Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Pro Handheld!
4916 22 2017-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ezDrew
lvl.4
Flight distance : 195151 ft

United States

Everything in this video was shot with a phantom 4 pro in one short hike and edit. I'm looking for a strap so I can hold the p4p easier when taking shots as a handheld gimbal. Anyone know of any? I think the phantom does an amazing job as a handheld. It might look goofy and not be the most convenient but for those who can't spend money on another expensive camera, this works great.

2017-5-15
Use props
TPVAerials
lvl.4

United States

Haha. Only laughing because this surprisingly worked perfectly. Let the gimbal do the work & you simply follow your subject, congrats.

I'm sure "rigging" something together would work perfectly for what you are trying to achieve. 2 coat hangers possibly? Hard to explain without a picture, but somewhat intertwine the hangers around the landing gear & hold from the rear? Use large zip ties in loops & a clothes hanger? I would have to try it out first & then send pictures!
Good luck & if you rig something up, you'll have to update us!
2017-5-15
Use props
ezDrew
lvl.4

United States

TPVAerials Posted at 2017-5-15 19:26
Haha. Only laughing because this surprisingly worked perfectly. Let the gimbal do the work & you simply follow your subject, congrats.

I'm sure "rigging" something together would work perfectly for what you are trying to achieve. 2 coat hangers possibly? Hard to explain without a picture, but somewhat intertwine the hangers around the landing gear & hold from the rear? Use large zip ties in loops & a clothes hanger? I would have to try it out first & then send pictures!

I actually found this on amazon and a similar one on eBay for the phantom 4.

IMG_0176.PNG
2017-5-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It looks like such a lovely place to hike, thanks for sharing!
2017-5-15
Use props
Crio
Captain
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great footage
2017-5-16
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

ezDrew Posted at 2017-5-15 19:42

Yup. That's the one to get. I have seen one other design, but this one is better.
2017-5-16
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Watch out! @ 0:44 there is some creepy guy with a controller following that lady and those kids! Oh wait. Never mind.
2017-5-16
Use props
JoiCam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 771434 ft
Iceland

It is for sure cool being able to take just one device with you to do the job on both areal and ground shots when hiking. Just pick up the drone and leave the extra weight in the gimbal, camera and other equipment at home
But it also made me lough seeing your girlfriend or wife pulling the wagon and your kids all the way up the hill wile you were playing around with the drone, which is also a good idea  
2017-5-16
Use props
imagine it
lvl.4
United States

The kids have the right idea of a hike. Just sit back and enjoy the scenery, no strain or pain. Nice footage.
2017-5-16
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

JoiCam Posted at 2017-5-16 06:22
It is for sure cool being able to take just one device with you to do the job on both areal and ground shots when hiking. Just pick up the drone and leave the extra weight in the gimbal, camera and other equipment at home
But it also made me lough seeing your girlfriend or wife pulling the wagon and your kids all the way up the hill wile you were playing around with the drone, which is also a good idea

That's what the GoPro Karma was trying to archive with limited success.
2017-5-16
Use props
Capo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

I was thinking of doing something similar on my ATV... strapping it on the front. I wasn't sure if the sometimes bumpy ride would cause issues or not.
2017-5-16
Use props
TrollsSlayer
Banned

Netherlands

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-16
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Nice handheld work, often looks a little bouncy but you've got it good. One of those handles about will really help, much easier carrying position and even less bounce, lets you carry them quite low for those nice shots.

I'd throw the kids out of the cart, put the Phantom in it and you've got a dolly now, nice and smooth

I'm still waiting to see someone do a handheld to flight transition in a single shot. I see DJI guys doing it on their videos. Inspire lands in one guys hand, he passes it through a window to someone else, out the back window and in the air again. Tried it once, almost lost a finger
2017-5-17
Use props
TPVAerials
lvl.4

United States

Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you found that so quickly! There is a gadget made for everything.
Do you plan on purchasing one & testing it out?
2017-5-17
Use props
ezDrew
lvl.4

United States

JoiCam Posted at 2017-5-16 06:22

haha. I actually pulled the wagon 90% of the hike up without filming and scanned the area. Everything on the video was filmed on the way back down. It wasn't much of a hike though. Just foothills, in Colorado we have 14ers.
2017-5-17
Use props
ezDrew
lvl.4

United States

TPVAerials Posted at 2017-5-17 05:10
Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you found that so quickly! There is a gadget made for everything.
Do you plan on purchasing one & testing it out?

I like this one, but it only ships from China. And I don't want to buy from china and wait a month.  
2017-5-17
Use props
mFy8ZJAnyo8K
lvl.1
United States

I have thought about doing this and tried it a conference once, but there is a lot of bounce from walking transferred.
2017-10-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

mFy8ZJAnyo8K Posted at 2017-10-18 10:20
I have thought about doing this and tried it a conference once, but there is a lot of bounce from walking transferred.

I also wonder if I can use a P4A or P as a hand held device conveniently. Not sure if you need the controller to be connected or you can just use your phone?

I think you definitely need 2 hands and good technique to make this work as well as some post stabilization (I am quite sure the OP used that also, it looks like a warp stabilizer)
2017-10-18
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Very creative!
2017-10-18
Use props
Xian Onemanshow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5384334 ft
France

Great thread and very good video, thanks for sharing .
2017-10-18
Use props
m1shootr
First Officer
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
2017-10-18
Use props
djiuser_lqsdHJcxB7HC
New

Iceland

I actually found this on amazon and a similar one on eBay for the phantom 4.[Image]

Whats the name of it?
2020-7-20
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent footage
2020-7-26
Use props
Advanced