Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
repetitive flight path?
5260 12 2017-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5bc3696d
lvl.1

United States

Hello all....  I know about tap to fly but I am doing a job that I want to make a video and use the exact same flight path. It's a 15 month construction project and I am filming twice a week and I want to develop a 'time lapse' video by flying the exact same path everytime I film. Can the Phantom 4 be programed to do that?

THX!

2017-5-10
Use props
Watchtower Drone Company
lvl.1

United States

smury101 Posted at 2017-11-17 11:12
Hi DM, I have just come across your query here, and curious to know if you found a solution? I am currently a hobby drone operator and work in the UK Construction industry. I have been considering your idea for quite a while as I can envisage and excellent end product if done correctly, but believe it would have to be an almost identical flight path each time in order for this to work. If you could let me know anything you found out that would be great. I will probably take the plunge and go commercial anyway, however any advice you may have on a drone with correct capabilities etc would be much appreciated. I will enevitably buy a Phantom 4, unless the 5 springs on us in the next few months!

waypoint software. There are probably a few different one in the UK.
2018-2-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Watchtower  Dro Posted at 2017-5-10 20:32
can you elaborate on that reply?        Does that mean yes or are  you saying I need different software or an add on module for my Phantom 4?  I don't know what Litchi is....  Thx!

Search the App Store of your choice, for the Litchi app.

RedHotPoker
2017-11-17
Use props
smury101

United Kingdom

Hi DM, I have just come across your query here, and curious to know if you found a solution? I am currently a hobby drone operator and work in the UK Construction industry. I have been considering your idea for quite a while as I can envisage and excellent end product if done correctly, but believe it would have to be an almost identical flight path each time in order for this to work. If you could let me know anything you found out that would be great. I will probably take the plunge and go commercial anyway, however any advice you may have on a drone with correct capabilities etc would be much appreciated. I will enevitably buy a Phantom 4, unless the 5 springs on us in the next few months!
2017-11-17
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

can you elaborate on that reply?        Does that mean yes or are  you saying I need different software or an add on module for my Phantom 4?  I don't know what Litchi is....  Thx!

Litchi is another app for flying that loads on your IOS/Android device...   It costs around $24 US.  It has a good saved waypoint flight interface.
2017-5-16
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha DW,

If you have an Apple device for DJI GO 4, you can download the free Ground Station Pro from DJI.  It is not available for Android devices yet.  The waypoints function in Ground Station Pro is much better than in DJI GO 4.  Ground Station Pro is a industry grade flight and data program by DJI.

https://flylitchi.com/ is the web site for Litchi.  Litchi is a third party software substitute for DJI GO 4.  The waypoints function can be programmed in a desktop computer and used in the field.  But, you have to watch out for the set altitudes.  Many users have had problems not confirming altitudes and either narrowly missed or actually hit obstacles.  Litchi is not expensive and is quite capable.  It is worth a look.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-16
Use props
Watchtower Dro
lvl.1

United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-5-11 02:47
Aloha DW,

You will quickly, or may have already learned that there are a great many ways to do what you want to do.  And they will all work admirably well.  But, for a 15 month project with strict requirements like a time lapse video, you will have to take extra precautions.  The most important one is to freeze your equipment into a 15 month state of no outside interference.  You have to dedicate that bird, and its system, to that project.

I wish I was in that financial position to pick up another drone and may be soon, but not yet. This time lapse is not required but they want the progress videos on the same path. The total project time lapse is going to be a surprise at the end of the project for them.   

Thanks for the good feedback, I'll probably use that info down the road.

Mahalo!

DW
2017-5-16
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nevermind...  I looked it up. I'll check it out.... Thank you very much!

DW

Aloha DW,

You will quickly, or may have already learned that there are a great many ways to do what you want to do.  And they will all work admirably well.  But, for a 15 month project with strict requirements like a time lapse video, you will have to take extra precautions.  The most important one is to freeze your equipment into a 15 month state of no outside interference.  You have to dedicate that bird, and its system, to that project.

Get your P4 into a very stable state with firmware and the DJI Go 4 app very stable.  Run the waypoints mission (from whatever program you choose) repeatedly and look at the recordings to see if the result matches your expectations with a short video.  Once you have gotten your program together, dedicate your P4 to the task and do not use it for any other effort.  And stick to it.  

Sometimes, updating the firmware or the DJI GO 4 app erases previous waypoints missions.  This can be your fault and sometimes it is DJI's fault, but you do not want it to happen at seven months into the project!   If you do not make any changes to your P4 system, it will perform the way you need it to for the 15 months.  You have to dedicate the device, the remote controller and the Phantom to the job and not allow any other job or use.  

Get a back-up Phantom if you have other needs for an aerial camera.  But you will have to get a new Android or iOS device to go along with it.  Maybe you should buy a P3P for the job to cut your expenses if you still want to fly and shoot video unrelated to the construction project.  The P3P is an excellent platform for such a job.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-11
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-10 20:22
You need to look into Litchi and their waypoint function.

https://flylitchi.com/help#waypoints-p3
2017-5-11
Use props
Watchtower Dro
lvl.1

United States

Nevermind...  I looked it up. I'll check it out.... Thank you very much!

DW
2017-5-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

If you're using an iOS, you could use the Ground Station Pro app.
2017-5-10
Use props
Watchtower Dro
lvl.1

United States

2017-5-10
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You need to look into Litchi and their waypoint function.
2017-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules