681 9 2017-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alaska42
First Officer
Flight distance : 3668114 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tons of footage since I got this drone. This is the first time I have seen this much softness in the footage. Trees are out of focus and yes I focused before recording.

2017-5-7
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I've seen this so many times on so many videos. Mine doesn't have this problem, has me scratching my head. Unless it's not in focus, but you know what you're doing.

Could be you've had this problem but it's never showed because you don't film trees much. Sometimes I get like a fuzzy look in trees with no leaves at random and water sometimes pixels up depending on the shot, but that's probably down to the low h.264 bitrate. This is something to do with bad focus. You manually focusing?
2017-5-7
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

Is it the old - 1 -2 sharpen setting .  
2017-5-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Bintryin Posted at 2017-5-7 21:01

Yeah, that would be my guess. Shooting with negative sharpness values and compensating in post may work well for other DJI products, but doing it with the Mavic in less than bright light conditions is just not a workable approach because that combination interacts poorly with this platform's noise reduction algorithms, turning trees into mush.

That last shot, though, looked focused on the mountains -- might've had better luck with a hyperfocal point?

Awesome location to shoot, though! What was that crazy igloo structure, anyway?

2017-5-7
Use props
alaska42
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-7 20:33
I've seen this so many times on so many videos. Mine doesn't have this problem, has me scratching my head. Unless it's not in focus, but you know what you're doing.

Could be you've had this problem but it's never showed because you don't film trees much. Sometimes I get like a fuzzy look in trees with no leaves at random and water sometimes pixels up depending on the shot, but that's probably down to the low h.264 bitrate. This is something to do with bad focus. You manually focusing?

It is odd because the Igloo and mountains are in focus. You may be right about me not noticing before, I will have to play around with the settings this summer.
2017-5-8
Use props
alaska42
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bintryin Posted at 2017-5-7 21:01

Filmed at -1,0,0. Do you recommend +1 sharpening?
2017-5-8
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

alaska42 Posted at 2017-5-8 03:59
It is odd because the Igloo and mountains are in focus. You may be right about me not noticing before, I will have to play around with the settings this summer.

Yeah it's weird, even some good videos the trees look like they're painted. I film at 0 sharpening. Found that's the best spot for the firmware I'm on. But sure these guys know what the best settings are for newer firmware.
2017-5-8
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

alaska42 Posted at 2017-5-8 03:59
Filmed at -1,0,0. Do you recommend +1 sharpening?

I think people are using different sharpness values in different settings. I thus far have left it at 0, though I'm planning on trying -1 on a really bright day, like at the beach, but many are recommending +1 for lower light scenarios. Good luck figuring out what works best for your subject matter and part of the world, it'll take some experimentation to suss it out.
2017-5-8
Use props
alaska42
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-8 09:56
I think people are using different sharpness values in different settings. I thus far have left it at 0, though I'm planning on trying -1 on a really bright day, like at the beach, but many are recommending +1 for lower light scenarios. Good luck figuring out what works best for your subject matter and part of the world, it'll take some experimentation to suss it out.

Thanks for the reply. I will test it this weekend and report on my findings.
2017-5-8
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

It looks like an old Igloo gas station to me, but I wonder why they did with the upper levels of the structure.  I wonder if they offered rooms for travelers.
2017-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules