Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Possibly a close call with a bird of prey...
839 9 2017-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
un hombre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 170830 ft
Ireland

I was doing my regular sightseeing of a nice gatehouse (Duckett's Grove in Ireland) when all of a sudden I realised, a big bird was gliding close by in my FOV.
Well, I had no idea how it can end so decided to run for my Mavic's life and thankfully nothing bad happened.

It looks funny, though:

1) I see a bird in the view,
2) I pan the camera to make sure what I see is what I think it is,
3) Full throttle home...

2017-5-7
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I would like to see it, but I think you have uploaded the wrong link, if you view the video at the bottom there is a 'share' button, then copy the link
2017-5-7
Use props
un hombre
lvl.2
Ireland

Bradders Posted at 2017-5-7 10:48
I would like to see it, but I think you have uploaded the wrong link, if you view the video at the bottom there is a 'share' button, then copy the link

It should be embedded in the post now, is it?
2017-5-7
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Man you got lucky but it was a beautiful shot!
2017-5-7
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

un hombre , That looked like a hawk , I can fly with them where I am they don't seem to mind ( YET ? )
                   Eagles are my problem, they sneakup and attack from behind you  ---- Good Capture of it !!!!!!
FlySafe-Flyfree
2017-5-7
Use props
un hombre
lvl.2
Ireland

I have no idea what it was, but it definitely was not a pigeon...

I have seen many videos where those predators don't mind drones, but I did not want to take the chance.
2017-5-7
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

un hombre Posted at 2017-5-7 11:33
I have no idea what it was, but it definitely was not a pigeon...

I have seen many videos where those predators don't mind drones, but I did not want to take the chance.

definitely was not a pigeon... wahahahahah your funny
2017-5-7
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Usually if you are above them you will be fine . Birds can't rise to attack very well but they certainly can dive quickly . Nice shot .
2017-5-7
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

One of the best videos of nature I've seen on this forum was a hawk in flight riding the thermals.  I understand the concern, but the flash of a glimpse you got was really incredible, and as indicated by others, I really don't think there is much to be concerned about.  If you aren't threatening a nesting area, you're probably ok flying in the vicinity of a hawk.  Being in flight and around the same size, I don't think it to be possible to look like prey.  A larger bird of prey might be different, but not a hawk.

If I get the opportunity, I'm sticking with taking video as long as possible.

Thanks for sharing......
2017-5-7
Use props
un hombre
lvl.2
Ireland

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

From perspective I think you may be right - there was probably no real concern for the Mavic, however...
I was far away from the Mavic, I was not able to judge what is the hawk up to. In fact I only noticed the bird when it was in the camera view. Because of those facts I did not want to take a risk of damaging my precious or injuring the beautiful fella.

If I am fortunate to have this kind of opportunity again, I will be more calm
2017-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules