#OSMO Pro/Raw Wired Video Adapter Review# Osmo Pro adapter review
3341 20 2017-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bobster85
lvl.2
Flight distance : 237339 ft
United States

I had the opportunity to beta test the OSMO Pro/Raw Wired Video Adapter as I am running a x5 camera.
Before I get into the review I must say if you are in the market for the Inspire 1 Pro/Raw, I highly suggest you purchase the OSMO as well. The OSMO will allow you to gain more use out of your investment rather than being only restricted to the air. With having said that, the Wired video adapter did exactly what it was designed to do.

Let's start with installation. It's easy. You plug the proprietary male plug into the front of the OSMO and a USB cable from the usb port of the adapter to the port on your phone. My first recommendation is to find 6in micro USB cable to attach your phone to the adapter. It's not a big issue but the excess cable could be a nuisance. I was able to use a short USB cable that came with my Inspire 1.

893A3624.JPG 893A3625.JPG 893A3628.JPG 893A3626.JPG 893A3627.JPG 893A3630.JPG 893A3631.JPG

Immediately I noticed once it's plugged in and powered up, your phone starts drawing power from the OSMO itself which could be an issue if you have a limited amount of batteries and on an extended shoot. For me this was not an issue as I typically use a TB48 Inspire 1 battery to power my OSMO with the External Battery Extender (http://store.dji.com/product/osmo-external-battery-extender?site=brandsite).

893A3629.JPG

Now what I love about the use of the adapter is the boot time. Hands down quicker than connecting via wifi. When you connect via wifi, you have to turn on the OSMO, wait for the wifi network to establish, wait for your phone to detect it, then wait for your phone to connect. Once that completes, you have to launch the app then wait for it connect and start transmitting the feed. This entire process usually takes :45-1:15. What's even worse is if you are already connected to a wifi network you will need to disconnect and manually connect if you do not have the OSMO network set as priority on your phone. With the wired connection, as soon as you plug in the adapter and power up the OSMO, the feed automatically starts within a few seconds of powering up. If anyone specializes in event coverage this is a game changer as you can't typically wait a minute every time you need to turn it on. Not sure if this is a common issue but I would occasionally run into an issue where the screen would be black once connected via wifi. I would then have to power the osmo down and reconnect, thus taking more time. So far the wired connection/firmware has eliminated that. HUGE PLUS!

Once powered on and transmitting I initially saw a drop in quality on my screen. It only seems to this shortly after powered up then smooth out. Maybe the USB 2.0 connection can't keep up at first? Seems like a possible bug but nothing that would affect the user experience. UPDATE: After several attempts, I have not been able to reproduce this.

Besides the decrease in load time, connection stability is so awesome. When connected via wifi, from time to time I would drop signal especially around metal structures. Very frustrating when trying to frame your shot and execute. Now that it is wired, you'll probably never drop signal again.

Now that the signal is transmitting via a wired connection, the recorded version on your phone is much more clear and even useable if something were to fail on your SD card or you want to share what you filmed to social media. I would like to see an option within the app that allows your to record to your phone at 1080p rather than 720p. Not sure if this is possible via DJI Go or if this is a limitation with the phone. Quality redundancy gives me peace of mind as I've had SD cards fail on me before.

UPDATE: I ran into the following issue with and without the adapter
Speaking of SD cards I did run into an issue that needs to be addressed. I tested the adapter using 2 different micro SD cards. A SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB and a Samsung EVO 64GB. Both recorded just fine. I was surprised to see when trying to access your recorded library, the Samsung card wouldn't load your footage. It just sat there saying loading. The SanDisk on the other hand loaded your footage for preview almost immediately.

893A3632.JPG

Again, I'm not sure if the USB 2.0 is the bottleneck here but when playing back recorded footage, you would see a quality degradation when playing. Would like to see it play back cleaner.

Overall, this is a MUST HAVE for anyone with an OSMO x5/Raw. I'm not sure what the price point will be but if it's in the same range as the battery extender, it'll be a no brainer to add to your rig.

I've had fun testing this as most of my current headaches have been eliminated by the use of this adapter.

To summarize:

Pros:
Fast boot/connection time
Clean 720p recording to your phone (would like to see 1080p if possible)
Stable streaming connection

Cons:
Phone now draws power from your OSMO battery

893A3627.JPG
893A3629.JPG
893A3630.JPG
893A3629.JPG
893A3630.JPG
893A3633.JPG
2017-5-13
Use props
fans9ec14688
lvl.1
Czechia

Where to buy OSMO Pro / Raw Wired Video Adapter ?
2017-5-13
Use props
Bobster85
lvl.2
United States

fans9ec14688 Posted at 2017-5-13 21:50
Where to buy OSMO Pro / Raw Wired Video Adapter ?

Hey man!

Right now it's in a closed beta test. They haven't announced when it will be available for purchase. Keep it an eye out though, it'll be worth it!
2017-5-14
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's in the DJI store to buy now.
2017-5-14
Use props
Geruvah
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24360 ft
United States

I thought USB 2.0 went extinct at this point. Maybe 3.0 would've caused a greater power reduction? Not sure. It sounds instantaneous enough where it's okay, though.
2017-5-14
Use props
Bobster85
lvl.2
United States

Geruvah Posted at 2017-5-14 16:33
I thought USB 2.0 went extinct at this point. Maybe 3.0 would've caused a greater power reduction? Not sure. It sounds instantaneous enough where it's okay, though.

Yeah it doesn't affect the user experience. I just know the osmo battery doesn't last very long when you have to leave it on to keep your WiFi connection. Maybe the trade off is longer battery life by no WiFi and leaving having the ability to cut it on/off as needed.
2017-5-14
Use props
Bobster85
lvl.2
United States

Advocate Posted at 2017-5-14 12:04

Well there ya go!
2017-5-14
Use props
Geruvah
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24360 ft
United States

Advocate Posted at 2017-5-14 12:04

Link? Because I'm not seeing anything.
2017-5-15
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

https://m.dji.com/product/osmo-proraw-wired-video-adapter

There you go
2017-5-15
Use props
Vanarebane
lvl.2

Estonia

Shipping cost is 1.7 times bigger than product itself (32.45€)
Interesting is it difficult to use a cheaper postal service for this type product?
2017-5-15
Use props
boogui
lvl.1
France

hi , i bought the adapter, connect it to the osmo adapter for the X5, nothing works.
2017-9-28
Use props
boogui
lvl.1
France

sorry , does the phone recognize it and ask for autorisation like usb debugging? mine only charge from this adapter... no video from dji go app
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

boogui Posted at 2017-9-28 08:05
sorry , does the phone recognize it and ask for autorisation like usb debugging? mine only charge from this adapter... no video from dji go app

Did you try to re connect the Wi Fi setting from the Osmo to the mobile device? You may want to refresh that.
2017-9-28
Use props
The Polymath
lvl.2
Flight distance : 644672 ft
United States

is anyone else getting unacceptable lag through the Wired Adapter? I bought it to eliminate (greatly reduce) the Lag associated with the WiFi connectivity from the Osmo Pro to the Display Device be it Android or iOS to make pulling focus easier and knowing when to stop vs. any necessary bounce back from overshooting, or guessing approximately where to stop.
I am seeing anywhere from 305-845 milliseconds lag from my OsmoPro, Focus2, through the wired adapter to my Nexus7 running the latest AOS and the OsmoPro running the recommended v1.4.0.70... i'm going to connect it to my I2's Crystal Sky monitor and run this test again, but so far I am very disappointed...

305ms avg

305ms avg

845ms avg

845ms avg
2017-11-27
Use props
RipHeaD
New
Norway

hello People Today I upgrade my DJI GO for ma Osmo pro I not understand why my Wired Video Adapter stop working I don't now what happen, please help.
2018-1-2
Use props
RipHeaD
New
Norway

The Polymath Posted at 2017-11-27 12:18
is anyone else getting unacceptable lag through the Wired Adapter? I bought it to eliminate (greatly reduce) the Lag associated with the WiFi connectivity from the Osmo Pro to the Display Device be it Android or iOS to make pulling focus easier and knowing when to stop vs. any necessary bounce back from overshooting, or guessing approximately where to stop.
I am seeing anywhere from 305-845 milliseconds lag from my OsmoPro, Focus2, through the wired adapter to my Nexus7 running the latest AOS and the OsmoPro running the recommended v1.4.0.70... i'm going to connect it to my I2's Crystal Sky monitor and run this test again, but so far I am very disappointed...

i have the same problem when I use focus peaking this is PRO camera? ?!?!
2018-1-2
Use props
The Polymath
lvl.2
Flight distance : 644672 ft
United States

The CS Display yields similar results in lag time. For a wired connection, this lag is unacceptable.
We've all wasted money on this adapter cable that has ZERO benefit to the wifi connection... not good... not good at all
2018-1-3
Use props
Bobster85
lvl.2
United States

boogui Posted at 2017-9-28 08:03
hi , i bought the adapter, connect it to the osmo adapter for the X5, nothing works.

I haven't received any lag issues when using the wired adapter with the x5 camera.
2018-1-29
Use props
B_animal
lvl.1
Flight distance : 156591 ft
United States

Bobster85 Posted at 2018-1-29 11:33
I haven't received any lag issues when using the wired adapter with the x5 camera.

I cant get it to work
2018-5-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Please provide us more details about the issue you encountered, we will do our best to assist, thank you.
2018-5-18
Use props
Bobster85
lvl.2
United States

Please provide details so we can better assist.

First off, make sure you have updated the firmware.
2018-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules