I live in a red zone - help!
1834 6 2017-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1c25639b
New

United Kingdom

Hi guys.
After a lot of playing with toy drones and watching numerous YouTube videos whilst saving my pennies ;-) I was instructed by my wife 'to just buy one and stop droning on about it' ;-)
So I'm now the owner of a dji phantom 3 advanced.... it's great and I have picked up the controls pretty quickly, compared to a friends yuneec, my dji seams to be a lot better in every way.... however....
I live on an estate right next to a category C prison (I'm in England btw), although all of the houses are privately owned, the prison is under a large red restricted area. This means I can not even start my drone at home or in my garden. This is proving a nightmare when trying to set up or play around with settings as I have to drive away from my home to have a go with it and then return to get my internet connection etc, a real ball ache....
I appreciate the prison do not want camera drones flying over and I have no intention to do so, I would even be happy to keep my drone below 10 feet just for set up/ practice purposes in the garden, what I dont want to do is use it on attitude mode and ultimately lose control over the prison!!
I also (from what I have read) do not want to have to apply for permission to use my own goods in my own home every 3 days!
I would like to know if I can get a permanent 'pass' to use my drone at home,  or should I have spent my money on another brand that does not have such harsh restrictions? Thanks in advance...
2017-5-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You can "play around with the settings" inside your house provided your AC doesn't pick up too many satellites.  

Another option is the get a P2 series AC such as the P2V+.  

2017-5-7
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Didn't think you could get a pass to enter a prisons restricted airspace!

You are not allowed to fly in a residential area so there is not much you can learn at home anyway.

You should be able to set it up in the house, out of GPS range, and play with the simulator, for proper flying you need to find somewhere suitable.

2017-5-7
Use props
eColumbia01
lvl.4
United States

I've no idea on the laws in England regarding no fly zones around prisons. However I would simply call the prison up and ask for a meeting. Obviously prisons do not want drones flying around them to keep out contraband. However prisons also want to be good neighbors too. At the meeting request that an accommodation can be worked out - something as simple as notifying the prison every time you fly. Setting up a GEO fence along with documentation. I do not know if it will work but you have nothing to lose by talking with them.
Also - the DJI drones are a bit unique in that they have the no fly zones built in the software. The solution to your problem is not to purchase a drone that allows you to bypass the no fly zone. The solution is to go through whatever hoops you need to fly in the no fly zone and obtain an exception - or else find somewhere else to fly.
2017-5-7
Use props
Dav 0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 277585 ft

I don't know if this will work for you, but I was next to an airstrip which is marked as a red no fly zone. After a chat with the control tower rather than unlocking zones I just went into the menu and turned off Geo 'something' and suddenly I can fly without restrictions.
2017-5-7
Use props
Dav 0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 277585 ft

Like this
IMG_2260.PNG
2017-5-7
Use props
ipechman
lvl.1

United States

Dav 0 Posted at 2017-5-7 14:59
Like this[Image]

How do you have this option? Are you a developer or something?
2018-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules