1553 10 2017-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AidoH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 369199 ft
Australia

Hi All

I have just upgraded to the Mavic pro from my Phantom 3 Standard.  I was not able to take off from concrete with the P3S due to the steel in it, would interfer witht he compass.
Can the Mavic take off from concrete or does the compass still get interference?

thanks in advance

Adrian

2017-5-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Can the Mavic take off from concrete or does the compass still get interference?

The compass can definitely be affected by interference from the steel rebar embedded within concrete, causing the Mavic to become nearly uncontrollable. In most cases it'll eventually stabilize, but not -- as happened to one person who posted here recently -- if you crash before that happens. If anything I'd guess that the Mavic will be even more susceptible to this than a Phantom since its body is even closer to the source of the interference when it's on the ground.
2017-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

When taking off from concrete or anywhere else, just take time to check you compass arrow is pointing on the right heading and you should be ok.
2017-5-16
Use props
fansfddc5315
lvl.1
Flight distance : 74482 ft
Dominican Republic

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-16 02:30
When taking off from concrete or anywhere else, just take time to check you compass arrow is pointing on the right heading and you should be ok.

Hi,

Do you mean an external dedicate compass ?
Thanks,
2017-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansfddc5315 Posted at 2017-5-16 04:18
Hi,

No in the bottom left hand corner of your flight screen you will see a small red triangle on a map, when you put your drone on the ground getting ready to fly check to see if this arrow is pointing in the direction of where your drone is facing, this is the heading for the compass.
Let's say your drone was facing straight forward and when you look at your screen your red triangle is facing a different direction, this can mean there is some interference in your compass and you might need to move and take off from a different spot.
Most of the time you will get a warning but not always, no need to get worked up about all this no need to do calibration just move to a place where drone and compass have bot the same heading.
2017-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansfddc5315 Posted at 2017-5-16 04:18
Hi,

Here's a video which will show you what happens when you have a problem with compass.

2017-5-16
Use props
fansfddc5315
lvl.1
Flight distance : 74482 ft
Dominican Republic

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-16 04:31
No in the bottom left hand corner of your flight screen you will see a small red triangle on a map, when you put your drone on the ground getting ready to fly check to see if this arrow is pointing in the direction of where your drone is facing, this is the heading for the compass.
Let's say your drone was facing straight forward and when you look at your screen your red triangle is facing a different direction, this can mean there is some interference in your compass and you might need to move and take off from a different spot.
Most of the time you will get a warning but not always, no need to get worked up about all this no need to do calibration just move to a place where drone and compass have bot the same heading.

Ok noted. Thank you for the tip, very helpful.
2017-5-16
Use props
AidoH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 369199 ft
Australia

Thanks for the rplies, as I thought best to be safe than sorry and keep off the concrete.
2017-5-16
Use props
Parkker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

Only concrete with steel rebar reinforcement will potentially cause problems. Not all concrete has this reinforcement. Just try and see checking red arrow compass indicator as others have mentioned prior to taking flight.
2017-5-16
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

I generally look at the compass sensor reading before take off to insure there is nothing affecting the compass.  I have witnessed sitting on concrete the compass sensor gives error readings.  Then I can move it to a grassy area, and the compass errors go completely away.  This is what I look for before starting my flight.........
2017-5-16
Use props
TrollsSlayer
Banned

United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules