Altitude problems. Inconsistent reporting.
1257 11 2017-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

Hello, I'm having problems with the altitude not being reported properly in DJI Go 4 and my new Phantom 4. Sometimes under reporting and sometimes over reporting. Like being negative at landing or way positive at landing. I'm afraid to do much like waypoints if I can't trust the altitude. Please help.
Thanks in advance.
2017-5-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The altitude in a Phantom is measured by a barometer chip, it is subject to variations according to air pressure and temperature. There is nothing much you can do about it. If you are flying waypoints, just be ready to adjust the aircraft if it is not flying at the correct altitude.
2017-5-12
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

How big are the differences you observe?
2017-5-13
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

Bullflyer Posted at 2017-5-13 07:12
How big are the differences you observe?

15 to 25 feet. The VPS is working fine. It reports properly up to 30 feet.  Today I was hovering inches above the ground and and "H" was giving me 23 feet. Sometimes at landing it tell me negative 15 feet. I hope I don't have to send it back. IMU and compass have been calibrated and are reporting in good health.
2017-5-13
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

ocean224 Posted at 2017-5-13 09:26
15 to 25 feet. The VPS is working fine. It reports properly up to 30 feet.  Today I was hovering inches above the ground and and "H" was giving me 23 feet. Sometimes at landing it tell me negative 15 feet. I hope I don't have to send it back. IMU and compass have been calibrated and are reporting in good health.

And this happens every time you lift off the P4, or just occasionally ?
2017-5-13
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

Bullflyer Posted at 2017-5-13 12:42
And this happens every time you lift off the P4, or just occasionally ?

Every-time I lift off. I have tested with two devices Iphone 6 and ipad air2.
2017-5-13
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would reinstall the FW using the DJI assistant, replace the SD card (first) and then do IMU calibrations. I had one that was REALLY far off, and I fixed it that way.
2017-5-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

droneflyers.com Posted at 2017-5-13 15:00
I would reinstall the FW using the DJI assistant, replace the SD card (first) and then do IMU calibrations. I had one that was REALLY far off, and I fixed it that way.

Please. The SD card has nothing to do with this issue.
2017-5-13
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-13 15:36
Please. The SD card has nothing to do with this issue.

OK, what about the rest of his reply?
Thank you.
2017-5-13
Use props
ocean224
lvl.3
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2017-5-13 15:00

What exactly do you mean by "replace the SD card (first)"?
Thank you.
2017-5-15
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I've seen it differ by 16 meters at times.  Landing is rarely Take off = Zero meters, and Landing = Zero meters.  The Autopilot autonomous app running on iOS allows one to tighten the deviation from their default in their app of 16 meters down to I think it was 6 meters, not great but at least something.  They also suggest doing a pre-flight to verify and then final tune off it for waypoints where proximity may be a concern.   Don't know what DJI tolerance is in GO 4 but it might be 16 meters too.

More odd is on an outward flying leg it may be correct, but coming back it climbs in altitude by maybe 5 meters or so visibly while GO reports the same altitude as the original even though once landing GO will not be Zero meters as it should.  Then it goes out again at the original altitude so it seems direction as well, which may explain some of the odd gimbal horizons when yawing still photos around a 360 degree panorama.

I think their software needs some better tuning, and maybe use more of the on-board sensors in altitude as well for correct landing numbers.  Could be electronic thermal drift too as the unit heats up in flight and later normalizes.
2017-5-15
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

I place no value in the altitude function, let alone any of the other sensors. Fly the bird as if you are in it. LOS.  If I fly a Litchi flight I fly at LOW speed first then fly at what speed I want for that filming. CAUTION is the word. Remember, multiple takes are allowed.
2017-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules