Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P2 will force land and red flash after start
5290 12 2017-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aarbc56
New

Germany

Hey

I bought a used Phantom 2 (working completely fine, it was demonstrated to me and I flew it personally), and now I'm having a weird issue:

When starting the P2, I do the calibration dance, set the P2 on a flat surface, wait for the solid green lights for GPS lock and start.
After going up roughly 2m, the P2 will start to quickly flash the red lights, indicating some kind of error and force land itself very roughly. After I then turn off the motors, the green lights will go back on. If I connect it to a Mac using the DJI Apps, no errors show up.

As I'm new to the Phantom ecosystem, I might overlook something trivial, though phone support from the seller didn't bring up any issues. Recalibrating the controller and the Phantom itself does not change anything. Going through the usual Google Search and Forum searches only brought up cases, where a simple compass calibration fixed the issues, but this is not the case with mine. Maybe some of you experts here had the same problem/already know the solution..

If it matters, the Phantom is equipped with H3-3D Gimbal and a Gropro Hero 3 Black.

Hope someone can help me fix this and that this is not an obvious problem solved already a hundred times..

Greetings
2017-5-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Hi,

Fast red flashes of the lamps in the rear indicate critical battery and auto land.  

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... _Manual_v1.4_en.pdf

Sounds like a bad battery.  
2017-5-3
Use props
aarbc56
New

Germany

Hm.. the DJI App says the battery is just fine.. It has only 12 full charges 98% of its capacity.
2017-5-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Those numbers are referring to the life of the battery not the health of the battery.  How was the cell balance?

I recommend you buy a new legit DJI battery, charge it up, and try to fly.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  
2017-5-7
Use props
aarbc56
New

Germany

I ordered a brand new battery - I'll report back if this fixes the problem!
2017-5-8
Use props
aarbc56
New

Germany

So, after the battery arrived and I tested it: It works!
Still weird, that the battery died from one moment to another though..
Thank you anyway!
2017-5-27
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

aarbc56 Posted at 2017-5-27 05:10
So, after the battery arrived and I tested it: It works!
Still weird, that the battery died from one moment to another though..
Thank you anyway!

Good to hear you were able to find the root of the issue. Do you happen to know how old that initial battery was?
2017-5-27
Use props
fans1ffc0edf
New

Spain

Hi.
The same thing happens to me with two original DJI batteries. They do not have more than 11 charges one of them and the other 12 charges.
Either way, it's the same for me.
Charged at 100% one of them at the first minute of flight flashes red quickly and descends at full speed to the ground. And the other does the same but two minutes of flight. The DJI application of the PC does not give me errors in the batteries.
What can be?
2017-5-28
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

aarbc56 Posted at 2017-5-8 10:55
I ordered a brand new battery - I'll report back if this fixes the problem!

One of my original P2 batteries does the same thing & failed the same way.  It reports fine & will power the drone for a couple hours sitting on the ground.  As soon as you takeoff & the motors load the battery it quickly displays the battery warning & wants to land.  That battery caused my P2 to come down 3 or 4 times before I realized it was the same battery each time.
I marked the battery so I wouldn't accidently fly with it again but saved it for ground usage like software updates, etc.. because it works fine under low load.  Here is the last time the dreaded "Battery #3" bit me & almost cost me my Vision+!  She continued to record video for about an hour after the emergency landing & the Flytrex continued to report her location.

2017-5-28
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans1ffc0edf Posted at 2017-5-28 07:54
Hi.
The same thing happens to me with two original DJI batteries. They do not have more than 11 charges one of them and the other 12 charges.
Either way, it's the same for me.

Assuming these were P2 batteries though it doesn't matter as this applies to all of the DJI packs.  It is very important to store them properly.  If you leave them sitting around completely full or extremely low they will fail.  All current DJI batteries by default automatically discharge to a recommended 65% storage level after 10 days of non-use (adjustable 1-10 days, I set mine for 3).  It is also advisable to charge the batteries at least once a month.  When the P2 was originally released the batteries did NOT include the auto-discharge feature so lots of P2 batteries likely suffered an early demise due to being stored completely full or near empty.  The P2 batteries did receive the auto-discharge function in later firmware revisions.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans1ffc0edf
New

Spain

hi.

My batteries are relatively new, as I say, only one has 11 charges and the other 12 charges.
How can they deteriorate if I take care not to leave them 100% charged?
2017-5-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Ahh, Flytrex.  I'm an avid fan, even if they don't answer their emails...
2017-5-28
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans1ffc0edf Posted at 2017-5-28 09:33
hi.

My batteries are relatively new, as I say, only one has 11 charges and the other 12 charges.

How old are the packs & where were they stored?  Was it excessively cold or hot like like storing them in your car?
2017-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules