Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 and X5S Kit Arrived :D
1188 16 2017-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jon Dow
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi All,

So I have just passed my CAA Ground and Air training with COPTRZ up in Sheffield.  And I have just today received my Inspire 2 X5S kit with 2nd pair of batteries from them too.  All for a bargain price of just over £5,180.00.  

I also went with Moonrock Insurance and purchased their top package at about £84 per month, fully covered and 785/2004 CAA Reg compliant.  

QUESTION:  I haven't switched it on yet, other than unboxing.  When it powers off, does it automatically go into flat position for putting back in the case? Sounds like a silly question, but I've never seen one be packed away yet.  For all the searching on YouTube, there's nothing.  

Anything else I need to be aware of before updating the firmware, calibrating everything and hitting the sky?

Thanks,
Jon.

2017-5-12
Use props
JBSonic
First Officer
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

well, enjoy your investment. You should start by checking your Inspire 2.
Most Inspire 2 have faults at the moment, these are the following:

Red propellers rattle. Try putting on all the propellers, then just twist them, some of the red ones might make a rattling noise. This is because there is play between the mount and the propeller. It appears both the mount and propellers are faulty and there is no fix. This can result in vibration during flight, so strong that it can tear apart the quadcopter.

White propeller mounts are sometimes too tight and get tighter after each flight, so much so that you require a tool to force remove the propeller from it.

I personally had to send my X5S back to DJI as it had flashing pixels (white and black) in addition to loads of noise even during daylight shooting (This was during RAW 5.2K recording).
I have received a new unit but with the same issues, so have given up on that.

So yea, just make sure you check it all, you can't really fly it with the rattling props or should avoid it anyhow, it CAN cause a crash.
The camera I am sure is fine but its worth checking, seems a lot went off the rail at DJI for the Inspire 2
To answer  your question, just tap the power button 5 times in a row to make it go into or out of travel mode with either both or the left battery mounted.
2017-5-12
Use props
JBInspire
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1863438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Congratulations on your new purchase, I also got my I2 from COPTRZ.

Sure there have been some teething issues with the I2 but I don't believe its fair to say that most have faults, or at least not serious faults.

The only issue I have experienced is slightly rattling props - which only occurred after about 10 flights or so, but this has not caused any noticeable vibration or other issues. There are various workarounds reported from thin tape to thin layers of superglue to getting new props from DJI (although these don't always fix the rattling).

It is a beautiful handling machine and we recently had some fun videoing autograss racing which was fairly fast paced keeping the pilot (me) and camera operator on our toes. The I2 performed beautifully. Here is a video of the session:
2017-5-12
Use props
Henry M.Y.
First Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

JBInspire Posted at 2017-5-12 07:41

Sure there have been some teething issues with the I2 but I don't believe its fair to say that most have faults, or at least not serious faults.

Hi JBInspire,

There must be lot of fun when you were videoing the autograss racing! Those racers were really enjoying their counter-steering through the course! The liftings of inner front wheel at 1:33 and 2:11 were so much fun to enjoy, for the racers and spectators like me!

Thanks for sharing.

Henry
2017-5-12
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JBSonic Posted at 2017-5-12 05:42

Thanks for the advice.  Mine seems fine so far.  No rattling, no stif prop mounts etc.  and the camera seems great too.  I'll keep an eye on it.  It's fully insured too, as I'm about to get my CAA PfCo.  I chose Moonrock Insurance's top package.
2017-5-16
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JBInspire Posted at 2017-5-12 07:41

COR!  Nice car footage!  Thanks again for the advice too.  
2017-5-16
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here's my first video.  I drove to Shropshire, used one pair of batteries in 20mph gusts (13mph average) and drove home .

This is all shot at 1080p, 60fps, all normal other camera settings, manual ISO100, Manual 6200'K, Manual 1/160th second shutter and Manual aperture f5.0.  No camera rotations, just fly until the battery was low and get as much as I could.

2017-5-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Jon Dow Posted at 2017-5-16 07:48
Here's my first video.  I drove to Shropshire, used one pair of batteries in 20mph gusts (13mph average) and drove home .

This is all shot at 1080p, 60fps, all normal other camera settings, manual ISO100, Manual 6200'K, Manual 1/160th second shutter and Manual aperture f5.0.  No camera rotations, just fly until the battery was low and get as much as I could.

Nicely done, thanks for sharing! It's great to hear you've been enjoying it thus far. As for your question, you would have to manually command the unit back into travel mode via the app or the RC. It won't just do it on its own.
2017-5-16
Use props
allanart
First Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There is an alternative method of Power Down - which does finish with the INSPIRE-2 in Transit Mode:
1. Land the aircraft (with the gear down!)
2. Tap the Power Button 5 times  - the aircraft "beeps", the gimbal goes limp, and the motors are disabled.
3. Remove the gimbal - the aircraft transitions to Transit Mode and powers-down.
Job done!
Hope this helps..
Allan
2017-5-16
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks folks.  I figured out that tapping the power button 5 times switches it between travel and ready positions. So that's solved
2017-5-19
Use props
JoePGM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 391293 ft
United Kingdom

Jon Dow Posted at 2017-5-16 07:41
Thanks for the advice.  Mine seems fine so far.  No rattling, no stif prop mounts etc.  and the camera seems great too.  I'll keep an eye on it.  It's fully insured too, as I'm about to get my CAA PfCo.  I chose Moonrock Insurance's top package.

" It's fully insured too, as I'm about to get my CAA PfCo"

Hi Jon, so the Moonrock don't need a PfCO license to purchase their drone insurance, instead a pilot training will do?

What kind of pilot training/ certificate they needed?
2017-5-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Jon Dow Posted at 2017-5-19 16:13
Thanks folks.  I figured out that tapping the power button 5 times switches it between travel and ready positions. So that's solved

Good to hear.
2017-5-23
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JoePGM Posted at 2017-5-22 12:09
" It's fully insured too, as I'm about to get my CAA PfCo"

Hi Jon, so the Moonrock don't need a PfCO license to purchase their drone insurance, instead a pilot training will do?

Hi, regarding Moonrock Insurance.  The industry now allows people to insure as a professional on the proviso that they are simply waiting for their PfCo CAA Permissions papers to come through.  Insurance can be purchased whilst on the PfCo course, as a training week for £55 ish.  Then after that, they take off the £55 from the annual 1st year, which cost me £1001 all together, for the top package. You will still need to take part in a CAA Permissions course in the UK.  I did it with Coptrz at a cost of £1200.
2017-6-1
Use props
JoePGM
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Jon Dow Posted at 2017-6-1 06:30
Hi, regarding Moonrock Insurance.  The industry now allows people to insure as a professional on the proviso that they are simply waiting for their PfCo CAA Permissions papers to come through.  Insurance can be purchased whilst on the PfCo course, as a training week for £55 ish.  Then after that, they take off the £55 from the annual 1st year, which cost me £1001 all together, for the top package. You will still need to take part in a CAA Permissions course in the UK.  I did it with Coptrz at a cost of £1200.

good to know that Jon. So if I purchase the insurance during my pfco course but don't go for applying the pfco (e.g. I just finish the 2 days course but not plan for submit operation manual to CAA),  will the insurance goes invalid or  they will terminate my policy?
2017-6-1
Use props
Jon Dow
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JoePGM Posted at 2017-6-1 12:35
good to know that Jon. So if I purchase the insurance during my pfco course but don't go for applying the pfco (e.g. I just finish the 2 days course but not plan for submit operation manual to CAA),  will the insurance goes invalid or  they will terminate my policy?

Ooh I'm not sure.  You'd probably have to be registered commercial with the CAA, which about £350 the first time, after getting the PfCo, then probably justy maintain it as though you're going to do professional jobs, and I think a minimum of 2 hours per 3 months (?) to stay fresh in flight). You'd also have to log your flight info in your ops manual, even as test flights etc. But you'd need to speak to the insurance and tell them your intentions. One thing that might block you, is the fact ttthat commercial jobs have strict restrictions and require planning and notes to show all sorts (on the course). So they might consider you as a leasure flier and not give insurance. But call them and have a chat.
2017-6-1
Use props
JoePGM
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thank you Jon
2017-6-1
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

JBSonic Posted at 2017-5-12 05:42

This doesn't sound very reassuring
2017-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules