Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Australian Mavic Pilots - Post your shots
1244 12 2017-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 275817 ft
Australia

I'm looking for inspiration from my fellow Aussies and would invite any 'locals' to post any of their favourite shots and videos here please.  Feel free to give a story about what you're up to as the Mavic is only fairly recently come to our shores and I've had the privelege of learning a lot from my local drone man and what he has shown me from his overseas trips has totally blown me away.

Cheers in advance - keep flying!

The Gabba, Brisbane

The Gabba, Brisbane
2017-5-14
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Welcome to the forum.
Just hope that was not a shot you took with your Mavic as it would be totally illegal to fly there.
2017-5-14
Use props
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-14 22:24
Welcome to the forum.
Just hope that was not a shot you took with your Mavic as it would be totally illegal to fly there.

These are the CASA regulations that I work to:

You should only fly in visual line-of-sight, in day visual meteorological conditions (VMC). What does that mean?
No night flying (generally).
No flying in or through cloud or fog, and you should.
Be able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through first-person-view [FPV, binoculars, telescopes]) at all times, (unless you operate under the procedures of an approved model flying association. Contact the MAAA for more information about flying FPV).
You must not fly closer than 30 metres to vehicles, boats, buildings or people.
You must not fly over populous areas such as beaches, heavily populated parks, or sports ovals while they are in use.
In controlled airspace, which covers most Australian cities, you must not fly higher than 120 metres (400 feet) above the ground.
You must not fly in a way that creates a hazard to other aircraft, so you should keep at least 5.5 km away from airfields, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites.
You must not fly your RPA in or over prohibited / restricted area, unless you have the  permission of the authority controlling the area.
In restricted airspace, aircraft movements are reduced to those with certain specified permissions. Examples of restricted airspace include airspace around military installations or military controlled aerodromes, over Sydney Harbour, high-density flying operations or at an air show or other large public event. Restricted airspace may also be imposed by police for safety or security reasons near bushfires or major crime scenes. It is illegal to fly your RPA in these areas without permission
2017-5-14
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

Tim the Toolman Posted at 2017-5-14 22:42
These are the CASA regulations that I work to:

You should only fly in visual line-of-sight, in day visual meteorological conditions (VMC). What does that mean?

You are controlled airspace for Brisbane airport.
2017-5-14
Use props
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-14 23:20
You are controlled airspace for Brisbane airport.

The Mavic will tell me if I'm in controlled airspace but I will look this up all the same.  We actually did a photo shoot at Nudgee where the firmware reported we were in controlled airspace so didn't fly.  Don't want cowboys doing the wrong thing and making CASA come down like a ton of bricks on safe operators whilst we have some sort of normality with the regulations.
2017-5-14
Use props
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Australia

2017-5-15
Use props
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Australia

As I had thought the Woollongabba area is not controlled airspace as it is out of airport no fly zones, however with a second operator you are allowed to fly near the Mater Hospital helicopter landing pad
2017-5-15
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

Tim the Toolman Posted at 2017-5-15 00:07
As I had thought the Woollongabba area is not controlled airspace as it is out of airport no fly zones, however with a second operator you are allowed to fly near the Mater Hospital helicopter landing pad

I am not sure where you found that map but according to the CASA VTC for Brisbane you are in controlled airspace. Not sure why the Mavic allowed you to fly there.
Also forgot to mention that there is a Regional tab at the top of the forum page and if you go there, you will see Australia listed. That page is also for Aussie fliers.
2017-5-15
Use props
Tim the Toolman
lvl.1
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-15 17:31
I am not sure where you found that map but according to the CASA VTC for Brisbane you are in controlled airspace. Not sure why the Mavic allowed you to fly there.
Also forgot to mention that there is a Regional tab at the top of the forum page and if you go there, you will see Australia listed. That page is also for Aussie fliers.

That would have been more helpful.  Thanks for the latter
2017-5-17
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-14 22:24
Welcome to the forum.

Considering this is a Mavic forum, i would hazard a guess and say YES it was a Mavic that took that shot.
What makes you think this might not be from a Mavic (at least hoping) and what makes you think it these forums were made for people to run around pointing fingers and claiming illegality?

OP nice shot!
Getting sick of clowns playing CASA wanna-bees
2017-5-17
Use props
Rusty Iron
lvl.4
Australia

My latest effort. I think I got the camera settings better than previous times. This is Wilbinga Beach, about 70 or 80 ks north of Perth.

2017-5-17
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Australia

Rusty Iron Posted at 2017-5-17 20:59
My latest effort. I think I got the camera settings better than previous times. This is Wilbinga Beach, about 70 or 80 ks north of Perth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu4lEBJidlI

Great video and great location. Have been there.
Love the intro and finish on your video, very clever.
2017-5-17
Use props
SA Mavic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8432 ft
Australia

Some months ago I came across some postings about MP repair companies in Australia, and in particular the official DJI repair business in Burwood. Vic
I had been having increasingly severe video tearing and corruption on the smartphones I was using with the MP, and in early December these problems made it impossible to view the drone image. The "interesting" part was that the same problem occurred on both smartphones at about the same time - just after I updated the DJI GO 4 app to v4.1.18. After some communications with the DJI support centre I was allocated a case number and provided with postal dockets so I could send the drone to Burwood. This part of the service I was very happy with and 4 days after I posted the drone off I received a couple of emails stating that the drone had bee received and checked out. They could find no fault with the drone and said my smartphone must have developed a fault, and that the drone would be sent back. After 2 weeks of waiting nothing had arrived  back so I managed to send an email to the Burwood service centre to check. I received an email in response from an administration woman stating that they had not sent the drone back because I had not asked them to return it !!!!! So for anyone else who sends a drone there for repairs make sure you stick a note on the drone stating that it must be returned once repaired (or not repaired as in my case). It took another 4 days before Australia Post had received the package and put a tracking code on it. After 3 days the package arrived at Underwood in Qld (1600km trip) and then 3 days later it was back in Victoria at a different PO to the original, and then 2 days after that it finally turned up in Adelaide, where I live.  I am not sure who was worst - DJI administration or Australia Post.
And the real reason for the original problem? It was the new DJI GO 4 app. The day after my drone had been returned DJI released a new significantly rewritten app - v4.2.8, and this fixed about 70% of the video corruption issue. Even the new app does cause problems for some of the older smartphones because of the massive amount of number crunching they need to do, and the processors overheat. Without going into too much detail here, I did numerous tests that confirmed to me that smartphone overheating was the issue, before sending the drone away to DJI. One of the tests I did once I got the drone back was to check how much longer I could fly before getting some video corruption by removing the back panel of the Sony smartphone and exposing the internals to open air. Fully closed up it took about 1 minute before signs of video corruption started and after removing the back panel and repeating the flying exercise it took 4 minutes before signs of video corruption appeared.  A simple test for those of you who are experiencing video corruption and image tearing: switch to camera mode and take a photo. The screen will clear instantly. Also if you put the drone into "tripod mode" with video then you will probably get no video corruption.
2018-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules