Lesson Learned
1351 12 2017-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 491988 ft
United Kingdom

Headed out this morning to take some new footage and suffered and incident between Phantom and a tree...

Amazingly after striking the branches and taking a tumble the aircraft still managed to keep flight and stabalise in a neutral spot. It was a heart stopping moment and i thought i had lost the craft but managed to fly back with nothing but some superficial damage and broken ego!

Lesson learbed is always make sure you have 360 degree view of the surroundings and know the limits of the flight.

I got away lucky but i do wonder what went wrong in terms of obstacle avoidance. Ultimately it was my error but good to understand if there was a malfunction or over limits of what the sensors could have done.
2017-5-14
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

The obstacle avoidance system is not on 100% of the time,  in all flight modes and at all speeds, and to work properly it needs certain lighting conditions, and it won't react to obstacles that are too thin...  See page 27 of the User manual
2017-5-14
Use props
ChrisFB
New
United States

Gut feeling has saved me a few times to where just freezing and looking around established that there was a branch or similar just out of my field of vision.  If I'm going to be flying anywhere that isn't clear and above I'll walk it first.  New growth in spring can also get you.
2017-5-14
Use props
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
United Kingdom

ChrisFB Posted at 2017-5-14 07:30
Gut feeling has saved me a few times to where just freezing and looking around established that there was a branch or similar just out of my field of vision.  If I'm going to be flying anywhere that isn't clear and above I'll walk it first.  New growth in spring can also get you.

Yeah very true. I think the wind caught me a bit too. Don't think i can watch the footage much more haha No idea how it still managed to fly....
2017-5-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Micro Pilot Posted at 2017-5-14 07:41
Yeah very true. I think the wind caught me a bit too. Don't think i can watch the footage much more haha No idea how it still managed to fly....

You can post it here and will watch it for you...

Also, I use the UAV FORECAST app it really help with wind directions, gust, speed, also KP and NFZ stuff.

Always scout your surrounding before flight and stay in LOS and you will save yourself a few heart attacks!
2017-5-14
Use props
DanbyUrgess
Second Officer
United States

Thanks the heads up experience, a good reminder
2017-5-14
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Video???? Please?  I love watching close  calls..
2017-5-14
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-5-14 19:00

This will do?
2017-5-14
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-5-14 19:43
This will do?
https://youtu.be/4a2-t8DzOnM

Lol, yeah that one is pretty good.. I remember this one video where they showed a mavic hitting a tree and it starts to fall but catches itself and keeps flying.. it was amazing.. That's what it sounds like happened here and I am curious how fast the P4P reacted.. It's not as small as the Mavic but I wonder if it is just as nimble.
2017-5-14
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-5-14 19:46
Lol, yeah that one is pretty good.. I remember this one video where they showed a mavic hitting a tree and it starts to fall but catches itself and keeps flying.. it was amazing.. That's what it sounds like happened here and I am curious how fast the P4P reacted.. It's not as small as the Mavic but I wonder if it is just as nimble.

There's always a number of possible reactions in collision scenario and you'll be amazed what some of these machines are capable of in order to survive. My Inspire 1 Pro (shown in this video) first get confused by sudden loss of propulsion on one motor and start slow spin, but quickly consult the issue with sensors and compass (who knows, didn't bother to read the DAT file), and managed to maintain stable position. With that much off-balance prop it was pretty heroic, one must admit. I delivered the finger to myself after happy landing ...
2017-5-14
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-5-14 20:49
There's always a number of possible reactions in collision scenario and you'll be amazed what some of these machines are capable of in order to survive. My Inspire 1 Pro (shown in this video) first get confused by sudden loss of propulsion on one motor and start slow spin, but quickly consult the issue with sensors and compass (who knows, didn't bother to read the DAT file), and managed to maintain stable position. With that much off-balance prop it was pretty heroic, one must admit. I delivered the finger to myself after happy landing  ...

Lol, well - there is one guy in Asia that tortures the drones.. Pretty cringe worthy to watch..

2017-5-14
Use props
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-5-14 19:00

Ill get something up shortly
2017-5-17
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Obstacle avoidance is fine but good old flying techniques still prevail. The obstacle avoidance should be considered as a last ditch effort. And as spoken above there are things that can interfere with it. If the light is right a small branch can be avoided. If it isn't you will fly fight into it. Sounds like that is what happened to you.
2017-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules