Horizon fix, Beta software, findings:
1854 13 2017-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chewbacca
lvl.2
United Kingdom

So, Just had chance to test the beta firmware that DJI Natalia so kindy sent over. Intial findings are : HUGE improvement from standard firmware, tested it going forwards and backwards, then panned 360 degrees and the horizon was pretty much spot on. For those interested I live by the sea so used the horizon over water as the level. As I said very early days testing this but waay improved over what I was working with, I do believe there was a slight slippage of level a couple of times but in honesty it is a super low contrast day with very flat light this morning so it wasnt the easiest to make out on my galaxy S7. Other than that the craft seemed stable.

Things that I have noted : not sure if the C2 + right dial gimbal adjust is working as it did? Also no matter how slow I make the gimbal pan it never seems to slow down when the Aircraft is in flight - it does it before takeoff, very slow pan, then in flight just reverts to default speed, same with stick panning - any chance the engineers can look into this on android build?

All in all super happy that my awful horizon issues are nearly over, thanks DJI!      

2017-5-6
Use props
CanonMax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Italy

How interesting, that no one is commenting to this post....

DJI

as per: 2017-04-13:

DJI Phantom 4 Pro Model WM331A - Serial: 0AXDDCC - 0A20814 (08 January 2017) flying in MODE 2
Aircraft Firmware: V 01.03.0509 (12 April 2017)
Phantom 4 Pro Remote Controller (GL300F) Firmware: V 1.4.0.0 (07 March 2017)
DJI GO 4 App iOS: V 4.0.7 (11 April 2017)
DJI GS Pro App: V 1.2.1 (28 March 2017)

Flight Database V. 00.00.01.04 (12 April 2017)
App Database V. 00.00.01.04 (12 April 2017)

Apple iPad Pro 9.7" 128GB iOS 10.3.1 (04 April 2017)

Litchi App: V 1.15.9 (02 April 2017)
Litchi Magic Leash App: V. 1.0.3 (14 April 2016)
Litchi Vue App: v 1.0.1 (15 October 2016)

Hover App: V 2.3.0 (13 March 2017)
Airmap for Drones App: V 1.3.2 (16 March 2017)
GPS Plan App: V 2.5.1 (30 August 2016)
H.D. Sync App (Healthy Drones.com/AirData UAV): V 1.1.0 (23 March 2017)

2017-5-7
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

CanonMax Posted at 2017-5-7 01:03
How interesting, that no one is commenting to this post....

DJI

It's the weekend... people are out flying, not reading the forum
2017-5-7
Use props
Chewbacca
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I just thought it was worth posting my findings so as to offer some hope to the legions of people suffering the horizon issue, that a fix may well be nearly here  
2017-5-7
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

I agree. Works amazingly! The manual C2 and gimbal adjustment and the manual adjustment in the app is a little flakey as well.

I hope they clean those bugs up and get this out ASAP as an official release. It is SOOO much better than before.
2017-5-7
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I am curious what you mean by the panning.. Did you mean the pitch of the gimbal isn't slow when in flight? The gimbal settings don't hold after you take off? I hope that is only because it's a beta version.. I love having the smoothness turned up to 17, hope this is corrected without messing up the horizon.
2017-5-8
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

NOTE: This is a REPOST of my original post in another thread on this same topic.

Natalia,

I have completed initial extensive testing of beta firmware V01.03.0510 dated 19 APR 2017 by flying nine batteries over the past three days in both windy and calm conditions and, in a word, WOW!

I am extremely pleased and impressed with the ability of my P4Pro with this beta firmware installed to be able to maintain an absolutely level gimbal horizon in all of the following testing scenarios:
1) Flying forward or backward up to full throttle in P-GPS mode with 11 mph winds aloft coming directly from the right side of aircraft. PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon.
2) Flying right or left at up to full throttle in P-GPS mode with 11 mph winds coming directly from the right side of aircraft (i.e., when flying to the right I am flying directly into the wind). PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon.
3) Flying forward, backwards, left, right and hovering with 3 mph winds aloft. PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon.
4) Flying forward or backward up to full throttle in P-GPS mode with 16 mph winds aloft coming directly from the right side of aircraft. PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon.
5) Flying right or left at up to full throttle in P-GPS mode with 16 mph winds coming directly from the right side of aircraft (i.e., when flying to the right I am flying directly into the wind). The P4Pro PASSED this SEVERE  TEST and was able to maintain an absolutely level gimbal horizon.
6) Flying forward or backward up to full throttle in P-GPS mode with 14-16 mph winds aloft coming directly from the right side of aircraft. PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon.
7)  Flying right or left at up to full throttle in P-GPS mode with 14-16 mph winds coming directly from the front right side of aircraft (i.e., wind is coming from direction of front right propeller towards center of aircraft). The P4Pro PASSED this SEVERE TEST with strong 45-degree angle winds and was able to maintain an absolutely level gimbal horizon with only one minor issue noted (not a firmware issue): at ground speeds above 24 mph flying to the right directly into 16 mph wind, the gimbal would occasionally become overloaded and tilt over at a 70-80 degree angle (horizon approaching vertical orientation) then snap back to a level horizon. This would not occur at speeds below 20 mph sideways directly into wind. This happened three times in a 20-minute flight.
8) Completed three complete 500-foot-radius POI circles around an apartment complex under construction with gusty 14-16 mph maximum winds while flying at 10.5 mph with no gimbal instability observed and a perfectly level gimbal horizon for the entire POI flight.  PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon.
9) Flying a long-distance flight at 400' AGL elevation up to a maximum distance of 20,000 feet from home point in 5.8 GHz Auto HD transmission mode with the wind coming directly from the right side of the aircraft on the outbound leg of the flight and 14-16 mph wind coming directly from the left side of the aircraft on the return leg of the flight.  PASSED - absolutely level gimbal horizon throughout the entire flight. One minor issue noted - at about midpoint of the flight as I slowed to a near stop above a water treatment pond and tilted the P4Pro camera directly downward with 14-16 mph wind coming from the right, the gimbal "twitched" 10 degrees or so then immediately stabilized. No other gimbal instability was noted throughout the entire 20-minute flight.

NOTES:
A) After installing the beta firmware version V01.03.0510, I performed a "cold" IMU calibration (put P4Pro aircraft without battery in the fridge for 10 minutes, then installed room-temperature battery and immediately execute the IMU calibration procedure).
B) The IMU calibration procedure yielded an absolutely level gimbal horizon, which I tested indoors by lifting the aircraft off its level calibration platform and observing various objects in my kitchen (doorways, cabinet tops, towell bar, etc.), which I have determined to be absolutely horizontal or vertical using a level and observing the live video image with grid lines turned on.
C) After performing the IMU calibration, I then performed a gimbal calibration, which yielded a gimbal horizon that was tilted about 1 degree to the right.
D) I repeated the IMU calibration procedure, which once again produced an absolutely level gimbal horizon on my P4Pro aircraft. So, I did not perform another gimbal calibration.
E) WIND SPEED MEASUREMENT PROCEDURE: All wind speeds aloft were measured by allowing the P4Pro to hover stationary in P-GPS mode at the same elevation as test flight to immediately follow, then switching to ATTI mode and, after waiting 20-30 seconds, observing the direction and reported aircraft horizontal speed in mph on the DJI GO 4 app as the P4Pro drifted with the wind.
F) For all testing scenarios listed above, a PolarPro ND8 filter with circular polarizer was installed on the P4Pro camera. This ND8+polarizing filter is definitely heavier than the original DJI screw-on UV filter for the camera lens.

Please pass on my CONGRATULATIONS and THANKS to the DJI firmware programmers that developed this beta firmware that achieves such extraordinary level gimbal horizon in even the severe testing conditions as noted above. GREAT JOB!
2017-5-8
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-5-8 06:57
NOTE: This is a REPOST of my original post in another thread on this same topic.

Natalia,

What about the gimbal speed ? Did you see something different ?
2017-5-8
Use props
fans75cd5e28
New
Flight distance : 100394 ft
United States

My phantom 3 standard is beep I don't what I do plus my app got deleted from my phone can some one help me out
2017-5-8
Use props
Chewbacca
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-5-8 05:33
I am curious what you mean by the panning.. Did you mean the pitch of the gimbal isn't slow when in flight? The gimbal settings don't hold after you take off?  I hope that is only because it's a beta version.. I love having the smoothness turned up to 17, hope this is corrected without messing up the horizon.

Yes, But it was this way before this beta firmware.
2017-5-8
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Chewbacca Posted at 2017-5-8 12:09
Yes, But it was this way before this beta firmware.

What do you have your gimbal settings at? I have no problems with it being smooth and slow..
2017-5-8
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bullflyer Posted at 2017-5-8 08:20
What about the gimbal speed ? Did you see something different ?

You can slow the gimbal speed way down and adjust smoothness. Installing the beta didn't change my settings for either - nice and slow.
2017-5-8
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-5-8 14:47
You can slow the gimbal speed way down and adjust smoothness. Installing the beta didn't change my settings for either - nice and slow.

It looks like we are going in the good way
2017-5-9
Use props
fans26e03e59
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1436132 ft
United States

Is there an ETA for the new P4P firmware mentioned in this thread?
2017-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules