Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 X5S not saving pictures to the SD card
3913 36 2017-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansae22bc1d
Flight distance : 455505 ft
United States

Hey all. I purchsed an Inspire 2 with the X5S camera about 2 weeks ago. My issue is the Inspire 2 doesn't save all of the photos to my SD card. For example.....I send the unit up and take 12 still photos from all angles of  building. I land and only 3 photos are on the card. Its random as well. Not like the first 3 saved and the rest didnt. It might be the first 2 and the last 1 for example.
I have tried formatting the card in the Inspire 2 and it seemed to work on the next flight. All photos were on the card. Now today I launched and took 12-15 photos. I left the area only to find out that only three pictures saved to the SD.

Anyone else having these issues or know of a fix. I am operating on the newest version of DJI Go 4 and the newest Inspire 2 firmware.

2017-5-9
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is very strange for sure. May I ask what is the size / type of SD card are you using and is it rated U3?  The standard 16 gig card will not hold much.

Also, I would try a different SD card  I use the san disk extreme series   link
Keep us posted

Rich
2017-5-9
Use props
Electro-Nick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

Out of interest... Are you sure you're actually taking the photos? If you're using the shutter button on the right hand side of the remote controller, then make sure you're actually pressing the shutter button and not the pause button instead - it's easy to press the wrong one by accident!  I've done it a few times myself

If you're pressing the right buttons... are the files numbered sequentially, or are there gaps between them. If they're sequential, it suggests that the photos aren't being taken in the first place... if there are gaps, then there's something wrong....
2017-5-9
Use props
fansae22bc1d
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-9 09:26
That is very strange for sure. May I ask what is the size / type of SD card are you using and is it rated U3?  The standard 16 gig card will not hold much.

Also, I would try a different SD card  I use the san disk extreme series   link

I am using a 32GB Sandisk Extreme U3 ( gold and red ) card. I also purchased a second Sandisk Extreme 64GB but I can't say for sure if the 64GB is doing the same as I haven't used it much.

I will be trying the 16GB that came with the Inspire as well as the 64 GB and let you know.

All cards go up empty and only have 30-40 pics total after the flight so it can't be a capacity issue.
2017-5-9
Use props
fansae22bc1d
United States

Electro-Nick Posted at 2017-5-9 10:09
Out of interest... Are you sure you're actually taking the photos? If you're using the shutter button on the right hand side of the remote controller, then make sure you're actually pressing the shutter button and not the pause button instead - it's easy to press the wrong one by accident!  I've done it a few times myself

If you're pressing the right buttons... are the files numbered sequentially, or are there gaps between them. If they're sequential, it suggests that the photos aren't being taken in the first place... if there are gaps, then there's something wrong....

All of the photos were snapped using the on screen tap. I tap to focus and then tap the white on screen button to take the pic. I also hear the signature picture sound from the iPad on all pics. So it for sure sounds like the pic has been taken.

Interesting question about the file sequence. I will take a look and see if hey are sequential as you suggested.
2017-5-9
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansae22bc1d Posted at 2017-5-9 10:23
I am using a 32GB Sandisk Extreme U3 ( gold and red ) card. I also purchased a second Sandisk Extreme 64GB but I can't say for sure if the 64GB is doing the same as I haven't used it much.

I will be trying the 16GB that came with the Inspire as well as the 64 GB and let you know.

I was only trying to see if you maybe had a bad SD card and it looks like you are using good quality cards. The other thing to check and see if you are using single shot photo or if you have accidently turned on timed shot?

Let us know what you find out
All the best
Rich
2017-5-9
Use props
fansae22bc1d
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-9 10:36
I was only trying to see if you maybe had a bad SD card and it looks like you are using good quality cards. The other thing to check and see if you are using single shot photo or if you have accidently turned on timed shot?

Let us know what you find out

For sure....and I appreciate every response here. I believe it is in single shot but will verify. I do have it set to snap a raw + jpeg. I wouldn't think that part should matter. I never get a raw version with a jpeg missing or vice versa. They are either both there or not.

I am headed out to verify the file sequence on the last set that didn't take. Will keep you updated. Thanks again.
2017-5-9
Use props
fansae22bc1d
United States

I did check the card file numbers and the file numbers are in sequential order. For example on the first building today I snapped the first photo of the day on an empty 32GB card. that file was named 01. I then snapped around 5-6 images down the right side of that property ( don't remember exact number because they didn't save) then moved to a downward facing shot over the top of the property for 2 shots then off to the left for 3-4 more. It skipped the 5-6 on the right side, wrote the 2 downward facing shots, then skipped the 3-4 on the left side. It then picked up on another property and nailed about 12 shots on another property without missing any. The card was never removed from the Inspire 2 while switching locations.

Another interesting fact is that all of the "missed" shots are not in the DJI Go app either. So it is not saving them to the SD or the DJI GO app. To me that kind of rules out a bad SD card but I will try another to be sure.

Very interesting since all of the photos from both locations were snapped the same way with no changes in settings. All snapped from pressing the on screen button. And all give the audio feedback on the iPad when snapped.

Its almost as if the DJI GO app snaps it but the UAV never gets the command..hmmmmm
2017-5-9
Use props
Electro-Nick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

Try using the shutter button on the remote and see if it does the same thing.

If everything is recorded in sequence, then it's most likely something you're doing, or that the Go4 app isn't!  I've occasionally found that the red screen button can register a shot (makes a click noise), but doesn't take a photo if it's pressed while the system is still saving the previous shot (usually shown by the outer circle of the red button rotating).
2017-5-9
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Please try post #9's advice and let us know if there is any difference. In addition, are you shooting JPG, RAW or both?
2017-5-9
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansae22bc1d Posted at 2017-5-9 12:19
I did check the card file numbers and the file numbers are in sequential order. For example on the first building today I snapped the first photo of the day on an empty 32GB card. that file was named 01. I then snapped around 5-6 images down the right side of that property ( don't remember exact number because they didn't save) then moved to a downward facing shot over the top of the property for 2 shots then off to the left for 3-4 more. It skipped the 5-6 on the right side, wrote the 2 downward facing shots, then skipped the 3-4 on the left side. It then picked up on another property and nailed about 12 shots on another property without missing any. The card was never removed from the Inspire 2 while switching locations.

Another interesting fact is that all of the "missed" shots are not in the DJI Go app either. So it is not saving them to the SD or the DJI GO app. To me that kind of rules out a bad SD card but I will try another to be sure.

Sounds like you are getting some good feedback. I was out flying today and used both the video and shutter buttons on the remote .. then tapped on the ipad for another set without any problems.  

So, you need to use the buttons on the remote and see if that rules out the iPad and Go App. And try a different SD card too.

Thanks for sharing
Rich
2017-5-9
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-9 19:55
Sounds like you are getting some good feedback. I was out flying today and used both the video and shutter buttons on the remote .. then tapped on the ipad for another set without any problems.  

So, you need to use the buttons on the remote and see if that rules out the iPad and Go App. And try a different SD card too.

Hi Rich, thought I would chime in, I have seen somewhat of this issue as well on my I2 with X5S, but only when I use the focus wheel for external manual focus adjustment.

The button on the remote as well as the one in the Goapp becomes unresponsive and no photo is taken either way, when this happens I am also not able to switch between photo and video mode. It behaves like it has frozen up. Only fix I found was to land and restart everything and it is back to normal and everything works.

2017-5-10
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-5-10 04:47
Hi Rich, thought I would chime in, I have seen somewhat of this issue as well on my I2 with X5S, but only when I use the focus wheel for external manual focus adjustment.

The button on the remote as well as the one in the Goapp becomes unresponsive and no photo is taken either way, when this happens I am also not able to switch between photo and video mode. It behaves like it has frozen up. Only fix I found was to land and restart everything and it is back to normal and everything works.

Hi Cougar

Very interesting, it sounds like a glitch with the Go4 App. What would happen if you just reboot the Go App while you are in the air? just weird stuff.
I  was thinking about you yesterday while flying at the river with a beautiful weather. Are you able to get out and fly more with your new I2? Has the weather improved?  Can't wait to see some of your video samples!

Good seeing you posting again..
Rich
2017-5-10
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-10 06:57
Hi Cougar

Very interesting, it sounds like a glitch with the Go4 App. What would happen if you just reboot the Go App while you are in the air? just weird stuff.

Hi Rich, agree it might be the app but think it is more then that. Tried to reset the app only but no success, have to reboot the I2 as well. Leaning more towards another implementation of FW and new features, possible linked to the new RC coming out with focus adjustment right from the RC? Just speculations on my part but seems plausible since the issue is more noticeable when using the focus wheel. Need to do more testing.

Weather has been dreadful (as it has in many places) with lot's of rain and still not over but hoping for better soon. As you know the new regs for flying here in Canada is crazy so took the time when flying was not possible to update my certificates so I can fly, but new regs that will go in affect for 2018 will be posted in June so don't know where that will end up.
Best,
Cougar
2017-5-10
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-5-10 07:30
Hi Rich, agree it might be the app but think it is more then that. Tried to reset the app only but no success, have to reboot the I2 as well. Leaning more towards another implementation of FW and new features, possible linked to the new RC coming out with focus adjustment right from the RC? Just speculations on my part but seems plausible since the issue is more noticeable when using the focus wheel. Need to do more testing.

Weather has been dreadful (as it has in many places) with lot's of rain and still not over but hoping for better soon. As you know the new regs for flying here in Canada is crazy so took the time when flying was not possible to update my certificates so I can fly, but new regs that will go in affect for 2018 will be posted in June so don't know where that will end up.

Hi Cougar
I think you are spot on regarding the new $1K remote and FW updates having something to do with the issue. It will be very interesting to see how this pans out.

I stopped following the crazy new drone rules that were forced out recently. I am so sorry for you guys... I mean how the heck can you find  a place to fly that has no cars, buildings or animals?  

I pray that you can get the rules overturned, as these are clearly one person's negative response to this new technology of drones.... that does not have a clue!
PS. weather has been very bad here too, the last 3 days we have had a summer tease

DJI quick edit onsite for the guys fishing....

Rich
2017-5-10
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-10 07:59
Hi Cougar
I think you are spot on regarding the new $1K remote and FW updates having something to do with the issue. It will be very interesting to see how this pans out.

Thank you Rich, beautiful clip and beautiful nature, maybe I have to come visit you so I can fly without looking behind my back all the time.
2017-5-10
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-5-10 08:39
Thank you Rich, beautiful clip and beautiful nature, maybe I have to come visit you so I can fly without looking behind my back all the time.

Thank you, I didn't take much time with the edit.  oh, I was flying with a ND 8 filter and manually adjusting the camera..

Anytime.. you are welcome to visit and fly !!  Maybe I can see the Inspire 2 in person    

Rich
2017-5-10
Use props
fansae22bc1d
United States

I will give you guys an update soon. It's been a busy week and I haven't been able to fly. The rain grounded me today.  To be continued......
2017-5-13
Use props
fansae22bc1d
United States

I was able to replicate this problem today and also noticed a way to tell if the photos are not being taken. So here we go.........

I arrived at a photo shoot today and launched the inspire 2 for some still pics. I was shooting full manual with auto focus. I proceeded to take around 16 still shots of the subject from different angles. Very early into this flight I noticed I was having to "tap to focus" twice to get the camera to pull the focus beep. I would move to a new angle, tap to focus once at which point the green square would appear but no focus beep was heard. Every time on the second " tap to focus" the green square would again appear but would pull a focus beep. At that point I would fire the shutter and hear the shutter noise etc. After landing only the first of the 16 or so photos was taken. I was shooting in JPEG+RAW with AEB 3 enabled.

After removing the card from the Inspire to check the pictures ( and finding out there were none) I put the card back into the Inspire, put a fresh set of batteries in, and launched to reshoot the same set. What I noticed this time was that every single shot only took a single " tap to focus" touch to get the focus ready beep. All of the photos on this flight were saved properly and all of them gave the focus ready beep on the first "tap to focus"

What I don't know is what is causing this. But now I do have a way to tell when it isn't taking pictures. When the first" tap to focus" fails and it requires a second tap they aren't being saved. The next time I notice having to use tap to focus twice I plan to use the controller shutter button to see if anything changes. I did do a camera focus calibration before the problem returned today so we can rule that out. I purchased my Inspire 1 on release date and have not had any missing photos before. Also I have not noticed any missing photos when using third party apps so I am crossing my fingers it is something with the DJI GO 4 app and not the bird. Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide any suggestions.
2017-5-18
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Curious, since you feel the need to sometimes double-tap the screen, are you using a Samsung tablet for the screen?

I sometimes use a Samsung 10" tablet but find it will often not respond on the first or second finger tap with even other programs.  Sometimes I have to really press hard on it to take and hear the audible click.  More problematic is when the screen stops responding at times and I press the tablet's on-off button briefly and it seems to allow the touch-screen to work.  Sometimes I have to do a hard reboot of it if it goes dark which it does too.  The iPad Air 2 responds better to my finger presses for some reason over the Samsung.

2017-5-18
Use props
fansae22bc1d
United States

That sounds like a separate problem from mine. I am using the iPad Pro 9.7. It is very responsive and doesn't pause any. It it's the real a double tap per say. It's more like an initial tap that triggers the green focus box. It just doesn't focus lock the first time requiring me to tap again to get a focus lock. Maybe I can do a screen record with some audio next time it does it. I never know when.  But I do know now that when a second tap is required for focus it won't take a pic.
2017-5-19
Use props
allanart
First Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I find that I do sometimes have to tap twice to Auto Focus, but have never found that stills have not been recorded. That said, I never use the shutter button the Go4 App, preferring to use the physical shutter button on the RC.
Regards
Allan
2017-5-19
Use props
fansae22bc1d
United States

Thanks for the response Allen. That will be the next thing I try now that I can identify when it is happening. I just wanted to keep everything the same to try and replicate the problem.

It would be interesting if you could try to replicate the problem. I know you said you always use the remote shutter button. But next time you notice have to focus twice.....use the on screen for 3-4 shots and see what happens.
2017-5-19
Use props
fansae22bc1d
United States

Still having this issue. Shooting in Manual focus at infinity has stopped the problem from happening. But now I am having issues using other flight software was well. Not just DJI GO 4. Shooting panos I land only to find that I am missing 3-4 photos out of 38. This seems to be a hardware problem not software as I had first suspected.
2017-6-16
Use props
fansa752e9e1
New
Flight distance : 1917126 ft
Denmark

Hi
I have the same problem. I have taken 5 photos today, but only 1 photo has been saved.

I use an inspire 2, with an x7 camera. I have the same problem with the x5s camera. It has been going on for several months.

With best regards
Kim

2017-12-10
Use props
fans8b803c8d
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55305 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

fansa752e9e1 Posted at 2017-12-10 11:44
Hi
I have the same problem. I have taken 5 photos today, but only 1 photo has been saved.

I also experienced this issue on a recent building exterior survey shoot requiring almost 800 photos. I noticed missing shots on the first day and we had to re-take several images. It was occurring randomly.

On the second day I ran a short test and observed that the audio shutter sound alone was not to be relied on as confirmation of a recorded photo. I would hit the shutter button, hear the audio shutter but, on checking playback, there was no image recorded.

I then noticed that a missing photo coincided with the absence of the white animated circle action, to the right side of the Go 4 app screen, even though the shutter click was audible.

In my experience it was only when you hear the shutter and also see the white animated circle on the right hand side of the Go 4 app do a full circle that you can be sure the image is recorded to the memory card. This was a repeatable phenomona and I was able to totally rely on the white animated circle as confirmation and absolutely not the audio. Which is not entirely satisfactory because it requires watching for the animated circle every time a photo is taken.

Nevertheless I adapted to this workflow and we didn't miss a shot for the rest of the shoot.

This would seem to be a software bug and I would be very interested in DJI's response.

Inspire 2, X5S capturing JPEG and DNG, SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro
2017-12-10
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
United States

Is this using an Apple device?  I've been getting slow starts on hitting the video button by a few seconds.  I've also had missed stills as well on the SD card.

A lot of this has been on the P4S of mine and I'm now beginning to think it is Apple iOS 11 acting up as some are saying GO 4 is crashing on them.  Autopilot refused to launch a mission for me and it threw up a "Aircraft Disconnected" message.  GO 4.1.8 hasn't crashed, but it does lose settings over time and I can get them all back immediately if I unplug the Lightning cable and replug it back in.

Something is wrong with the slowness of it charging with iOS 11too compared to the prior 10 version and that might be related to something wrong with the Lightning charging and data port.  Apple forums are full of the charging complaints since 11.

2017-12-10
Use props
fans8b803c8d
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55305 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-12-10 14:17
Is this using an Apple device?  I've been getting slow starts on hitting the video button by a few seconds.  I've also had missed stills as well on the SD card.

A lot of this has been on the P4S of mine and I'm now beginning to think it is Apple iOS 11 acting up as some are saying GO 4 is crashing on them.  Autopilot refused to launch a mission for me and it threw up a "Aircraft Disconnected" message.  GO 4.1.8 hasn't crashed, but it does lose settings over time and I can get them all back immediately if I unplug the Lightning cable and replug it back in.

Yes, an iPad 4 Mini. But I'm still on iOS10.3.3, have held off updating due to ongoing issues. I think the Go 4 app was version 4.1.16 at the time of the stills shoot, or the one before that. I've since updated it to 4.1.18 but haven't checked this stills shutter confirmation yet.
2017-12-10
Use props
SuperFly Aerials
lvl.1
Australia

I'm having the same problem with images not saving to both Lexar and Sandisk extreme sd cards. Happens whether I use the shutter button on either the controller or the iPad Pro. Makes the sound every time but randomly fails to save images. I'm really not sure what to do because checking after every photo is taken whether or not it has been saved is highly unworkable!

I noticed DJI failed to chime in on this thread?!?

HELP!!!!!!
2018-1-31
Use props
DaBone
lvl.4

Sweden

Has anything happened lately? Have had this problem myself since I bought my I2 / X5S last fall.
Noticed that images were not saved and sometimes the images were saved, but the sharpness was not there despite receiving confirmation via the app. Double click the focus and look at the circulating motion around the shutter button, as mentioned above, also became my mode of operation.

But this is not a very decent way of working and a solution to the problem from DJI should have come a long time ago. With so much trouble I've had with my I2, it seems that it will be my last I buy from them.
When neither I or my customers can trust me to get my job done, it will not work anymore.

Uses I2 with an X5S and Sandisk Extreme (32-128GB) mSD card.

One thought that hit me is if my iPad Air (2013-2014) is too dull ..? But everything else works and it's not lagging..
2018-3-11
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
United States

If it is skipping photos yet seems to be flying okay and sometimes taking photos, go to the About and see if all information is there or only partial.  I've seen where GO 4 will only show some of the version info, and if I unplug and replug the USB cable the information shown in About screen grows and shows additional info.  It's like it halfway works at times.  Bizarre.
2018-3-11
Use props
DaBone
lvl.4

Sweden

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2018-3-11 10:10
If it is skipping photos yet seems to be flying okay and sometimes taking photos, go to the About and see if all information is there or only partial.  I've seen where GO 4 will only show some of the version info, and if I unplug and replug the USB cable the information shown in About screen grows and shows additional info.  It's like it halfway works at times.  Bizarre.

All information is there.. Updated all firmware also today, with no luck..
2018-3-12
Use props
Lupe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 573064 ft
Denmark

This problem is strange and I also have it. I too sometimes have to tap twice to get it to focus. Just noticed this last week even though I've had I2 with X5S over a year. Always used the remote shutter button to take the 5 bracketed photos. Today took photos all over one real estate and when landed I only had two sets of bracketed photos (10 photos). Change the batteries and took the photos with pushing the shutter button on iPad and it seemed to work for me. The shutter sound is no guarantee that it takes photos.

This needs more investigating.
2018-9-18
Use props
gersphoto.orange
Second Officer
France

Sorry for my english but when are you taking pictures are you watching these with the DJI GO4 app? If so, I think the images are still locked in play in DJI GO. Try to make a series without viewing them with DJI GO to see if there is missing after.
2018-9-18
Use props
Lupe
lvl.3
Denmark

gersphoto.orange Posted at 2018-9-18 06:10
Sorry for my english but when are you taking pictures are you watching these with the DJI GO4 app? If so, I think the images are still locked in play in DJI GO. Try to make a series without viewing them with DJI GO to see if there is missing after.

When taking the memory card from Inspire 2 it's still missing the images. If that's what you mean.
2018-9-18
Use props
DaBone
lvl.4

Sweden

I have this problem too. That I do is dubbel tap on focus and then one tap on the trigger. Both time the focus lock.. If I don´t do it twice, the circle around the trigger don´t show up and no pictures are saved.
2018-9-18
Use props
Lupe
lvl.3
Denmark

I don't know if this is related but when I tested yesterday with Dji 15mm it focused with one tap on the screen. And I have only had the problems occur with Olympus 25mm. Do others have the double tap focusing problem with stock 15mm?

Edit: Answering this myself that no. Other gig with the 25mm seemed to work just fine. This is a random problem.

2018-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules