Mavic's RTH button is useless when windy!! My new drone is killed !!
14173 229 2017-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans41561333
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102507 ft
Singapore

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-7-12 12:11
It's not dji's fault, it's your for flying the mavic out to far after just buying it. If you had flown short flights in different conditions you would have known that in high winds you need to switch to sport mode.

ok. thanks.
2017-11-5
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

CharlieFliesDro Posted at 2017-7-12 12:12
What i don't understand Is....
  Did you know that there were Sever winds day when you took off.?
did the controller advise you of a sever wind condition.?

thanks. I crashed my 2nd drone in Quebec and still not luck to get it back though. : )
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

Towlie Posted at 2017-7-12 12:13
I had the same issue once flying in a windy area.  I thought I had sport mode engaged.  I turned the drone around and flew it towards me but noticed it was still going backwards.  Thank goodness I was able to bring the drone lower and get it back to the home point.

Only later did I find out that the sport button was disabled by default.  You have to go into the DJI 4 app and enable it before the switch works.

I still need to have more practice with sport mode. thanks.
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

simsurf Posted at 2017-7-13 18:10
I never rely on automated features like RTH. Always take off, land fly home manually. I have previously flown my old Phantom 2 in over 30 knots of wind...

yeah. i shouldn't lazy to get familiar with sport mode and manual flying back to home position in different conditions.
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

simsurf Posted at 2017-7-13 18:10
I never rely on automated features like RTH. Always take off, land fly home manually. I have previously flown my old Phantom 2 in over 30 knots of wind...

yeah. i shouldn't lazy to get familiar with sport mode and manual flying back to home position in different conditions.
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

cristianc Posted at 2017-7-13 22:56
Same here, I like flying it back myself and haven't even used RTH at all.

good habit i think.
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

MikeQView Posted at 2017-7-14 14:49
Strange how this hobby evolves !  a few years back, this  scenario was so unlikely to ever happen,   as a drone pilot would have come up through the ranks, by way of learning and building the machine,  so from day one the pilot would be very aware,  of its capabilities, and performance capability.  typically the new pilot would have sought advice and training to fly his /her model, starting by learning to hover in atti type mode,  then would have progressed to learn nose in flying, all with in about 50 meters,   then the pilot would have learnt circuits  etc etc over many weeks.     these days drone manufacturers build turn key drones, to make flying a drone easier.  So  a guy sees a drone on the internet and orders one,  postal service drops it to his door,  the new pilot charges the battery,  and goes off and flies well over a 1000mtrs on the first few flights !   the pilot has absolutely no idea of what is happening or why its happening !   with a likely outcome that it may crash.      authorities then see this and say drone flying is dangerous.   this makes this whole thing ridiculous !    route cause analysis would show that the fault here is THE SERIOUS LACK OF TRAINING !    i am sorry but i am starting to think its wrong to sell, turn key drones, in the current way!        the guy with this issue didnt have a clue,  just as bad, he wasnt aware that he needed to know anything !   and dissappointingly he still doesnt know much,   so where does the fault really start?    companies who sell turn key drones, really ought to lock the drone into 50mtr radius circle,  until the pilot has undertaken x number of flights,  and sat through  a comprehensive flight training video,  before having the drone unlocked, or at least something !  if the outcome even though very unlikely was a fatality,  and this went to court,  who could argue what ? who would have the best case of due diligence ?  i am not siding with the pilot or DJI ,   i am just raising this,  because its so easy for all us long time served pilots to knock this pilot for what he has done here,    i have tried to think of putting myself into a hobby where i didnt have a clue and think if i could get myself in a similar predicament,  like jet sking,  jet boat or something ???  my natural want to understand would lead me to research and do more research before applying the throttle for the first time.   i dont the know the full answer to this without breaking it down and understanding , i do know its sad though !

logical advice. thanks.
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

simsurf Posted at 2017-7-16 01:10
When I bought my mavic or started in beginner mode?

good option. : )
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

Flying_Aquila Posted at 2017-7-16 01:20
hello , i'm new ! this seems scary, so what do you do when it's windy? i'd like to know cause i want to buy my first drone ! thank you !

just buy and fly a bit more in safe environment first. just try to control not to get over excited and greedy when trying to capture good memories.
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-16 01:44
If the wind speed against the mavic is the same as it's default speed it's not going to get far as it's being pushed back by its equal wind speed etc (remember it's quite a light craft so strong wind flying isn't ideal if far away), if the wind is very strong go higher if needed so you can see it better, and engage sport mode, this will allow it to go faster and get through the headwind better, it uses more battery but will get it moving faster towards home for example and not just go through battery struggling & sat fighting headwind.
There are other variables to consider also
When it gets to 30% low bat warning are you too far away to get back safely ?

thanks for kind advice.
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

MikeQView Posted at 2017-7-18 03:43
i can only answer this by "learn to fly" . if you can try to link up with some time served guys in your area, you will learn far more, and more quickly than just about any other method,   if you have no option but to fly/learn alone,   read up on as much as you possibly can before your first flight,  go through the mavic manual at least three times,  watch as many flight training videos as possible, before you commit your own flying machine to the air,   write check lists for everything,   including preflight checks,  then when you are ready,  ONLY fly in an open environment free from people for at least the first few flights,  and do everything you can to keep it closer than 75mtrs away,   dont think check lists are for pussies,  its a well known fact that new pilots will loose at least 50% of their brains ability straight after takeoff, fact !    so plan what you are gonna do,   and if it does anything other than you expect land and assess what happened, and why.    hope that helps just a little bit.

thanks. it helps.
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-7-18 03:58
FYI, if you hold the right stick forward while in RTH the mavic will do over 30.

thanks for useful tip.
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

yoyolut Posted at 2017-7-18 05:51
Hi MikeQView,

You are not right, People are free, healthy, and smart, so you can't create sytem, law or anythings else to  prevent some people (A few part in fact) to be stupid !  I

logical .  : )
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

JforceZim Posted at 2017-7-18 09:56
Just started with my Mavic, and I'm very much a beginner,  but I have to say that it is a bit concerning though that OP seems to have had no clue or just chose to ignore the UK regulations on flying a drone. At 1.2km could you see the drone?

can't see it even before 1km.
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

ShadyDealer Posted at 2017-7-18 10:29
If its that windy, why fly? Seems idiotic to me...

i flied in windy Miami beach 2 weeks ago with my 3rd Mavic. just experience counts. : )
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-18 15:30
Not going to bust the OP's chops because he is already suffering the loss of his Mavic.  This won't replace your drone but keep it in mind for future flights should you acquire another.  RTH speed is 22 mph.  If you are heading directly into a stout wind your progress will be less.  If the wind is strong enough you will go nowhere...maybe even backwards!  I've been in that situation & what you have to do is take control & fly back manually.  Sometimes you can reduce altitude where winds are less.  On a Mavic you can switch to Sport Mode which gives you 40 mph potential headway.  If winds are over 40 mph then you picked a bad day to fly.  When flying in wind ALWAYS start your flight INT0 THE WIND so you won't have to fight it on the way home.  This gives you a nice battery cushion when heading home.  Sorry for your loss.

thanks for very complete advice.
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

Dr-G Posted at 2017-7-18 16:44
...and over water at that! {:4_177:}

I have had mine for 3 days just took her for her first flight and no way in hell I would go that far (Not in beginner mode) and over water and with high wind.

yeah. i shouldn't go that far in wind.
2017-11-6
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

fans41561333 Posted at 2017-11-6 00:34
yeah. i shouldn't go that far in wind.

You're on your third Mavic?
2017-11-6
Use props
fans41561333
lvl.2
Singapore

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-11-6 09:41
You're on your third Mavic?

yes, i crashed my 2nd drone in Quebec. It crashed into the wall right in front of me which is about 10 feet high. My tour bus leaving in 15 mins and I didn't get time to go to search it. Then, I bought 3rd one in Miami.
2017-11-6
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

fans41561333 Posted at 2017-11-6 15:06
yes, i crashed my 2nd drone in Quebec. It crashed into the wall right in front of me which is about 10 feet high. My tour bus leaving in 15 mins and I didn't get time to go to search it. Then, I bought 3rd one in Miami.

Good lord. I honestly think there should a legal limit imposed on how many times you can buy a drone after you total several of them from pilot error. Your flying is clearly a jeopardy to life and property. This is how people start to crash drones and then it will kill or severely injure them and only impose further restrictions on people who fly responsibly.

No offense to OP, but if you can't fly it, you shouldn't be able to buy it.
2017-11-6
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 339888 ft
Canada

I really recommend you to spend on to get the RealFlight Flight Simulator and practice your self on flying in windy condition and basic maneuvers   
2017-11-11
Use props
sorka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 782582 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-5-11 18:51
A lot of people underestimate the power of the wind and wind gust. You should never fly before you check your wind speed, wind direction, wind gust. From 10' to 200' it is a difference between dyas and night when it comes to  wind conditions.

Sorry for your loss but unfortunately you learned an expensive lesson. Flying drone is like flying an airplane. You do all your checks before and after you flight.

And how exactly do you check the wind speed without manual ATTI?????
2017-11-11
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

sorka Posted at 2017-11-11 18:23
And how exactly do you check the wind speed without manual ATTI?????

You should NOT fly a drone man if you are asking this question. You use an APP.

I use UAV FORECAST. It is free and I NEVER fly before checking the wind speed, gust, and direction.
2017-11-11
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have to agree this is a rookie mistake, unfortunately an expensive mistake. Too much wind and not enough pilot skills.
2017-11-12
Use props
Vannibombonato
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325778 ft
Italy

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-12 06:47
I want DJI to answer why the drone is not smart enough to adapt and keep the return home direction correctly when windy.

I think the short answer to this question is that determining the best speed and direction is a very complicated problem to solve. And DJI probably isn't anxious to get into the business of creating a complex RTH algorithm that could arguably get them into even more trouble when / if it failed to produce the desired results.

The problem is you, not DJI.

You did not follow procedures which are clearly explained in the manual, you did not take the time to study and learn something in places like this forum, you basically suicided your drone and now are whining on DJI. You are no different than someone whining on DJI because the drone is not able to land on water.

This is like someone complaining with Ferrari because nobody told him that their new car can’t make 90 degrees turn at 200mph.

Stop whining, this is 100% your fault.
2017-11-12
Use props
SadMavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91132 ft
United States

Just curious as to why the Mavic won't go faster on a RTH maneuver if it encounters resistance such as wind?  Is there a reason for this?  Yes the suggestion to put in sport mode is valid for increased speed against the wind but shouldn't the drone adjust its speed automatically up to maximum thrust to counteract the wind resistance in order to keep its flight path and make it home?  
2017-11-12
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

AEM74 Posted at 2017-11-6 22:06
Good lord. I honestly think there should a legal limit imposed on how many times you can buy a drone after you total several of them from pilot error. Your flying is clearly a jeopardy to life and property. This is how people start to crash drones and then it will kill or severely injure them and only impose further restrictions on people who fly responsibly.

No offense to OP, but if you can't fly it, you shouldn't be able to buy it.

I don't agree with this but after I lost the first drone I would have certainly spent some time practicing before flying the second in unfamiliar territory
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

SadMavic Posted at 2017-11-12 08:04
Just curious as to why the Mavic won't go faster on a RTH maneuver if it encounters resistance such as wind?  Is there a reason for this?  Yes the suggestion to put in sport mode is valid for increased speed against the wind but shouldn't the drone adjust its speed automatically up to maximum thrust to counteract the wind resistance in order to keep its flight path and make it home?

If it went faster then obstacle avoidance (OA) wouldn't be able to prevent it from crashing into obstacles on the return trip; it already goes as fast as it can for OA to still working during the flight.
2017-11-12
Use props
SadMavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91132 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-12 11:12
If it went faster then obstacle avoidance (OA) wouldn't be able to prevent it from crashing into obstacles on the return trip; it already goes as fast as it can for OA to still working during the flight.

That's not true.  The drone isn't going fast at all due to wind resistance.  The drone knows how fast its going using its gps speedometer.  That's why it shows a slower speed when flying into the wind.    The drone should try to maintain a certain speed, lets say 10mph, regardless of the wind resistance by using all available power up to its maximum motor rpm. Speed is speed, if the Mavic (assuming 40mph top speed) is at full power running into a 30mph headwind then its net speed will be roughly 10mph which is more than adequate for OA is it not?  By your logic they don't allow it to increase rpms to compensate because the OA won't work and the drone could crash. Well if the drone doesn't return home it WILL crash, so which is worse?
2017-11-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

SadMavic Posted at 2017-11-12 13:54
That's not true.  The drone isn't going fast at all due to wind resistance.  The drone knows how fast its going using its gps speedometer.  That's why it shows a slower speed when flying into the wind.    The drone should try to maintain a certain speed, lets say 10mph, regardless of the wind resistance by using all available power up to its maximum motor rpm. Speed is speed, if the drone is at full power running into a 30mph headwind then its net speed will be 10mph which is adequate for OA.  By your logic they don't allow it to increase rpms to compensate because the OA won't work and the drone could crash. Well if the drone doesn't return home it WILL crash, so which is worse?

Speed is speed

No, it isn't. You're either confusing -- or don't understand the difference between -- air speed and ground speed, or maybe you don't understand the relationship between speed and attitude. Yes, the Mavic can be traveling quite slow (or even backwards) in terms of its ground speed, but its RTH air speed will still be the maximum at which OA can function. However, I would guess -- in fact, I'm very certain -- that the horizontal / side OA sensor can only work properly within a certain range of attitudes.

To better understand this, think of what would happen if the Mavic were facing straight down towards the ground (i.e., pitch of -90). There'd be no way for it to detect obstacles horizontally in front of the aircraft unless it had a sensor on top, and that same principle applies to much less extreme (and more realistic) attitudes. In other words, it's the air speed / attitude -- and not ground speed -- that limits how fast the aircraft can travel and still have OA be operational, because the sensor can't function properly if it isn't pointing more or less in the direction of travel.

Well if the drone doesn't return home it WILL crash, so which is worse?

As far as whether it's better to sacrifice OA, I suppose that's debatable, but in practice one shouldn't be flying in winds high enough for it to matter anyway, and there's also the problem of higher speeds using more power and shortening flight time. So yes, everything is a tradeoff, but the approach DJI has chosen seems reasonable me, and I suspect that people will criticize and complain about it -- and lose their drones -- regardless of which approach DJI uses.

P.S. You can, of course, always suggest to DJI that they change this behavior, but I'm very certain that the possibility of using higher speeds for RTH did occur to them prior to your suggestion.

2017-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules