5472 11 2017-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gateway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1873806 ft
  • >>>
United States

My buddy just got his new wake board boat, so this weekend we had to break it in before any wake boarding/surfing can happen.  We decided to do a boat bouy slalom.  I just happend to have my mavic with me and wanted to test active track from the boat.  It took a bit before the IMU would warm up and wanted to be stable, for a sec I thought it would never settle and give me the go ahead to fly.  Anyhow here is just a short clip of my buddy kiling it though the bouy's, I cant wait till can start wake boarding.

Btw: Has anyone tried active track on a person behind the boat, I want to see if I can enable profile mode but will need to do some tests if I track the boat but try to keep him in frame.  Suggestions?

2017-5-6
Use props
V_kingo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310157 ft
Chile

Great footage!

oops, someone loose his hat!

check this video using a P4 but I think Mavic is capable too

2017-5-6
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

V_kingo Posted at 2017-5-6 16:15
Great footage!

oops, someone loose his hat!

Yea, we got the hat back.. it was a good test..

Thanks for sharing the video.. that seems pretty simple, however I have much bigger challenges due to my friend kicking ass and doing various jumps.. I may have to try profile mode from the side and make sure im high enough not to get hit by the person jumping or water.. I can also use my P4 thats not a problem ..

see
2017-5-6
Use props
MTUFLYER28
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8477969 ft
United States

Cool videos.  I had the same issue with IMU.  I found placing the drone on the floor of the boat near the center (near center of gravity) seems to have the best results for IMU initialization.   I've successfully tracked my boat as well but have not had an opertunity to attempt to track somebody behind the boat.  I would think with the person flipping and spinning it might confuse the image recognition..    check out https://forum.dji.com/thread-91957-1-1.html thread from somebody that got some great wake boarding video with free flight..   
2017-5-6
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MTUFLYER28 Posted at 2017-5-6 23:37
Cool videos.  I had the same issue with IMU.  I found placing the drone on the floor of the boat near the center (near center of gravity) seems to have the best results for IMU initialization.   I've successfully tracked my boat as well but have not had an opertunity to attempt to track somebody behind the boat.  I would think with the person flipping and spinning it might confuse the image recognition..    check out https://forum.dji.com/thread-91957-1-1.html thread from somebody that got some great wake boarding video with free flight..

Thanks.. I agree it will confuse the tracking system as well, I can fly manually as well, I have plenty of years under my belt flying drones but its a bit more stressful when you need to get some great shots on a boat, with limited time

Btw that link didnt seem to work for me.
2017-5-7
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

When you press RTH on a boat, will it return to the boat or the position in the see where it took of ?
2017-5-7
Use props
MTUFLYER28
lvl.4
United States

Gateway Posted at 2017-5-7 10:32
Thanks.. I agree it will confuse the tracking system as well, I can fly manually as well, I have plenty of years under my belt flying drones but its a bit more stressful when you need to get some great shots on a boat, with limited time  

Btw that link didnt seem to work for me.

Sorry for some reason I've been having issues with getting links working lately...  here is another shot at it:

Apache Lake wakeboarding

Please post more videos once you get some action shots...  I am planning to get some behind the boat action videos this summer but don't have much experience with it so any other useful tips/advice would be welcome.
2017-5-7
Use props
MTUFLYER28
lvl.4
United States

Bradders Posted at 2017-5-7 11:09
When you press RTH on a boat, will it return to the boat or the position in the see where it took of ?

Good question.  On my first trip on the boat I nearly lost my Mavic because I didn't reset my RTH point.  If you you have a gps enabled device I believe you get do do a dynamic RTH which will bring the drone back to your controller device.  Somebody will need to confirm this since I fly with a non gps enabled iPad so I have not tried this out.  If that's not an option you can either deactivate your RTH ( I believe just hover is an option) or you can constantly reset the home location as you go.  You might also consider setting someplace on shore your RTH location just to be safe.
2017-5-7
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

MTUFLYER28 Posted at 2017-5-7 11:28
Good question.  On my first trip on the boat I nearly lost my Mavic because I didn't reset my RTH point.  If you you have a gps enabled device I believe you get do do a dynamic RTH which will bring the drone back to your controller device.  Somebody will need to confirm this since I fly with a non gps enabled iPad so I have not tried this out.  If that's not an option you can either deactivate your RTH ( I believe just hover is an option) or you can constantly reset the home location as you go.  You might also consider setting someplace on shore your RTH location just to be safe.

That makes sense, its always confused me what would happen on a bot but as you say it would be safe to set the home point on the beach / shore, thanks
2017-5-7
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dynamic RTH doesn't exists for the Mavic.  You have to constantly update your position, which I'm sure in software they could do.. See this thread where I found the info and replied
2017-5-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

Brilliant videos
2019-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft