DJI assistant (Mac) needs serious improvements
1389 8 2017-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IFlyHigh
New
Flight distance : 414022 ft
France

I have been trying to use the DJI assistant on Mac.

So far here are some of the bugs or user experience problems I have encountered:

• The installer launches installation of the HorNDIS driver. HorNDIS stands for "horrendous" which is not very comforting. I have actually used HorNDIS before and I know what it is (ethernet emulation over USB). But less tech oriented users might be confused by this. Furthermore, the installer froze during the HorNDIS installation and gave no confirmation upon completion, which is very unusual.
  • The app is simply called "assistant.app" so it is not very intuitive to find in the Applications folder. Nothing shows up if you search for "DJI" with Spotlight.
  • Sometimes the app won't launch at all and won't throw any error message.
  • Once lauched, the app does not put an icon in the dock, or use the taskbar, or show up in the app selector (Cmd + Tab) . You can only close it with the window buttons. If you put other apps in front of the DJI window, you have to hide them all to find it again. This does not comply with MacOS design guidelines and is confusing.
  • The app won't work if you don't log in. I don't see why since most of the features don't require account access.
  • The app occasionnaly will forget login credentials.
  • The log in window occasionnaly will claim the user/password combination is incorrect, when it IS correct.
  • Clicking the "forgot password" link will take you to a password reset page. You cannot leave the page, there is no back button, you have to quit the app to log in again.
  • The app occasionnaly uses 100% of a CPU core even when not in use.
  • Sometimes the app won't detect the Mavic or RC. Unplugging+plugging the USB port works.
  • The main window occasionnaly disappears. It happened to me during the Mavic firmware upgrade over USB. I had no way to know if it was done upgrading. I had to check wether the app was still running by using the ps command in terminal. It did complete the upgrade successfully.
  • The front sensor calibration tool got stuck at step 3 of the tutorial the first 3 times I tried. It magically worked the 4th time.

This is a lot of bugs for a year-old app! A lot of these bugs show poor development practices. Clearly the apps need a lot of polishing work.
2017-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

have you tried to work the simulator, i agree with everything you say. its basic and crap..
2017-5-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-5 06:34
have you tried to work the simulator, i agree with everything you say. its basic and crap..

Hall , I don't see any improvements to the operation of the GO4 app other then adding more
        applications to it -- the latest is airplane mode -- From what I'm noticing with the software and
        FW is that the error threshold triggering values are being adjusted --- if the Mavic was to experience
        more then 2 errors at once it becomes a runaway out of control system --- It's as if 10lbs of Chit is
        being put into a 2lb bag and its major weakness is its remote controller   
2017-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-5 06:49
Hall , I don't see any improvements to the operation of the GO4 app other then adding more
        applications to it -- the latest is airplane mode -- From what I'm noticing with the software and
        FW is that the error threshold triggering values are being adjusted --- if the Mavic was to experience

There is something peculiar with Mavic RC, I have noticed around the back of my house there are some power lines when I fly Mavic say 20 feet over I get strong magnetic interference, when I fly P4 same way no interference same when I fly p4p no interference .
I do wonder about the app never seem to get bug fixes, yet I'm sure there must be some, and your right, if you get two errors your as well to go to the pub. Lol
2017-5-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've forwarded your thread on, in time it will get better.
2017-5-5
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

On which version of OS X are you on? what are the specs? do you have any gate keepers running or some other tools which could screw things up?
I am on 10.11.6 and i have no problems Assistant on my Mac?

So far here are some of the bugs or user experience problems I have encountered:

• The installer launches installation of the HorNDIS driver.  HorNDIS stands for "horrendous" which is not very comforting. I have  actually used HorNDIS before and I know what it is (ethernet emulation  over USB). But less tech oriented users might be confused by this.  Furthermore, the installer froze during the HorNDIS installation and  gave no confirmation upon completion, which is very unusual.  Yes this driver is being installed,...not very user friendly, but it works flawless.
  • The  app is simply called "assistant.app" so it is not very intuitive to  find in the Applications folder. Nothing shows up if you search for  "DJI" with Spotlight. Far point, another name for the app would be smarter
  • Sometimes the app won't launch at all and won't throw any error message.  Never had this problem.
  • Once  lauched, the app does not put an icon in the dock, or use the taskbar,  or show up in the app selector (Cmd + Tab) . You can only close it with  the window buttons. If you put other apps in front of the DJI window,  you have to hide them all to find it again. This does not comply with  MacOS design guidelines and is confusing. When launched it does show an icon in the dock, (cmd-tab) also works and the hidding in front etc is not what i am seeing?
  • The app won't work if you don't log in. I don't see why since most of the features don't require account access. Far point, you have to log in, i guess it has to do with downloading the firmware. But it's not an hassle cause you login credentials are saved.
  • The app occasionnaly will forget login credentials. Never happend to me, but when using the software i do need to give " admin" access to the app.  
  • The log in window occasionnaly will claim the user/password combination is incorrect, when it IS correct. Never happend to me.
  • Clicking  the "forgot password" link will take you to a password reset page. You  cannot leave the page, there is no back button, you have to quit the app  to log in again. Never tested cannot say
  • The app occasionnaly uses 100% of a CPU core even when not in use. Not on my macbook pro?
  • Sometimes the app won't detect the Mavic or RC. Unplugging+plugging the USB port works.  Maybe a corrupt usb port or usb cable, cause again never happend on my macbook pro.
  • The  main window occasionnaly disappears. It happened to me during the Mavic  firmware upgrade over USB. I had no way to know if it was done  upgrading. I had to check wether the app was still running by using the ps command in terminal. It did complete the upgrade successfully. Very strange, but this never happend to me on my macbook pro
  • The  front sensor calibration tool got stuck at step 3 of the tutorial the  first 3 times I tried. It magically worked the 4th time. Never tested cannot say

I really think it is not a software problem but a hardware problem or maybe some software which interfere.

2017-5-5
Use props
IFlyHigh
New
Flight distance : 414022 ft
France

Mcfliyng: I really doubt it is a hardware problem.
A software conflict could be possible. For example, I had HoRNDIS installed before to use USB tethering with my Android phone. So there might be a driver conflict. I think it did have trouble finding the Mavic in the device list whenever my phone was tethered over USB. But I can't say for sure.
But nevertheless, the app should be able to handle exceptions like this. I have a programming background and I think exception handling is the bare minimum for an application. A driver conflict should trigger an error, not cause erratic behavior like I saw.
I opened DJI assistant today and surprise, the dock icon and taskbar menus are back and I see the icon in cmd+tab.

Combined with the fact that DJI Go 4 currently crashes on any phone running android 7 makes me think DJI need to improve their software development/testing standards.

By the way, here is my setup if it matters:
MacOS 10.11.6 "El Capitan"
Macbook Pro 2014, i7 3GHz, 16 GB
2017-5-6
Use props
rsands
lvl.2
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-5 07:27
I've forwarded your thread on, in time it will get better.

DJI-Ken as a software engineer and somehow who (somewhat) understands the complexity involved here, wouldn't it make sense to have the technical team spend some time clearing down technical debt?  It is a runaway train at present - keep adding features whilst not fixing the constant underlying technical debt is a recipe for complete disaster (which we are all experiencing on Android)
2017-5-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

rsands Posted at 2017-5-6 14:37
DJI-Ken as a software engineer and somehow who (somewhat) understands the complexity involved here, wouldn't it make sense to have the technical team spend some time clearing down technical debt?  It is a runaway train at present - keep adding features whilst not fixing the constant underlying technical debt is a recipe for complete disaster (which we are all experiencing on Android)

I don't know their procedures, I do know that the app and Assistant2 get better over time.
2017-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules