1161 11 2017-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nzfritz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263796 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

I have always been super over cautious when charging lipos (fireproof bags, never leaving the room, unplugging as soon as charge is complete etc).

Should these  new smart batteries for inspire 2 be treated the same?

Is it ok to leave it on the charger after complete (presumably they stop charging after the beep).
Should they be stored at 50% charge?
Should a bag be used ( I guess not because if logistically wouldn't work anyways).

Look forward to comments.
2017-5-13
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

The batteries do stop charging when they are full but it is recommended not to leave them plugged in.  It is also, not recommended to leave them unattended whilst charging. I have left them overnight and I'm sure many others have.
They should be stored at about 50% but this is not something you need to worry about. You can set your batteries to discharge themselves after two days (default, ten days) and they will look after themselves. There has been many stories of batteries that have been manually discharged to 50% before being stored that have been found dead after a few months.  I'm guessing when you discharge them to 50% then leave them, they go into self-discharge and the voltage drops even more, killing the battery.
I have never used lipo bags for the TB47/TB48 and have not heard of anyone else using them but I can't see any harm in them other than maybe increasing the risk of the battery overheating.
My advice would be to make sure you FULLY charge the battery before AND after each flight. Do not discharge before storing (the battery is programmed to do this itself). Fully cycle the batteries every ten charges or when prompted by the app. If the battery has been left for a day or more after being charged, turn it on, THEN plug it into the charger, it may have gone into self-discharge and only dropped to 95% / 97% but this is a dangerous mode to be flying in, the voltage can drop unexpectedly causing the battery to shut down mid-flight. FULLY charge BEFORE and AFTER.

Mark G.
2017-5-14
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-5-14 01:20
The batteries do stop charging when they are full but it is recommended not to leave them plugged in.  It is also, not recommended to leave them unattended whilst charging. I have left them overnight and I'm sure many others have.
They should be stored at about 50% but this is not something you need to worry about. You can set your batteries to discharge themselves after two days (default, ten days) and they will look after themselves. There has been many stories of batteries that have been manually discharged to 50% before being stored that have been found dead after a few months.  I'm guessing when you discharge them to 50% then leave them, they go into self-discharge and the voltage drops even more, killing the battery.
I have never used lipo bags for the TB47/TB48 and have not heard of anyone else using them but I can't see any harm in them other than maybe increasing the risk of the battery overheating.

Hi Mark,

You mentioned fully cycle the batteries every 10 charges or when prompt by the app. I have never seen the app display this message and what do you mean "Fully cycle" Drain them down to near 0% charge and charge them up again?

Regards,
Tom
2017-5-14
Use props
nzfritz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263796 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

Mark, much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time out to explain all of that. I hope others also can glean from it! Happy Sunday!
2017-5-14
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Jersey

dldp-sp Posted at 2017-5-14 03:25
Hi Mark,

You mentioned fully cycle the batteries every 10 charges or when prompt by the app. I have never seen the app display this message and what do you mean "Fully cycle" Drain them down to near 0% charge and charge them up again?

Hi Tom,

I have heard that one of the later firmware updates may have removed this prompt but what I do is fully discharge the battery until it turns off ( the "smart" part of the battery will shut it down before it gets to a dangerous level) then fully recharge it again. It is recommended to do this every ten charges or so.

Mark G.
2017-5-14
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have seen the prompt on a few older Inspires that I bought used.
On first power up they say to update firmware and also another prompt stating that the battery needs to be drained and then fully charged.
This is the only time I have seen it. So, it is likely on the older FW version.
I have never seen it on my main AC (I1Pro) which is on the latest FW.
2017-5-14
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

I have just bought TB48 which is labeled as 5800 mah. But after 6 charges in the space of within one month, the full capacity as shown on the dji go app is only now around 5200 mah.  How comes the full capacity drops so fast.
2017-5-14
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DTK Posted at 2017-5-14 17:11
I have just bought TB48 which is labeled as 5800 mah. But after 6 charges in the space of within one month, the full capacity as shown on the dji go app is only now around 5200 mah.  How comes the full capacity drops so fast.

Try to perform cycle charge (full discharge down to self-switching off and following full charge), perhaps twice if first attempt will not produce desired results. That's the only remedy I can think about ... Good luck.
2017-5-15
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-5-14 17:11

I have seen this too on most of my Inspire 1 batteries/   I believe this has something to do with the internal resistance of each pack and the way DJI reads this information on the Intelligent circuit. I also think that DJI is trying to give the adjusted capacity of the pack as it is used. I do not believe that DJI has given us the parameters of the process.

Deep cycling the battery will reset the intelligent circuit and most of the time I notice the capacity returns to a more normal level. One of my TB47 packs has over 69 charges and is reading about 4200 mAh now.

Rich
2017-5-15
Use props
JeffP
lvl.3
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-5-14 01:20

Mark, where in the APP does it give option to discharge after 2 days.  I only see 10 days and up.  Thanks, Jeff
2017-5-17
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Jersey

JeffP Posted at 2017-5-17 03:30
Mark, where in the APP does it give option to discharge after 2 days.  I only see 10 days and up.  Thanks, Jeff

Settings / Aircraft Battery / Advanced settings - Time to discharge.

DJI Go 4 may not have the same settings, although I'm sure you could use the Go app to set the batteries then use the Go 4 app.

Mark G.
2017-5-17
Use props
JeffP
lvl.3
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-5-17 05:40
Settings / Aircraft Battery / Advanced settings - Time to discharge.

DJI Go 4 may not have the same settings, although I'm sure you could use the Go app to set the batteries then use the Go 4 app.

Is it ok to use regular DJI Go with Inspire 2?  I have not seen the settings to go below 10 days for discharge anywhere.  Its posted all over the forum but don't see it.  Both my Inspire 2's are on current firmware. Thanks, jeff
2017-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules