Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does elevation count as distance travelled?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ghettoracer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1214482 ft
United States

If you go up vertial 1000 feet and didn't travel much horizontally lets say ust 10 feet does DJI record the vertical distances as part of "distance" travelled?  Ie, will it record total distance travelled as 10 feet for this session or is it 1010 feet?
2017-5-11
Use props
Trailblazer5715
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1821880 ft
United States

I think it is only the horizontal distance captured by the change in GPS coordinates. Someone else may confirm this.
2017-5-11
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Or maybe it records the length of the flight path?  In this example we could assume a diagonal line, the hypotenuse of a triangle joining 10ft horizontal with 1000ft vertical, giving 1000.05 feet.

I replayed the first few seconds after takeoff of a recent flight record in the Go app.  I climbed to 2m and moved about 1.5m away from the home point.  It showed the Flight Distance having recorded 2.5m.
Using the formula a² + b² = c² to determine the length of the hypotenuse:
Pythagoras' Theorem: "In a right angled triangle, the area of the square on the hypotenuse equals the sum of the squares on the other two sides."

2² + 1.5² = c²
c² = 6.25
c = √6.25
c = 2.5

Therefore it appears it is measuring the length of the flight track, not the distance or height.  These measurements will be derived from the inbuilt accelerometer, not the GPS as the height in particular is not reliably accurate.
2017-5-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

It's horizontal distance.  Vertical distance is ignored.  And yes, I believe it's the total horizontal distance travelled.  Distance from home point is not involved in the calculation.  
2017-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules