Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Disturbing a drone pilot while flying (Canada)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JW5255
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I had a recent encounter with self professed "citizen", which went south fairly quickly. I thought I had read in the Canadian Air Regs somewhere that it is an offence to disturb a drone pilot while they are actively flying.  I tried finding it again, to no avail.  Any other Canadians aware where I may find this again?

My story: I was approached by this individual, who basically began to ask me a series of questions with respect to my right to fly the drone.  When I realized that he was looking for a confrontation, and with the drone airborne, I politely asked him to give me some distance.  He did not, and I was forced to degrade my language several levels before he understood.  I lost contact with the drone, was able to recover it with a RTH.  
2017-5-15
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Next time just show them you are carrying. They will leave you alone.
2017-5-15
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-5-15 14:13
Next time just show them you are carrying. They will leave you alone.

Not sure Canadians have the same abilities to carry we do here. Besides, you don't want to be accused of 'Brandishing'.
2017-5-15
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

You can point out that the laws prohibit you to fly closer than 75m to people and so you cannot land unless he goes away.
2017-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Well if you asked him nicely and he refused. Then you took the right option, drone bothering who needs it.
2017-5-15
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Tell him to call the police if he has a problem.  He has no authority over you or your drone.  Or threaten to go to his house and scatter his garbage all over his yard.  That usually works for me.
2017-5-15
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Cabansail Posted at 2017-5-15 17:02
You can point out that the laws prohibit you to fly closer than 75m to people and so you cannot land unless he goes away.

Better to put it the other way around - the law prohibits him from being closer than 75m to a landing aircraft, so can he please move at least 75m away while you bring the aircraft in to land.  While it is the pilot that has to ensure the distance, it is true that the law prohibits him from being closer than 75m to a landing drone.

After that, I believe that you live in a free country, you don't need to prove that you have the right to fly so you can ask him the questions rather than answer them.   Of course it is always best to be friendly, but that doesn't need to be one sided.
2017-5-16
Use props
Capo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

Unfortunately, the new drone rules in Canada are one of many examples of how we aren't in a free country these days.
2017-5-16
Use props
JW5255
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-5-15 22:25
Tell him to call the police if he has a problem.  He has no authority over you or your drone.  Or threaten to go to his house and scatter his garbage all over his yard.  That usually works for me.

I did suggest that he call the police, he declined.  I like the garbage angle.  Yeah, garbage, ... Be best done on garbage day.  
2017-5-17
Use props
Mr Pete
lvl.1
Flight distance : 404219 ft
United Kingdom

Tell him you'll film on your drone whilst scattering the garbage...
2017-5-17
Use props
K-Tool
New
Flight distance : 102444 ft

United States

I would have brought the drone close enough to him to record him, but far enough away for him to reach.... Nothing better than publicizing the ones that cause issues.
2017-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules