Raw (DNG) files ex P4P to jpg?
2348 10 2017-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matt218
lvl.2
Australia

Hi, when I shoot pics on the P4P in RAW format, which is actually a DNG file how do I convert these to jpg?

The reason I shoot Raw is so I can make corrections to the file before it is exported for final editing in photoshop. But using photoshop elements, I can make the corrections, but when I open the file in photoshop elements, it's still a DNG file and the quality is extremely poor.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make the corrections when it's a DNG file and then convert it to a jpg, whole still holding the quality?

Otherwise it seems that shooting DNG is a waste of time.

Thanks
2017-5-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

For most users shooting raw is a waste of time.
But if you want to, it should be a simple matter of how you save the file.
Use  Save As and save it as a jpg file jpg
2017-5-2
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Shooting raw is the way to go, it's just a little more complicated when it comes to processing for the average joe.
2017-5-3
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

A RAW file is not a format. It is just the unprocessed data from the sensor. There are many different formats (Nikon have NEF and Canon use CR2 etc.) but one which Adobe have is DNG which is an abbreviation of Digital Negative.

A RAW file will have the sensor data and will usually include an embedded Jpeg which can be used for previewing. You will often see this on the screen when you open a file in a RAW viewer and then it will change to the thumbnail that is generated from the data itself. RAW files cannot be edited. The data in the file remains unchanged. What you can do it alter how that data is seen. It is the ingredients from which you can produce a photograph.

When you take a Jpeg the same data is used except it is not recorded. The camera will process the data to produce the Jpeg and records that and then the sensor data is discarded. When set in RAW + Jpeg it records both.

Using Photoshop Elements you would import the image from a RAW converter, usually Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) and that will then become the background layer. You can then edit that file and save it in the format you choose. If it stays in  Photoshop then it can be a PSD file which will preserve the layers and masks etc. It can also be flattened and made into a Jpeg image.

I have my RAW files stored on a Drive and back that up. Then on another drive I have my PSD files and in another folder the Jpeg output.
2017-5-3
Use props
jsantacroce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10036 ft
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-5-3 15:18
A RAW file is not a format. It is just the unprocessed data from the sensor. There are many different formats (Nikon have NEF and Canon use CR2 etc.) but one which Adobe have is DNG which is an abbreviation of Digital Negative.

A RAW file will have the sensor data and will usually include an embedded Jpeg which can be used for previewing. You will often see this on the screen when you open a file in a RAW viewer and then it will change to the thumbnail that is generated from the data itself. RAW files cannot be edited. The data in the file remains unchanged. What you can do it alter how that data is seen. It is the ingredients from which you can produce a photograph.

I only use the RAW DNG Files for final photos although I take both RAW\JPG when shooting so I can scan through the JPG more quickly. When I get home I dump the Video in one folder, DNG in another, JPG in another. The JPG I like and want to take to the next level I open up the DNG version (I use PhotoShop and they open by Default in Camera Raw). I then edit the file however I want and export out a final PSD and JPG. JPG For upload or other use and PSD in case I want to go back to the edit.

There is no way from the JPG to get the same quality of photo that the DNG provides. It takes a lot more space. But to me the trade off is worth it. But your mileage may vary.
2017-5-4
Use props
UltraDan
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-2 22:51
For most users shooting raw is a waste of time.
But if you want to, it should be a simple matter of how you save the file.
Use  Save As and save it as a jpg file jpg

That is just out and out wrong what you have written, I hope nobody pays attention to it.
2017-5-4
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

UltraDan Posted at 2017-5-4 12:41
That is just out and out wrong what you have written, I hope nobody pays attention to it.

I think that the point that was trying to be made is that the RAW file requires processing. Many people are unable to do that and many that do end up with a result which is worse than the default jpeg would have been. I know that my PSD files end up having at least twenty adjustment layers and often more.
2017-5-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

UltraDan Posted at 2017-5-4 12:41

It's not wrong and I'll say it again.
For MOST users, shooting raw is a waste of time and effort.
MOST users would be just as happy with jpg output and it would be perfect for their requirements.
But they hear over and over on forums that they have to shoot raw and jpg is junk.
That's wrong - jpg is just fine and would suit MOST users perfectly with a lot less hassle.

2017-5-4
Use props
UltraDan
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-4 14:47
It's not wrong and I'll say it again.
For MOST users, shooting raw is a waste of time and effort.
MOST users would be just as happy with jpg output and it would be perfect for their requirements.

Next to the output from a post work RAW jpegs are junk.
2017-5-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

UltraDan Posted at 2017-5-5 08:38
Next to the output from a post work RAW jpegs are junk.

So raw jpgs are junk?
And raw raw is what?

For MOST users who are not wanting to spend their time in Photoshop post processing each image, raw jpg is probably going to be fine.
Your comment is exactly the sort of thing that causes newbies and casual flyers to feel that they have to shoot raw and then work out how to deal with it.
When in fact, the quality of jpg output is all they would ever need.
The jpg output from a lot of modern cameras including Phantoms is very good.

And if you want to tweak a jpg image, there's nothing stopping you from doing that.
But what would I know?
I'm just a demanding professional who shoots jpg most of the time.
2017-5-5
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

I agree .... Jpeg out of the camera is fine for many, probably most.

You do have a lot more scope for editing from a RAW and you do need to edit them. The thing is in many instances people will screw up their post production and the output is worse than the default Jpeg would have been.

My whole workflow is geared around starting from RAW and processing with Layers, Channels and Masks. It has taken me years to learn.
2017-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules