Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Scary Mavic + Samsung S8plus flight
1097 12 2017-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
govindliterally
New
Flight distance : 112484 ft
India

Hey Guys,

Just got home from what was my scariest drone flying experience.
i had switched to a spanking new samsung galaxy s8 plus and was flying my mavic pro on it for the third time today morning.
After a smooth take off and  flight, about 20mins down suddenly the phone shows a message saying "Dji Go 4 App" has crashed .
I leave the controls and try to see where the flight is and it wasnt visible to my eyes.
The app failed to restart after numerous attempts and then i finally decided to scout and search for it . The Mavic Pro was designed to return to the spot it took up and
as a result of the app crashing i am guessing the location was not recorded .
I walked around searching for it to the point where the battery got over, moving the drone on the controls and i could hear the obstacle alert go off and i decided it was not a safe bet to fly it without actually seeing it .
I estimated the location where i was last clicking pictures and finally found the drone landed on dry land.

After getting home , i restarted the phone and now the app seems to work fine again for about 15mins and then decides to force quit itself. I am actually scared to fly on it again !!

Is this a known problem or Has anyone else had such problems ? Is there any workaround or updates on its way ?

Eagerly waiting for answers
2017-5-7
Use props
Kenwae
lvl.3
United States

I've heard of such on forums, so it's not an entirely isolated situation. I've used my S7 for short periods and it has been okay; for the most part though I use a dedicated ipad mini 2 which has never failed.

2017-5-7
Use props
govindliterally
New
India

Kenwae Posted at 2017-5-7 21:51
I've heard of such on forums, so it's not an entirely isolated situation. I've used my S7 for short periods and it has been okay; for the most part though I used a dedicated ipad mini 2 which has never failed.

I have only flown on an ios system till last week. This has been a scary awakening then
2017-5-7
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

You have to remember that you are a test pilot because that phone is not one of the approved ones. I know that there are still some people who have issues on even the approved phones but the s8 is really unknown at this time. If you want to continue to use it then you will have to take into account that the app can crash. So fly LOS and well clear of obstacles. Take the time to make sure the home point is definitely set and actually check the map to make sure it is correct.
2017-5-7
Use props
Iamz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487480 ft
Thailand

Make sure the home point has been updated correctly before you take off. Then even if the app crashes and you can't start it again, you'll still be able to use the RTH button to call it home.
2017-5-7
Use props
govindliterally
New
India

Iamz Posted at 2017-5-7 22:52
Make sure the home point has been updated correctly before you take off. Then even if the app crashes and you can't start it again, you'll still be able to use the RTH button to call it home.

the RTH point had been noted , i clearly remember. i pressed the RTH button on the map after loosing the app and the drone just stayed put !
2017-5-7
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

S8  with Android 7.0 is not yet supported officially, so you are taking a risk. I have an S6, still on 6.1, haven't had any crash and flew a lot of batteries.
2017-5-8
Use props
MavicAlpha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243770 ft
Malaysia

im using HTC one M8, had 1 experience on my DJI GO APP not responding and shut off. but after a while, it auto open the app and connect back again.
2017-5-8
Use props
K4Unl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 122175 ft
Netherlands

govindliterally Posted at 2017-5-7 23:58
the RTH point had been noted , i clearly remember. i pressed the RTH button on the map after loosing the app and the drone just stayed put !

You know you have a physical button to do that.. right?
2017-5-8
Use props
Iamz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487480 ft
Thailand

govindliterally Posted at 2017-5-7 23:58

I'm a bit confused. Did you mean the button on the controller (top-right of the left stick) or the button in the app?
2017-5-8
Use props
govindliterally
New
India

The rth button on the remote .
2017-9-20
Use props
Ken Huang
lvl.4
Australia

Have you turn off all apps and use airplane mode, as samsung's phone are not very good for multe tasking.
2017-9-20
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Third flight and flying it out of line of sight?  Error of judgement there.  Its perfectly possible to fly the mavic with no app or if the app has crashed - the RC still works.
2017-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules