Mavic Pro Lost after losing connection.
6999 17 2017-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1444fcab
New
Flight distance : 20476 ft
United States

So today while flying my mavic pro it lost connection and disappeared. It was a clear afternoon with little to no wind at all. The take off location was my uncles yard on the side of a big hill with a clear view of the area and I used the precise return to home location upon taking off. The drone was less than 1/4 of a mile from me and just out of sight for me. (It's hard to see something that small from that far away for me) I was flying with my buddy who also has a mavic pro and is much more experienced with it than myself. Both of our drones were in the same area and when mine lost connection he immediately returns his to home to assist me with mine. Within 1-2 minutes his has landed and we still don't see mine and haven't reconnected either. Since we were flying along the road going to my uncles house we decided to get in the vehicle and drive to the last location of mine. It was directly above a smaller patch of trees less than 50 yards off the road but after 2-3 hours of searching we still cannot find it. The drone should have returned home when it couldn't reconnect signal but is nowhere to be found. Now I guess I'm at the mercy of DJI and their "customer support". It's frustrating to pay over $1000 for something and it not work correctly. First losing connection when his was clearly working fine and then never returning to home. Idk what I'm supposed to do now.  Here's a link to the flight log as well:

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=fouNTv
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=fouNTv
2017-5-11
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine dropped out of the sky last week for a broken prop, but I was able to locate it using the find my drone It gave me the coordinates and I was able to walked right up to it and luckily it landed on a bush(got a help from an Angel)
2017-5-11
Use props
fans1444fcab
New
United States

I tried the find my drone also but it unfortunately was nowhere to be found. I've pretty much abandoned any hope considering DJIs customer support and am chalking it up to either alien abduction or a predatory bird lol
2017-5-11
Use props
Grotto13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

DJI services have been great to me through my repair. They do care. Unfortunately with out you recovering , not much they going to be able to do. Maybe your buddy can fly his mavic around area and look in the trees or from above. Good luck
2017-5-11
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I tend to think that the reason it lost signal was because it was already in the trees. You did state that you had lost sight of it so you possibly would not have seen it going into the trees. I think it would have returned if it could. Unfortunately this is a hard lesson for you on LOS and at that distance it would have been extremely hard to see where it was going.
2017-5-11
Use props
fans1444fcab
New
United States

My take off point is the highest point in the area (way above the trees in the area it's last location was and anything else in the direction we were flying)  and the drone was 131 ft above the take off location. It is physically impossible for it to have hit a tree. I was watching the camera and had panned down to check my location to the road when the signal was lost. I could tell from the view that it was significantly higher than anything else around there. We did fly his drone all over the area to check from above with no luck as well. Had I been flying in a manner/altitude that would put it at risk then I would take full responsibility but considering my drone was a good 50 ft higher than my buddy's and his came directly back when prompted I feel that this is on them because the drone did nothing it was supposed to in the event of a signal loss. Not to mention losing signal at less than 1200 feet away from the take off point.
2017-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey man sorry to hear this. Looking at your logs nothing strange , you just lost signal, it may have been caused from where you were standing if there was interference, having said that, your craft on loosing signal should have RTH , depending on what you had set for RTH, your battery and gps were fine no problems, if it just dropped out of the sky then it should be close to last known coordinates, if not it suspiciously looks like a fly away, there have been a few reported cases of late.
You need to sync your flight to dji cloud and start an RMA, in the meantime I would go have another search . But I don't see anything that shows you did anything wrong, just check what RTH procedure you had set.
2017-5-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

It's possible that yours is a case of spontaneous power loss, and we've seen a handful of those recently. If that's what happened -- and especially if you're able to recover the aircraft -- there's a good chance that you'll get a free warranty replacement from DJI. There's some evidence to suggest that all the Mavics that experienced this problem were manufactured within a particular date range, so can you enter your Mavic's serial number here and let us know what date is returned?

If it is a case of spontaneous power loss, it's highly likely that your Mavic is now sitting somewhere very close to its last known location, perhaps in a tree. I know you said that you and your friend looked for several hours, but if you haven't already you might have him use his Mavic to carefully fly over the area, as things are sometimes easier to spot from the air. Your last reported coordinates were 35.639913, -85.173411, so be sure to start your search as close to that location as possible and move outward from there. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

2017-5-12
Use props
fans1444fcab
New
United States

Yes flying along the road. We have checked the area with his drone, looked in the trees, continued down the direction it was flying, and even seriously considered it a bird strike. I will continue my search after work today as well hopefully I can find it. My RTH setting shouldn't matter considering my drone was around 140 feet above my take off point which is significantly higher than the last know location. I started a thread on mavicpilots and they're checking my flight logs for me.
2017-5-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fans1444fcab Posted at 2017-5-12 12:12
Yes flying along the road. We have checked the area with his drone, looked in the trees, continued down the direction it was flying, and even seriously considered it a bird strike. I will continue my search after work today as well hopefully I can find it. My RTH setting shouldn't matter considering my drone was around 140 feet above my take off point which is significantly higher than the last know location. I started a thread on mavicpilots and they're checking my flight logs for me.

We . . . even seriously considered it a bird strike

That's a possibility but I'd guess that's probably not what happened.

I started a thread on mavicpilots and they're checking my flight logs for me.

Yes, I see it now and I notice that you said you didn't change any settings other than to disable beginner mode. However, I also saw that the flight log shows that you were flying in P-mode with a forward speed of about 31 MPH, which is indicative of having OA disabled.

It's possible that this is a case of disconnect / RTH as proposed in that other thread, but I'd encourage you not to rule out the power loss scenario. It appears that your Mavic was last seen heading southeast at 31 MPH, so I'd start at the coordinates I mentioned earlier and look first in the area (including trees) southeast of that location when you continue the search.
2017-5-12
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Battery was freezing according to airdata.
2017-5-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Looks like the OP found it and provided an update in the other thread he started. It was "about 75 yards or so further down the flight path from where it's last shown location was". Apparently it didn't initiate RTH but instead lost power and fell from the sky.
2017-5-12
Use props
fans1444fcab
New
United States

Thanks DroneFlying! Yes I thankfully found it! We've had a decent amount of rain in the last 24 hours so it's currently in a bag of rice drying out. The battery was about 10 feet from the drone and still shows 3 bars of life left. It appears the bird scenario may be plausible. Surprisingly nothing appears to be broken from a visual perspective. Thank you for your help!!!
Hippoz do you mean temperature freezing or like a sporadic signal freezing?
2017-5-12
Use props
fans1444fcab
New
United States

Jenee 2- back to your original comment. I agree LOS (I'm assuming you mean line of sight here) should be taken into consideration as far as obstructions go but I seriously doubt anyone can see a mavic pro anywhere near its range capability. I already have a drone to fly around my yard (a GoPro Karma) that has excellent video quality. I bought the mavic pro based mostly on the range and flight time and so I can't fly out to ranges far beyond my current drone. Keeping my mavic where I could see it would be like keeping a race horse in the barn. Lol
2017-5-12
Use props
fans1444fcab
New
United States

*so I CAN fly out to ranges farther than my current drone.  Autocorrect for the win there. Lol
2017-5-12
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fans1444fcab Posted at 2017-5-12 17:56
Thanks DroneFlying! Yes I thankfully found it! We've had a decent amount of rain in the last 24 hours so it's currently in a bag of rice drying out. The battery was about 10 feet from the drone and still shows 3 bars of life left. It appears the bird scenario may be plausible. Surprisingly nothing appears to be broken from a visual perspective. Thank you for your help!!!
Hippoz do you mean temperature freezing or like a sporadic signal freezing?

You're welcome. I saw a comment in the thread on MavicPilots to the effect that it's the "the only hope mavic users have" but a lot of folks here try to help and in some cases I think have offered better advice than what was provided elsewhere. Anyway, I'm glad you found your Mavic and wish you better luck in the future.
2017-5-12
Use props
fans1444fcab
New
United States

There was no disrespect meant to the users of this forum at all. It was directed towards my experience with the poor customer service of DJI. I say this because after I returned home from buying my mavic pro I activated and attempted to purchase DJI Care for it. I was given the "s/n doesn't exist" and couldn't purchase. So I called, online chat, and emailed DJI Care support and explained my situation with attempting to purchase it. I received an email response 5 days later with a link that said should have it resolved. The link took me to a sign in page that wouldn't accept my email and password. I emailed them back to let them know that didn't work and was considering returning it due to the lack of after purchase support and based on all the negative responses from everyone on their own forum and haven't heard back from them since then. That's been over 3 weeks. Don't get me wrong they seem to make great products but great products don't keep customers returning or recommending them. It's the extra effort made after they get your money that matters.
2017-5-12
Use props
djiuser_ne6lFo9gLs89
lvl.1
Flight distance : 309173 ft

Slovakia

Please help me out with this situation. Yesterday in perfect whether condition, only 194 m away from me, 112 m high, at 59% level of battery (I have 3 batterys to avoid low battery power), with RTH settings on (worked perfectly couple of times) I suddenly lost connection with the drone getting a few notifications on the controller and in 10 seconds it was gone from the screen. The video it made is some how corrupt, I can’t open it with anything. It’s very much looks like a battery failure. I can’t find it so I’m hartbroke because I was saving up for it over a year. I’m a big fan of DJI already had Phanton 2 and Phantom 3 so I’m not a beginner. I really hoping to get an appropriate support from you as I’m even even using for work and has over 2000 followers on Instagram due to my drone work.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/WN4YTGCKRYYOR5XADVL2/

Thank you

2020-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules