I travel around the world and I fly in crazy locations. I'm working on a youtube channel now, but in the meantime, you can check some of my flights on my instagram account: @the_sky_explorer

I guarantee you that you'll find some kind of footage you've never seen before, here are a few links to some of my posts. Let me know your thoughts!

The eiffel tower: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPLF9JhFFdP/?hl=en

Following a helicopter (flown privately on a private property thoroughly planned with the pilot): https://www.instagram.com/p/BTEykP7FWMV/?hl=en

Another one of Paris: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQI8jvUlKV8/?hl=en

Big Ben in London: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPp4655FyTN/?hl=en

Don't hesitate to check me out on insta for daily posts: the_sky_explorer

Cheers

2017-5-2
Use props
patman89
Second Officer
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

Awesome stuff. But if you fly without permission, this throws a bad light on the legal drone pilots :-(

Hope they don't add more regulation to the drone flights because of guys like you.

Nevertheless, your videos and pictures are really cool and nice to watch!
2017-5-2
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

Thanks for your answer boss. I understand your point of view. I think today that the only places that legal drone pilots are allowed to fly are most of the time boring, and that nothing will happen to these places because they are deserted anyway. I think that the laws can't really get worse than they have gotten in the past year, so im trying to enjoy the rest as long as its still possible, because soon it won't be, wether i fly or not. But i respect your opinion of course.

Glad you enjoyed the footage !!
2017-5-2
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

theskyexplorer Posted at 2017-5-2 07:08
Thanks for your answer boss. I understand your point of view. I think today that the only places that legal drone pilots are allowed to fly are most of the time boring, and that nothing will happen to these places because they are deserted anyway. I think that the laws can't really get worse than they have gotten in the past year, so im trying to enjoy the rest as long as its still possible, because soon it won't be, wether i fly or not. But i respect your opinion of course.

Glad you enjoyed the footage !!

You're wrong.  Your decision to fly like that are why the rules exist today.  They can and will get much worse.  

You are not the only person who feels they are above the law.  

You are not the only person who feels that the laws and regulations that a large group of people came to in an effort to provide safety to the general community do not apply to you.

I've flown the quads for years without any regulation.  Then guess what?  People like you and every other person who has their own baseless excuse as to why they are ruining the hobby suddenly appeared.  Now - we have extensive regulation.

If you can't follow very basic rules you simply don't deserve to fly.  You are the reason why regulations exist today.  One simply mistake - one wrong GPS signal, one bad cell in a battery and you will be the next contestant on How do we prosecute this guy?
2017-5-2
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-5-2 07:57
You're wrong.  Your decision to fly like that are why the rules exist today.  They can and will get much worse.  

I second that and I could NOT have said it better....  

SAFETY FIRST - FUN SECOND
2017-5-2
Use props
81SFORLIFE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 313281 ft
United States

Subscribed! Awesome videos
2017-5-2
Use props
Airobotix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Great, just what we all need, another cowboy to F*%# it up for the rest of us.
2017-5-2
Use props
Fractures
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

I'm with OP on this one, almost 90% of all the sh** we bought these drones to see is restricted. Wanna fly in National Parks.. restricted, State Parks... restricted, Cities...restricted, the Beach...restricted. I didn't buy my drone to fly around in a empty field and its not how I plan to use it.

The people who are causing increased Drone regulation are the ones flying onto people back porches and flying their drones into buildings because they dont know how they work. If we are responsible pilots then there shouldnt be anything wrong with flying in these areas which is why people who are confident choose to do so.

I'm assuming all of you guys follow the speed limit every day and have never broken a law in your lifes huh?

2017-5-2
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

Fractures Posted at 2017-5-2 09:26
I'm with OP on this one, almost 90% of all the sh** we bought these drones to see is restricted. Wanna fly in National Parks.. restricted, State Parks... restricted, Cities...restricted, the Beach...restricted. I didn't buy my drone to fly around in a empty field and its not how I plan to use it.

The people who are causing increased Drone regulation are the ones flying onto people back porches and flying their drones into buildings because they dont know how they work. If we are responsible pilots then there shouldnt be anything wrong with flying in these areas which is why people who are confident choose to do so.

Agreed... Sorry to say it, but people need to stop being so hypocritical and S.T.(F)Hell.U!

Perfectly valid point how you could almost guarantee that 99.9% if not 100% of drivers have broken the speed limit.

All of a sudden its convenient for them to complain about people breaking the rules with regards to drones.

In the UK we get people from villages/towns who volunteer to use mobile speed cameras for the police to catch people speeding. Not prosecutable as they;re members of the public, but they send warning letters out from the police... Anyway, you can guarantee that the people complain about drone laws being broken, are the hypocritical t**** that speed past those speed cameras complaining that they've got nothing better to do with their lives!
2017-5-2
Use props
method007
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I think you meant to ask "I'm assuming all of you guys follow the speed limit every day and have never broken a law, then filmed it then posted online and made a forum post to drive views towards your video showing you broke the law regarding a hobby that is currently under heavy government scrutiny world wide, in your lifes huh?"

The speed limit on a highway and drone regulations are not related, there is no reason to compare them.  Also, using the argument of "but other people break other laws" is a fallacy, it's not an argument.  There is no excuse for messing up the hobby for the rest of us.  Your reasoning is completely without any base other than selfishness.  We all want to fly there too - we don't because of the rules.  
2017-5-2
Use props
method007
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Trent Mavic Posted at 2017-5-2 09:38
Agreed... Sorry to say it, but people need to stop being so hypocritical and S.T.(F)Hell.U!

Perfectly valid point how you could almost guarantee that 99.9% if not 100% of drivers have broken the speed limit.

Actually regulations exist for safety, it's unrelated to what is happening in the UK or if it's convenient for people to complain.  They are solely based on safety.  Whatever your argument is, if you choose to ignore them, you are choosing to ignore safety.  You can colorize your reasoning however you want but it still stops at the same point - ignoring safety.  

Saying "I think we should be able to ignore safety because it's convenient to complain and people sometimes speed on the highway" just doesn't make any sense.
2017-5-2
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-5-2 10:11
I think you meant to ask "I'm assuming all of you guys follow the speed limit every day and have never broken a law, then filmed it then posted online and made a forum post to drive views towards your video showing you broke the law regarding a hobby that is currently under heavy government scrutiny world wide, in your lifes huh?"

The speed limit on a highway and drone regulations are not related, there is no reason to compare them.  Also, using the argument of "but other people break other laws" is a fallacy, it's not an argument.  There is no excuse for messing up the hobby for the rest of us.  Your reasoning is completely without any base other than selfishness.  We all want to fly there too - we don't because of the rules.

To be completely honest with you - drone pilots did not cause the regulations. Media did. And the nanny state couple with that. I honestly love the arguments - we will not allow drones to fly in the center of Berlin due to terrorist threat. Of course we all know that no terrorist has ever disregarded a regulation and can now sleep peacefully. Seriously?

What we need is a revolution and this is not something we will enjoy either - so just fly, take care and hope for the best. And yes - screw the bull$hit laws.
2017-5-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

This is not all about speeding cars, there are many commercial pilots who have invested a lot of money and earn they're living flying drones, they can get permission to fly in many of these locations but have to bear the cost of applying for an SOP to photograph of film many of these areas.

They have trained, they have staff ,insurance, overheads , permission and there license, anyone else who wants to photograph or video in these areas can apply for there license put together an operations manual and then apply for specific operations permission, then in a legal manner go use they're drone.

If you were in London/ New York or any other major city you can't just arrive with a yellow taxi / black taxi etc and just go pick people up and taxi them about, you must first do all the necessary protocols to become a taxi driver.

So if you go fly illegally use your video or photography to make money then literally you take the bit out of a commercial pilots mouth, and remember most flying illegal in no go areas are without public liability insurance, and really don't care if someone or someone's property gets damaged.
2017-5-2
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I understand the sentiment of the OP and the desire to get great video but you don't have to break the law to do that (well, at least in many parts of the world including the USA). You just need to get off the beaten track and hike to some of the beautiful wilderness areas. There are fabulous and legal places to fly. That said, I see the OP is from Belgium.  I am not sure but it may be much harder to find these places in Europe.
2017-5-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-5-2 13:02
I understand the sentiment of the OP and the desire to get great video but you don't have to break the law to do that (well, at least in many parts of the world including the USA). You just need to get off the beaten track and hike to some of the beautiful wilderness areas. There are fabulous and legal places to fly. That said, I see the OP is from Belgium.  I am not sure but it may be much harder to find these places in Europe.

The OP has filmed Big Ben in London, Eiffel Tower in France , Europe is filled with wilderness, also home of some of the largest mountains in the world, if he can travel to Paris London , then he will have no problem finding great places to film.
2017-5-2
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

I hate these discussions. I knew they were going to happen. But you and many others say: those regulations are there because of ppl like him.

What you are actually saying then is: if there wouldn't be any ppl like him, people would be allowed to fly there? Or just that there wouldn't be any regulations but you still would not fly there because of common sense? tbh, what is the difference... You would still not fly there then I guess...
2017-5-2
Use props
JayaTheCat
lvl.1
United States

Good for you man.

I won't fly over people, but I'll sure as hell fly over other places that are restricted. The laws have gotten out of control and the Governments (all of them) have overreached, as usual. We all have to make the decision to follow ridiculous laws or not. If you choose to be that person, don't preach to those who don't. We don't care.
2017-5-2
Use props
Duncs65
lvl.1
Flight distance : 232264 ft
Australia

OMG - Brilliant, and Ballsy - Well Done
2017-5-2
Use props
Kslank76
lvl.1
United States

Nees Posted at 2017-5-2 15:35
I hate these discussions. I knew they were going to happen. But you and many others say: those regulations are there because of ppl like him.

What you are actually saying then is: if there wouldn't be any ppl like him, people would be allowed to fly there? Or just that there wouldn't be any regulations but you still would not fly there because of common sense? tbh, what is the difference... You would still not fly there then I guess...

Very well said.  I'm a new drone pilot and have no restrictions where I fly.  But I do find it crazy that "some" people think it is totally wrong and unsafe to fly a drone in a restricted area, because it's the law and unsafe, but at the same time say that speeding in a car is totally different, but is not a safety issue?  Exactly what is the speed limit for?  Oh yes, the safety of yourself and "OTHER" drivers.  It is 100% the same exact thing.  And, there are millions of videos of people speeding on youtube, probably a million times as many illegal drone videos.  

It is sad so many people are hypocritical.  All of a sudden some people have the right to break the laws they choose, and that is OK, but hell on you if you break a drone law.

Everyone has to be responsible.  In a car or flying a drone and any other aspect of life.
2017-5-2
Use props
Stooky
United States

I agree to some laws in areas especially near large crowds and Air space where aircraft may be present (only because it could be a new guy who goes out and hits someone), Maybe make to where  there is an actually license(especially photographers) to  do these things yeah people would still do it without but give some of us the benefit of a doubt   for the ones that want to do it legally. I don't really see the whole thing about National/State parks except maybe the tourist area have crowds and that's why? historic areas maybe for preservation I don't know....

Near me we have awesome stretch of road that is filled with curves, pulls off with amazing views, water falls,  etc but there are no drones allowed on like the whole 125+ mile course because they say "it might disrupt nature". On that same Note thousands of bikers and cars do large group cruises  through there all year round, Me also being a car person would like to get some good footage, but you're going to tell me that my drone will cause more disturbance than a pack of Harleys with those loud exhausts constantly flying up and down the roads?

I do agree a lot of novice flyers including myself should have some restrictions but figure out a way to allow us to take maybe a slying test and what not...may be a lot of hoops but its a step forward for people who want to respectfully get the best use they can from their drones.
2017-5-2
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I, for one, won't even watch your videos. I hope those who did watch gave you a thumbs down. Your "don't care attitude" to the rules is adding to the gradual demise of flying freedoms for the rest of us.
2017-5-2
Use props
Axiom Guys
New
Flight distance : 30056 ft

India

Great Shots!  How difficult is the night flight at low light? I have been trying to do a Night Flight,  Your suggestions?
2017-5-2
Use props
bomberuk
First Officer
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

brilliant footage now thats what drone filming is all about, no boring fields with nothing in them ;) fantastic stufe m8
2017-5-2
Use props
bomberuk
First Officer
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

when people see this they are going to be jealous and start ranting on, they drone regulations are so over the top and ridiculous you cant stick by all of them,its ok to fly an old spitfire low over a town but you cant fly a tiny drone,the rules are crazy so just keep doing what your doing they are a pleasure to watch ;)
2017-5-2
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

WOW guys, this is really amazing. What a surprise. Never would I have imagined such to start such a nice conversation with my original post. I must say I've enjoyed a lot reading every post of this debate, and I respect every single opinion that has been expressed here. I am very grateful for all of your input and I will try to reply to you one by one to make my answer as clear and organized as possible. Have a wonderful day.
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

patman89 Posted at 2017-5-2 06:59
Awesome stuff. But if you fly without permission, this throws a bad light on the legal drone pilots :-(

Hope they don't add more regulation to the drone flights because of guys like you.

Thank you very much for the compliment. Regarding the regulations, as someone else said below, I don't think that drone pilots who discreetly and wisely fly over restricted areas are the reason why the laws are getting stricter, but i'll develop on this very soon.
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

I know this will sound like an easy answer, but if we had to live our lives according to "one bad cell in a battery, one bad gps signal" then lets stop leaving. Lets not drive cars, lets not travel in planes, lets not roller blade, lets not use the subway... We might as well even stop having a beer.
To be very honest, I really do not consider myself to be the biggest danger of Paris or London, etc...
I respect your opinion and your choice to not do what I do, but I insist that I believe that I calculated my risk, and i dont think it was that big.
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

81SFORLIFE Posted at 2017-5-2 09:02
Subscribed! Awesome videos

Thanks boss, glad to have you on board, I have some great stuff on my memory card from recent trips. Stay tuned !
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

Airobotix Posted at 2017-5-2 09:16
Great, just what we all need, another cowboy to F*%# it up for the rest of us.

I'm going to us the answer from Fratures to answer to you, because I dont think he could say it any better.

And trust me, I am not F*** anything for anyone. I can guarantee you that you will always be able to fly over your empty fields and mountains, or over a beach when you feel wild. No one will take that away from me.

"I'm with OP on this one, almost 90% of all the sh** we bought these drones to see is restricted. Wanna fly in National Parks.. restricted, State Parks... restricted, Cities...restricted, the Beach...restricted. I didn't buy my drone to fly around in a empty field and its not how I plan to use it.

I'm assuming all of you guys follow the speed limit every day and have never broken a law in your lifes huh?"
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

Thank you for supporting me and sharing your opinion. i was so glad to find out im not alone in this fight against oppressive regulations that dont always make sense.
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

Thanks for you input. I couldn't agree more with you.
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

method007 Posted at 2017-5-2 10:11

You say this like if I try to cheat people into a fake conversation in order to attract them to view my videos, and this is not true. I thought I was pretty clear in my original post. Of course I want other people to see my vids. Because Im proud of them and because its a great satisfaction for me to be able to share them with other drone enthusiast who might enjoy them to. I am not after fame or fishing for compliments. What I look for is socializing with my community. And this has been great so far, so nice to here from everyone of you and exchange. Even with you who's against what I do.

As a matter of fact, i'd like to show you one more of my recent video that I hope can prove i'm not just a stupid pilot.

This one is of Saint tropez in the south of France. Its a village that is so beautiful that it attracted the greatest painters in history. Well today young people dont paint, they drone. Except the police won't let you drone over saint tropez. Its such a shame that we can't all enjoy it together. So I woke up at 6 am to film the street of saint tropez with my drone. I made sure to go when everyone is sleeping and there is not one person in the street to whom i could cause harm. I hope this proves to you that although i try to get the most out of my droning hobby, I am responsible and I respect peoples safety above all. Enjoy the vid !

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTZV ... _explorer&hl=en
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

method007 Posted at 2017-5-2 10:18
Actually regulations exist for safety, it's unrelated to what is happening in the UK or if it's convenient for people to complain.  They are solely based on safety.  Whatever your argument is, if you choose to ignore them, you are choosing to ignore safety.  You can colorize your reasoning however you want but it still stops at the same point - ignoring safety.  

Saying "I think we should be able to ignore safety because it's convenient to complain and people sometimes speed on the highway" just doesn't make any sense.

I am not ignoring safety. I believe that I am respecting everyone's safety and the restrictions are over protective.

Here, take that video I did of Notre Dame in Paris and tell me who did I put in danger? Except the fish in the river ? Which are not really in danger, its just a joke.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQQz ... _explorer&hl=en
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-5-2 10:47
To be completely honest with you - drone pilots did not cause the regulations. Media did. And the nanny state couple with that. I honestly love the arguments - we will not allow drones to fly in the center of Berlin due to terrorist threat. Of course we all know that no terrorist has ever disregarded a regulation and can now sleep peacefully. Seriously?

What we need is a revolution and this is not something we will enjoy either - so just fly, take care and hope for the best. And yes - screw the bull$hit laws.

Cheers to that man. I completely agree with you. Its the media, by giving wrong image to drones. When I first got into droning the first reaction people had to be against drones was a privacy concern. But never I have wanted to go spy on a naked girl in her shower with my drone or see into peoples living room. What I want is to see the beauty of the world.
And nowadays when people hear drone they hear terrorism because thats what the media talk about. But let me tell you something. Even if I stop flying my drone over cities, it doesn't mean that terrorists won't be able! And even if they double up on restrictions, a terrorist could still use a mavic pro to go and make a mess. I have nothing to do with this.

Cheers to you and heres a vid to thank you for your comment: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRd6 ... _explorer&hl=en
2017-5-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I note you have ignored my post ?
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-2 10:53
This is not all about speeding cars, there are many commercial pilots who have invested a lot of money and earn they're living flying drones, they can get permission to fly in many of these locations but have to bear the cost of applying for an SOP to photograph of film many of these areas.

They have trained, they have staff ,insurance, overheads , permission and there license, anyone else who wants to photograph or video in these areas can apply for there license put together an operations manual and then apply for specific operations permission, then in a legal manner go use they're drone.

I could not agree more with you. But thats two different conversations I believe. I do not make any money with my drone vids. They are purely for fun and I will never ever try to make any money with them. Because you are right, if I did, i would be close to being a thief.
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-5-2 13:02

I understand what you say. But firstly, the regulations are stricter in europe than in the US. Secondly, yes I could get out and shoot mountains, empty fields, and a lot of ocean, but I just personally dont find it as beautiful as cities. Some image makers like nature, others are urban. I mean check out these shots of Paris I took on Valentine’s, isn’t it beautiful?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQgG ... _explorer&hl=en
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

Nees Posted at 2017-5-2 15:35

hahah great point. This is what I tried to say in my original post. There are two scenarios 1. No one fly above cities and thats it. 2. Some people do it, they get blamed for regulations and then no one can fly above cities anymore. In both cases, we won’t be able to fly above cities. So lets at least do it while its still possible. I mean im not advertising for breaking the law at all. I respect laws. And once again, I would never do anything that I judge to be dangerous or to put anyone in danger. I only fly over empty streets, when everyone is sleeping or working!
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

JayaTheCat Posted at 2017-5-2 17:39
Good for you man.

I won't fly over people, but I'll sure as hell fly over other places that are restricted. The laws have gotten out of control and the Governments (all of them) have overreached, as usual. We all have to make the decision to follow ridiculous laws or not. If you choose to be that person, don't preach to those who don't. We don't care.

Thanks boss, we are on the same page. I dont fly over people either. I try to be responsible. Look at this video , i fly over rooftops, not people ! https://www.instagram.com/p/BTZV ... _explorer&hl=en
2017-5-3
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

Duncs65 Posted at 2017-5-2 18:00
OMG - Brilliant, and Ballsy - Well Done

Thank you my friend, here is my summary of April flights. I post daily on insta, stay tuned for new locations ! https://www.instagram.com/p/BTjq ... _explorer&hl=en
2017-5-3
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules