Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Autofocus with the Osmo+
5605 25 2017-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dalby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54888 ft
Denmark

So my understanding is that the Osmo+ should be able to acquire autofocus when the gimbal stops moving, correct?

While I can get this to work in preview mode, it does NOT work while recording video.

I have asked several times about the AF features of the Osmo+ on Twitter, Facebook and here. Every time I ask about the AF capabilities of the Osmo+ I'm told it has this "AF when gimbal stops" feature.

But the feature simply doesn't work. The gimbal does NOT autofocus when the gimbal stops while recording video.

So dear DJI... Why has this not been fixed since I made you aware of this back when the Osmo+ was released?!?
2017-5-2
Use props
Dalby
lvl.2
Denmark

DJI....?! This is a pretty f*cking huge feature there's missing.
2017-5-24
Use props
Dalby
lvl.2
Denmark

Bump! Please help DJI!
2017-6-25
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
United States

It is tap to autofocus or manual. If this is not what you want you are better to return it for refund.
2017-6-25
Use props
MilitaryAttract
lvl.1

United States

I wanted this gimbal camera so badly.  Good thing I read all these reviews
2017-6-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

In auto focus mode, you still need to click the screen to focus precisely, so we suggest to use auto focus when take pictures, infinite focus when take video. If there is any further problems, please keep us updated.
2017-6-26
Use props
Dalby
lvl.2
Denmark

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-6-26 02:48
In auto focus mode, you still need to click the screen to focus precisely, so we suggest to use auto focus when take pictures, infinite focus when take video. If there is any further problems, please keep us updated.

Hey Mindy,

Thanks for your reply. It doesnt really answer my questions from the original post though. I guess you missed it, so is there any chance you can look at the original post and comment on that?
2017-7-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Dalby Posted at 2017-7-4 10:44
Hey Mindy,

Thanks for your reply. It doesnt really answer my questions from the original post though. I guess you missed it, so is there any chance you can look at the original post and comment on that?

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Like they said, the camera will autofocus when gimbal stops during recording video. You can see a green frame in the screen, tap anywhere of the screen, the green frame will begin autofocusing, this is how it works.

2017-7-5
Use props
Tango_B
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2891473 ft
Australia

The Osmo+ will not acquire auto focus whilst recording. It's either infinite focus, or tap-to-focus on subject PRIOR to hitting record. I'm 99% certain that the whole "no continuous auto-focus whilst recording" was added in with a firmware update.
2017-7-5
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Tango_B Posted at 2017-7-5 06:04
The Osmo+ will not acquire auto focus whilst recording. It's either infinite focus, or tap-to-focus on subject PRIOR to hitting record. I'm 99% certain that the whole "no continuous auto-focus whilst recording" was added in with a firmware update.

Partly true. You CAN re acquire focus while shooting by tapping the screen.
2017-7-5
Use props
fansa5e1756d
New
Flight distance : 88189 ft
Portugal

Hi, Can anyone explain to me what is the diference between AF and ∞ ? (OSMO plus)
2017-7-5
Use props
Dalby
lvl.2
Denmark

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-5 03:50
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Like they said, the camera will autofocus when gimbal stops during recording video. You can see a green frame in the screen, tap anywhere of the screen, the green frame will begin autofocusing, this is how it works.

I'm very sorry but this is simply NOT what happens if you actually try and do it on the Osmo+.

When will the Osmo+ get automatic- AF while recording video?
2017-7-19
Use props
Dalby
lvl.2
Denmark

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-5 03:50

Mindy? Still waiting for a explanation from DJI that is actually true. It's almost been 12 months since I bought this camera. Explaining how the AF works should be -easy- for a product you yourselves produce both the hard- and software for... My patience is running out!
2017-8-1
Use props
Tango_B
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2891473 ft
Australia

Dalby Posted at 2017-7-19 14:06
I'm very sorry but this is simply NOT what happens if you actually try and do it on the Osmo+.

When will the Osmo+ get automatic- AF while recording video?

I don't understand the issue - continuous auto focus on the Osmo+ means that it is constantly focusing and re-focusing, resulting in a regular blur-focus-blur effect every time a new subject is detected, and this would be seen in your recording.  In other words, it would be absolutely detrimental to your video. No video should ever be filmed in continuous auto focus. For filming, the fact that infinite focus is set for subjects from a minimum distance of 50cm means that all your filming will be in focus (except if you are filming subjects closer than 50cm).
2017-8-1
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

........... For filming, the fact that infinite focus is set for subjects from a minimum distance of 50cm means that all your filming will be in focus (except if you are filming subjects closer than 50cm).................

Correct until you zoom in to a longer focal length. I totally agree with your other comments about 'continuous focus', the Osmo+ has a perfectly good tap to focus feature.
2017-8-1
Use props
TraderGary
lvl.1
United States

"Infinit Focus" has been mentioned several times.
How exactly do you set "Infinite Focus" on the Osmo+ ?
2017-8-1
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Infinity focus was a feature that they added with a recent firmware update. The idea is to lock the focus at a hyperfocal distance so everything from about  half a metre to infinity would be acceptably sharp when the lens was at max wide angle. Effectively like the original Osmo. DJI didn't get it quite right tho' and they say they will tweak it in a future update.
You access it by touching the infinity symbol that appears next to the green focus symbol. When selected you can't change focus by tapping the screen, it's locked.
2017-8-1
Use props
TraderGary
lvl.1
United States

Cool!
Thank you, Lensman Dave!
I just applied the latest update and I see the infinity symbol.
What do you mean when you say that DJI didn't get it quite right?
2017-8-1
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

TraderGary Posted at 2017-8-1 18:37
Cool!
Thank you, Lensman Dave!
I just applied the latest update and I see the infinity symbol.

A number of users have reported that it doesn't seem to focus on the ideal distance. I never use it myself, I find the touch to focus suits my shooting style.
2017-8-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Dalby Posted at 2017-8-1 05:49
Mindy? Still waiting for a explanation from DJI that is actually true. It's almost been 12 months since I bought this camera. Explaining how the AF works should be -easy- for a product you yourselves produce both the hard- and software for... My patience is running out!

I think Tango has explained very clearly. In auto focus mode, you will still need to tap the display in APP to select the area of focus. During focus, the green frame will move and then keep still when the focus finishes, if you open voice in your mobile phone, you will hear ''D''.
2017-8-1
Use props
Dalby
lvl.2
Denmark

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-1 23:53
I think Tango has explained very clearly. In auto focus mode, you will still need to tap the display in APP to select the area of focus. During focus, the green frame will move and then keep still when the focus finishes, if you open voice in your mobile phone, you will hear ''D''.

This still doesn't explain the non-working function of "Focus when gimbal stops" that has been in the software since the beginning.
---
"Focus when gimbal stops" works in preview mode.

"Focus when gimbal stops" DOES NOT work while actually recording video.

Why have the "Focus when gimbal stops" function in the software at all if it has no effect in recording situations? To me it doesn't make sense.

Why you might ask?

Having the function work in preview shows to me that the hardware is actually able to do automated/continuous autofocus.
But for some reason the bug in the firm/software than keeps it working while recording has yet to be fixed, here 12 months later and despite plenty of attention directed to this from quite a bunch of other users besides myself.

At least 10 different support staff from DJI have given various explanations via all your social media channels and email. This shows me that either DJI doesn't care about this product either, or nobody in customer support actually has real knowledge on how this product works.

If I am in any war wrong about the above assumptions and conclusions I'd love to know it. I am only basing my knowledge on what I've read in your documentation and from what I've been told by support staff... Combined with my 10 month use of the camera.

Regards
A somewhat dissapointed but hopeful customer.
2017-8-2
Use props
Solaire
New

Ireland

Dalby Posted at 2017-8-2 04:56
This still doesn't explain the non-working function of "Focus when gimbal stops" that has been in the software since the beginning.
---
"Focus when gimbal stops" works in preview mode.

Having the continuous focus feature function like this during filming would result in constant hunting during recording.

The 'continuous focus' performs the focus task from fresh using the green box, it is no different to tapping the screen again to find focus, apart from the unfortunate fact that you need to do this yourself. If you tap the screen just before you finish your move, you can get smoother results than the continuous focus does.

If this 'bug' (arguably) does get addressed in a future update, I hope they make it optional. I would be much more aggrieved with hunting in all of my footage than having to manually activate the auto-focus.
2017-8-3
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Solaire Posted at 2017-8-3 12:29
Having the continuous focus feature function like this during filming would result in constant hunting during recording.

The 'continuous focus' performs the focus task from fresh using the green box, it is no different to tapping the screen again to find focus, apart from the unfortunate fact that you need to do this yourself. If you tap the screen just before you finish your move, you can get smoother results than the continuous focus does.

Agree with this completely, I'm happy with how my Osmo+ performs.
2017-8-3
Use props
Samahita
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17041 ft
Sri Lanka

If used in seflie mode can Osmo+ then keep focus on the face when walking?
2017-8-3
Use props
Solaire
New

Ireland

Samahita Posted at 2017-8-3 14:14
If used in seflie mode can Osmo+ then keep focus on the face when walking?

Once the distance between your face and the camera doesn't change much after initial focus. It's a matter of being diligent when the distance changes. Min focal distance isn't great from my experience so be wary of framing.
2017-8-3
Use props
Samahita
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17041 ft
Sri Lanka

A lot have experienced out-of-sync audio.
Is this still a problem?
2017-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules