Computer Specs for 4k editing?
3291 5 2017-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans426e3c06
New

United States

Hello!

I want to get into video editing (Adobe Premiere CC) and am only doing this as a hobby, so I don't need top tier spec/equipment. I plan to make drone videos (DJI Mavic Pro & DJI Osmo gimbal) in 4k resolution and want to post them on youtube. I am a complete newbie when it comes to computers, but would like to build my own PC; my price cutoff is $2000 for a custom built desktop + good ~20" monitor (again, I'm only a hobbyist so I don't need the best or a 4k monitor)

1) Where do I even start when it comes to building my own computer? Is it pretty easy for anyone to build one?
2) What specs/parts do I need to run Adobe Premiere & edit 4k footage?
3) What's a good monitor thats around 20" that provides me sharp & accurate colors  (doesn't have to be 4k resolution)?

Thanks!!

2017-5-9
Use props
PatientPlaya
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512260 ft
Canada

Well I use an MSI 17" laptop I7 processor with 2 external monitors...bought it 2 years ago and I have no problem editing 4k video at all. I think the main things you want is a good processor, dedicated video card and a solid state drive (for installing the app to) you can still store your video on a regular HD.
Anyways my laptop was only 1400 canadian which is almost free in American dollars
2017-5-9
Use props
PatientPlaya
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512260 ft
Canada

Look at gaming computers. They are built for speed and graphics... they will have everything you need to edit video with ease. And get a bigger monitor... 20" is too small.
2017-5-9
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Got a i7 6700 (4 core @ 4.5) and it can do 4k video, the newer kabylake is probably the way to go, but limited to windows 10. Adobe premiere, you're going to want at least 5 cores. Encoding it's about 60 to 70% efficient with 6 cores. Your spending the money anyway, so might as well go that route.

I have a i7 6800 as my own personal rig on a asrock taichi and it really does well (oc'd to 4.2 with an adaptive overclock so it's in low power when not being used or desktop. 32gb [quad] of corsair 3000 ddr4 running at 2400 1t command rate and tighted the timings as low as they'd go, 1.31v). You might want to consider a 4k monitor for editing also, you can see a lot. Like when watch videos in this forum even. Can see exactly what's wrong in 4k, every pixel as it's not scaled. Video card in both is the radeon rx 480 8gb. But any way you go, I wouldn't go lower than the 6700 or newer kabylake.

Black friday is the best time to build, but can find deals sometimes on ebay for parts. Check reddit, monitors is a personal thing. I never recommend monitors cause everyone is so different on that end. It's all down to budget there and what your willing to accept (stuck pixels etc..)
2017-5-9
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I do like my Samsung 27" curved monitor.
2017-5-9
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

There are lots of recent YouTube videos on people building their own 4K video editing PC's.  Most of them give a good list of the components they have put in.  Many of them seem to incorporate an i7 6800 processor, NVidia GTX 1080 graphics card, one or two SSD drives, lots of RAM, liquid cooling, and plenty of SATA storage.  Good starting point for you to wrap your head around what you may or may not be able to afford.  The aim, of course is to handle 4K rendering in a reasonable amount of time so the editing doesn't feel like a laborious chore.
2017-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules