P2V+ V3 too close to tree crash - fix options??
1470 11 2015-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
applekiller
lvl.3
Flight distance : 138458 ft
Canada

Hi all,

Well it happened after about 20 some flights no issues.... Lost perspective, thought I was clearing a tree top... Didn't make it.
Contact made, one prop snapped... Seemed to loose power and dropped about 60 ft to the ground.  Total pilot error.   Here is my question what's the best way to fix ?  Send in to dji ? Or fix myself?    Gimbal and camera seems undamaged ( video seems fine, arabization working, tilt working).   One arm is visably bent and the motor bearing clearly damaged.. Other three motors seem fine.   Battery was ejected on impact, no visible sign of damage (but very suspect after crash).  Think I need
- new shell  aprox 70$
- new ESC x 4. 23$ each
- new motor 25$
- I have two batteries so not sure if crash battery is toast or not ... I know how unstable lipo can be after trauma

Thoughts???

It would cost 80$ just to send back to dji

Kris
2015-3-7
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

I would say new shell and motor. Is the $80.00 the total cost to have DJI fix it or cost plus parts?
2015-3-7
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

As you say, sending back to DJI is not cheap and will take over a month, but they might repair it for free, although there is no guarantee of that. So a bit of a gamble.
Do you have a local dealer that offers repairs ?
You probably only need the ESC for the damaged motor, although as you need to replace the shell you might as well play safe and replace all 4 ESC's.
Hope you get it back in the air soon.

2015-3-7
Use props
applekiller
lvl.3
Canada

tonyray955 Posted at 2015-3-8 08:29
I would say new shell and motor. Is the $80.00 the total cost to have DJI fix it or cost plus parts?

80$ is just my shipping costs
2015-3-7
Use props
applekiller
lvl.3
Canada

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-3-8 08:32
As you say, sending back to DJI is not cheap and will take over a month, but they might repair it fo ...

Hi John.... Hhhhmh maybe I might try my luck sending it back.... I do have a local dji authorized repair center.. Will give them a shout too... So depressing.. Totally my dumbass mistake
2015-3-7
Use props
CryoEng
lvl.2
United States

My arabization has never worked...???
2015-3-7
Use props
applekiller
lvl.3
Canada

CryoEng Posted at 2015-3-8 09:03
My arabization has never worked...???

Sorry stabilization
2015-3-7
Use props
applekiller
lvl.3
Canada

Hi ,

Anyone have experience sending a a similar crash back to dji?   Time to return ? Cost ?

Appreciate  the feedback!

Kris
2015-3-8
Use props
na5n
lvl.4
United States

applekiller Posted at 2015-3-9 05:38
Hi ,

Anyone have experience sending a a similar crash back to dji?   Time to return ? Cost ?

Do you have a soldering iron or ever soldered before?  Do you have the gumption to attempt your own repair?  Replacing a motor and the associated ESC (if damaged) is not really that hard with just a touch of mechanical ability.  You could order an ESC, motor, and set of props and have them in a few days and back in the air a day or two after that.

Quite a few of us have replaced or repaired our own ESCs.  Plenty of help if you need it.

Paul
2015-3-8
Use props
applekiller
lvl.3
Canada

Hi Paul,

I have done some soldering before..  More worried about transferring everything to a new shell and still having it work ...  If it was just the ESC'S and motor I don't think I would think twice...   Looking inside I can see that the WiFi module has a dent in it (took a good hit it seems) although still working.    Also the gimbal plate is bent (not a biggie to bend back I would guess).   Not sure how easy it is to transfer everything to a new shell (likely hood of success? )...   I do have some tech skills

Kris
2015-3-8
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

applekiller Posted at 2015-3-9 06:51
Hi Paul,

I have done some soldering before..  More worried about transferring everything to a new s ...

It's not really that hard to transfer the guts to a new shell. I managed to do it and solder on 4 new ESCs/motors. Although, it does take longer than you'd expect.
2015-3-9
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

Nothing wrong by sending it to DJI except, it will take quite a while. If you are handy with transferring to a new shell, soldering, ect, you can do it yourself. If not, like some have said, send it to a repair facility close to you. Here in the southern USA, UAV Direct in Liberty Hill Texas is great to deal with. Most of the facilities that repair them are pretty eager to help you & will do a good job.
Good luck.
2015-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules