What are the legalities of using a Quadcopter for supplimental income?
2318 11 2014-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

Was just curious if a person could use a quadcopter for supplemental income and what are the legalities?
A lot of commercial businesses such as realtors, farmers, and even law enforcement have a need for aerial videos and images along with video editing.
I would love to do this as a supplemental income if it was permissible to do this.
Any insight and links that anyone could provide on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much for your input.
Larry
2014-10-10
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

It all depends on where in the world you are and what the government body that regulates the airspace says.
Here in the UK, No "aerial work" is allowed without permission from the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority).
2014-10-10
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

Yes, it depends on your location&local government body.
2014-10-10
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

Be careful~
2014-10-10
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

It also depends on your flying skills.Take care~
2014-10-10
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lots of debate on this topic. And the FAA will tell you one thing and lawyers may tell you another. And then hobbyists and professionals may tell you something completely different still. If you are in USA then you may have a look at this: http://dronelawjournal.com

Also, join any groups and forums that cover Drone Laws and pay attention. This is a hot topic right now. I don't think anyone really knows what to expect just yet. The FAA says no commercial use without a permit, which they have only given out 6 of. Others say the FAA guidelines are just guidelines, not laws so it is like the Wilde West in the USA with regards to drone laws. Who knows.

At the end of the day I say if you are using the drone commercially, and somehow, for some reason, caught by the FAA, you are in a heap of trouble and will need a lawyer and you will be spending your hard earned money on legal defense. Whether you win or lose is besides the point.

Again, this only applies if you are in the US.
2014-10-12
Use props
SFOS900
lvl.1

United States

Yes the real problem is two fold here in the USA.

Hobbyist and commercial users.

The first is okay to use them under the AMA rules. with some restrictions like how height and far they can fly. as well as FPV.
All this is known for years.

The commercial user, is like the hobbyist but wants to make money ....... nope that is not allowed!!! :@

So as soon as you make money like even receive a cent here in the USA you would be in trouble or if some one would reimburse you for your service with a meal, drink.... it is not allowed.

The problem is that those are not laws at this time they are regulations which is different, so the FAA will NEVER stop you making money, but what they will do is sighting you for flying under xxxxx rule which is a safety problem.... and as they rule and own the airspace in the USA no judge will go against them.

All this will change with all those 333 COA's out there in the near future.

My advise to everyone on here is to become an AMA member go to the local AMA airfield and learn to fly the Visions, S900 and S1000
with some help ask lost of questions. Buy the time the doors for commercial use open up here in USA you are good to go.

AH and do not for get to start a flight log as soon as you fly you might need this later to show your insurance to get better rates.

At this point fly under the AMA rules know them and practice flying.....
2014-10-12
Use props
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

SFOS900 Posted at 2014-10-13 05:05

Thanks for the great post, that is excellent advice.
2014-10-13
Use props
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-10-13 04:29
Lots of debate on this topic. And the FAA will tell you one thing and lawyers may tell you another.  ...

Thanks for the response and the advice. Will definitely try to find a group to join that covers drone laws.
2014-10-13
Use props
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

Definitely will make sure to do my homework to make sure I confide to all drone regulations.
2014-10-13
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

celebrate1203@m Posted at 2014-10-14 02:39
Thanks for the response and the advice. Will definitely try to find a group to join that covers dr ...

Here is a good one on FaceBook:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/uavLegalNews/
2014-10-13
Use props
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

SFOS900 Posted at 2014-10-13 05:05

Thank you so much for the post. You have been a huge help in clarifying this for me. I do have another question for you, Who would I contact if I wanted to voice my opinion on legalizing commercial flights and recommending permits to do so and explain how it would actually help our economy?
Thanks again for the great post.
Larry
2014-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules