12Next >
2542 42 2017-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PKPhantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275276 ft
United States

As the title states, this was the day I lost my drone .

This is my 4th Cinematic installment from Moab, Utah.

Just watch the entire short clip...............wait for it!

To experience the FULL effect, watch this on a 4K Monitor. Also, depending on your sound output equipment, adjust your speakers/ headphones gain accordingly.

Drone: Phantom 3P
Filters: PolarPro ND Filters (8)
Editing Software: Adobe Premiere Pro CC

2017-5-4
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

Well, they say it is not a matter of 'IF' rather......'WHEN'.

I was attempting to execute a straightforward and an 'effortless' mission but I misjudged the Aircraft behavioral instincts given the unconceivable conditions at the time. DJI is off the hook on this one. This was 100% Pilot error. I take FULL responsibility.

Could someone pin point what the exact pilot error was?

Please resist the urge to laugh
2017-5-4
Use props
Jonimo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4515404 ft
United States

Man, sorry you crashed your drone. Would the exact pilot error be disturbing sacred Navajo grounds? Looked like that rock reached out and grabbed your bird by the wing.
2017-5-4
Use props
cptmajestic1
lvl.1

United States

Super excited, I'll be going to Zion in a couple of days, this video just made be pump my fist, with the exception of your crash of coarse. RIP
2017-5-4
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

Jonimo Posted at 2017-5-4 03:07
Man, sorry you crashed your drone. Would the exact pilot error be disturbing sacred Navajo grounds? Looked like that rock reached out and grabbed your bird by the wing.

Ha ha. No kidding, right?
2017-5-4
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

cptmajestic1 Posted at 2017-5-4 05:03
Super excited, I'll be going to Zion in a couple of days, this video just made be pump my fist, with the exception of your crash of coarse. RIP

Excited for you too. Just a FYI, no UAV allowed in the National Parks, including ZION. Too bad cuz that's some great topography there.
2017-5-4
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Think this would be in the category of "Controlled Flight into Terrain"
2017-5-4
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-5-4 16:20
Think this would be in the category of "Controlled Flight into Terrain"

They sure need to create that category.
2017-5-4
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

I did wince when i saw that tree come up and then thought I hope he's not going to fly through that opening ...... then ..... Ouch!
2017-5-4
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-5-4 18:48
I did wince when i saw that tree come up and then thought I hope he's not going to fly through that opening ...... then ..... Ouch!

Ha ha. Curiosity killed the cat. Why shoot for the tree while I could aim for the hole?  Lol
2017-5-4
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

"Why shoot for the tree while I could aim for the hole?"

Sounds like many weekends away when I was younger!  {:4_181:}
2017-5-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sorry to hear. At least you were able to salvage the SD card. Was the unit recoverable. more or less?
2017-5-4
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

As seen, the ending on this clip was 'To be Concluded....'

Meaning, there is a Part 2 to this video showing the moment the drone initiated its turbulent descend all the way to the end of the actual recording.

This was just the beginning of the saga.

It's far from over.

Stay tuned
-PK
2017-5-4
Use props
pritchiedotcom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125738 ft
United Kingdom

Ouch Ouch Ouch Ouch..
It was.. I can see what is going to happen.. no don't do it!! NO DON'T do it..
no he missed the tree.. he's almost out.. aah this was one of those youtube conns where you are promise a misha.... oops ouch noooooo......  

Thanks for sharing..
2017-5-5
Use props
cptmajestic1
lvl.1

United States

PKPhantom Posted at 2017-5-4 14:00
Excited for you too. Just a FYI, no UAV allowed in the National Parks, including ZION. Too bad cuz that's some great topography there.

Yeah too bad, but I'm taking my still camera for inside the park.
2017-5-5
Use props
fans358f06e8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191896 ft
United States

Bummer, I'm headed to Moab tonight for some filming.  That arch on top of Poison Spider is a relatively small one.  I can see the natural tendency to get halfway through the arch and then hurry and fly faster to complete the pass.  I've gone through a few arches and I don't think I'll be risking it anymore.  I don't think the audience appreciates the risk as much as the pilot.

Here's an arch I flew through near Goblin Valley, and when I got home and started editing the video, I realized the reward wasn't worth the risk.  

2017-5-5
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

You are 100% correct! You nailed the points PERFECTLY well;
1) Tendency to get halfway through the arch and then hurry and fly faster to complete the pass
2) I don't think the audience appreciates the risk as much as the pilot......THIS????
3) I realized the reward wasn't worth the risk.

MOAB, Utah is a gem. Lots of great places to film. Please share with us some of the great footage.

Thanks
-PK
2017-5-5
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Now PK that's a real "oh bother" moment. On the plus side good video and a new drone perhaps?
2017-5-5
Use props
Surrealplaces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 908819 ft
Canada

Sorry about the loss of the drone. The video was fantastic though.
2017-5-5
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2887251 ft
United States

YIkes! Sorry about the loss of the drone. Great footage for certain though.

One question; don't you lose your RC signal when you get through a structure like that? Massive amount of rock between you and the arch? Just curious. I'm new to Phantom platform, and I would think signal loss would incur a RTH if set up as such.
2017-5-6
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

pritchiedotcom Posted at 2017-5-5 01:44
Ouch Ouch Ouch Ouch..
It was.. I can see what is going to happen.. no don't do it!! NO DON'T do it..
no he missed the tree.. he's almost out.. aah this was one of those youtube conns where you are promise a misha.... oops ouch noooooo......  

ha ha. Great commentary
2017-5-6
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

sky wombat Posted at 2017-5-5 21:36
Now PK that's a real "oh bother" moment. On the plus side good video and a new drone perhaps?

New drone indeed
2017-5-6
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

Surrealplaces Posted at 2017-5-5 23:26
Sorry about the loss of the drone. The video was fantastic though.

The drone went down with honor. With one last EPIC flight
2017-5-6
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

BearDrone Posted at 2017-5-6 04:17
YIkes! Sorry about the loss of the drone. Great footage for certain though.

One question; don't you lose your RC signal when you get through a structure like that? Massive amount of rock between you and the arch? Just curious. I'm new to Phantom platform, and I would think signal loss would incur a RTH if set up as such.

Yes. Loss of signal meant, drone started drifting. This prompted me to rush with an attempt to clear the arch as fast as possible. Then sh!t happened {:4_142:}
2017-5-6
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

PKPhantom Posted at 2017-5-6 10:10
Yes. Loss of signal meant, drone started drifting. This prompted me to rush with an attempt to clear the arch as fast as possible. Then sh!t happened

Got it. I bet you ran pretty fast. Amazing how quickly the human body can move to avoid a $1K expenditure.

Good luck with your new unit.
2017-5-6
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

PKPhantom Posted at 2017-5-6 10:10
Yes. Loss of signal meant, drone started drifting. This prompted me to rush with an attempt to clear the arch as fast as possible. Then sh!t happened

Got it. I bet you ran pretty fast. Amazing how quickly the human body can move to avoid a $1K expenditure.

Good luck with your new unit.
2017-5-6
Use props
deplorable
lvl.2
Flight distance : 728491 ft
United States

Nice crash and subsequent fall from a cliff!  10/10!!!  

If you're going to crash your drone, might as well crash it as spectacularly as possible!
2017-5-6
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

PKPhantom Posted at 2017-5-4 01:01

I was attempting to execute a straightforward and an 'effortless' mission but I misjudged the Aircraft behavioral instincts given the unconceivable conditions at the time. DJI is off the hook on this one. This was 100% Pilot error. I take FULL responsibility.

Aloha PK,

Sorry about your loss.  That P3P would have been a good back-up for your P4 and newer birds.  As for pilot error, did you ever lose line-of-sight with the Phantom?  If so, around rocks like that without line-of-sight would be one error.  The rocks block and reflect signals.  We have one cliff amphitheater here on Oahu that was used for 40-50 years to secretly broadcast signals across the Western and Southern Pacific in the days before satellites.  

Another possible pilot error could be choice of flight mode.  CourseLock could guide you through the center of the hole, while you control the angle of decent and camera angle with the left stick (assuming Mode 2).  Then on the other side you blaze as far as you can for 3 seconds so you can get a Return-To-Home when the rock blocks your signal.  Flip the mode selector switch to get out of CourseLock and the other Function options and back to Position mode.  Then disable RTH.  This option depends on the Line-of-Sight question.

In the type of situation you were in, researching the shot could be considered pilot error if you did not research the shot.  Even if you had made it through the hole, your signal would have been blocked for more than 3 seconds when the Phantom got out the other side.  RTH could have saved you though as noted.  One strategy I use is to thread the needle backwards.  What control do you have on the other side?  Approach from the other direction as a plan or as a test.  (I am trying this today in one of my tree tunnels.)

Other than that I was a wonderful video!  Real "hold your okole!" kind of video.  Neat the way you could see the Colorado through the hole in one shot.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-6
Use props
Flying-Monkey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 292297 ft
United Kingdom

That certainly was a ballsy attempt at a manoeuver very few of us would even consider attempting.
And you nearly pulled it off.

2017-5-6
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109281 ft
Australia

Oops. But a great clip with fantastic sound. I'm looking forward to Part II, the Rise of the Phoenix. Thanks for sharing.
2017-5-6
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

deplorable Posted at 2017-5-6 11:46
Nice crash and subsequent fall from a cliff!  10/10!!!  

If you're going to crash your drone, might as well crash it as spectacularly as possible!

Ha ha. You are a genius
2017-5-6
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-6 13:24
Aloha PK,

Sorry about your loss.  That P3P would have been a good back-up for your P4 and newer birds.  As for pilot error, did you ever lose line-of-sight with the Phantom?  If so, around rocks like that without line-of-sight would be one error.  The rocks block and reflect signals.  We have one cliff amphitheater here on Oahu that was used for 40-50 years to secretly broadcast signals across the Western and Southern Pacific in the days before satellites.  

Great assessment on the situation. Actually, I had it planned exactly the same way as reflected in your detailed explanation. Pass through the arch, then give it full throttle to clear any nearby adjacent rocks. RTH kicks in. Then regain signal contact after the bird ascends past the rocks. You see, I had a great plan {:4_157:}
2017-5-6
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

Flying-Monkey Posted at 2017-5-6 21:59
That certainly was a ballsy attempt at a manoeuver very few of us would even consider attempting.
And you nearly pulled it off.

Ha ha. That's the point. I nearly pulled it off. But I didnt
2017-5-6
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

Bootspike Posted at 2017-5-6 22:18
Oops. But a great clip with fantastic sound. I'm looking forward to Part II, the Rise of the Phoenix. Thanks for sharing.

The soundtrack does really make the clip more enjoyable. Thanks for noticing that.

That's a great idea....Flight of the Phoenix.

Part II is coming. Stay tuned.
2017-5-6
Use props
Surrealplaces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 908819 ft
Canada

PKPhantom Posted at 2017-5-6 10:08
The drone went down with honor. With one last EPIC flight

Hopefully you still have the P4, and the Standard. I'd like to see more vids from Utah.
2017-5-7
Use props
pritchiedotcom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125738 ft
United Kingdom

fans358f06e8 Posted at 2017-5-5 08:48
Bummer, I'm headed to Moab tonight for some filming.  That arch on top of Poison Spider is a relatively small one.  I can see the natural tendency to get halfway through the arch and then hurry and fly faster to complete the pass.  I've gone through a few arches and I don't think I'll be risking it anymore.  I don't think the audience appreciates the risk as much as the pilot.

Here's an arch I flew through near Goblin Valley, and when I got home and started editing the video, I realized the reward wasn't worth the risk.  

I don't know.. I thought it was pretty cool.. Thanks for sharing.  maybe create you're thread next and then link to back to an existing thread using a comment.  (to avoid confusing the original thread so to say)
2017-5-9
Use props
Skippy_74
lvl.1
United States

That was some great footage up until ... and I can't wait to see what is coming in Part II.
2017-5-10
Use props
Adam Flurk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

PKPhantom Posted at 2017-5-4 01:01

You almost had it! Gotta be quicker than that! Just kidding! So close though, wow. Thanks for sharing!
2017-5-10
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

Surrealplaces Posted at 2017-5-7 11:24
Hopefully you still have the P4, and the Standard. I'd like to see more vids from Utah.

Yes! I still have both. Thanks for your comment.
2017-5-11
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
United States

Skippy_74 Posted at 2017-5-10 10:01
That was some great footage up until ... and I can't wait to see what is coming in Part II.

Ha ha. Yes! Part II is coming soon. Stay tuned.
2017-5-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules