Changing Altitude
1389 14 2017-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Doc Larson
New
Flight distance : 1324987 ft
United States

When I start up an calibrate the drone everything is good to go.  There has been trouble once I fy a short while that significant altitude readings variations without the drone moving.  I've even left the drone idling on the ground and watched the altitude readings climb.  This becomes an issue not only for being lower than reported but when I use some of the autoflight features.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
2017-5-5
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

The altitude comes from a barometer, if the air pressure changes then the indicated altitude will change, there are many reasons that the air pressure may change a little over a few minutes.

How much change are you seeing?
2017-5-5
Use props
Doc Larson
New
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-5-5 12:24
The altitude comes from a barometer, if the air pressure changes then the indicated altitude will change, there are many reasons that the air pressure may change a little over a few minutes.

How much change are you seeing?

multiple feet....up to 25' sometimes
2017-5-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, what kind of areas are you flying in? Did you notice this right out of the box, or after a firmware update or hard landing?
2017-5-5
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Try letting it warm up a little more before taking off. Might help.
2017-5-5
Use props
Doc Larson
New
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-5 14:33
Just to clarify, what kind of areas are you flying in? Did you notice this right out of the box, or after a firmware update or hard landing?

I noticed it starting after using the Autopilot app, it may have been happening before.  I'm in FL, literally 3' above sea level.
2017-5-7
Use props
Doc Larson
New
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-5-5 14:36
Try letting it warm up a little more before taking off. Might help.

I tried that a few times and I could watch the altitude climb increase while the drone is still on the ground.
2017-5-7
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Be cautious idling on the ground.  I have had mine decide to take off on its own because the altimeter changed and the drone was trying to maintain altitude.  This only happened after landing without shutting off motors, but it pays to be careful.
2017-5-7
Use props
Doc Larson
New
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-5-7 13:09
Be cautious idling on the ground.  I have had mine decide to take off on its own because the altimeter changed and the drone was trying to maintain altitude.  This only happened after landing without shutting off motors, but it pays to be careful.

Solid advice, thank you
2017-5-7
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Doc Larson Posted at 2017-5-7 08:41
I tried that a few times and I could watch the altitude climb increase while the drone is still on the ground.

While the motors were running or off?
What I was suggesting was let it warm up (motors off) a little more and see. I don't think the altitude will change with the motors off as it sets that at take-off (I think).
2017-5-7
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Doc Larson Posted at 2017-5-7 08:40
I noticed it starting after using the Autopilot app, it may have been happening before.  I'm in FL, literally 3' above sea level.

Just to make sure I'm on the same page, there's a discrepancy between the readings from the Go app than what's on the Autopilot app or do they both read the same values?
2017-5-8
Use props
Doc Larson
New
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-8 15:16
Just to make sure I'm on the same page, there's a discrepancy between the readings from the Go app than what's on the Autopilot app or do they both read the same values?

They will read the same.
2017-5-26
Use props
proimages
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft
United States

Hi having the same problem on a P4 and Android tab reporting 25' up 50 feet off, always lower never higher. I've been watching this for a couple weeks now.. almost always land in at 20 foot high or more. Caused a couple near crashes about ready to return the craft. In the year I've been flying I never noticed this much discrepancy before
2017-5-26
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I have Autopilot too and have seen this odd altitude event where if I set it to 30 feet in a box pattern, the outward leg may be 30 feet visually, but coming back inward it climbs to maybe 50 feet.  If I allow it to continue in the box it drops to 30 feet again on the outward, but climbs again on the inward.  It's very odd.

In GO 4 I've seen it differ by 45 feet from take-off to landing, but I just chalk it up to not a military type grade aircraft.  Sometimes while flying it shows -6 feet in altitude too.
2017-6-9
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

I too have had this issue since day one. Nobody seems to have a solution.  It happens in the Go 4 app, But it,doesn't seem to occur in the GS Pro app.
2017-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules