How is this legal?
2354 14 2017-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

https://duboiscountyherald.com/b ... ks-of-drones-racing

First person view outdoors...  Doesn't that violate the FAA laws?

2017-5-16
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

Is this a designated field with approval? It seems that he takes part in an approved race.
2017-5-16
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

See, that I don't know.  How do you create a designated field?

I thought flight with goggles was indoors only.
2017-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-16 12:33

They use netting..
2017-5-16
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

That makes sense...
2017-5-16
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

How is this legal?

Here's a good article on the subject that addresses your question:

THE FAA: “FIRST PERSON VIEW IS PROHIBITED” (SORT OF)

TL;DR: The FAA is aware of these events, says they aren't (necessarily) breaking the law, and even sometimes participates.
2017-5-16
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Can you see the spotter in that picture?

Maybe contact the police and help identify the droner and press charges so these totally inconsiderate illegal drone flyers can all be locked up.
How dare they fly in the open with FS's on their head. Call the police now, this unacceptable!!!

Edit: Best add this  ...................    /sarcasm
2017-5-16
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I recently attended an event near me as part of the International Drone Day which is held in many countries around the world. This one was held in a paddock on a strawberry farm with the farm owners permission. They just had a netting fence on one side between the people and the racing drones. It was fantastic to watch and I was even given a set of goggles set to the frequency of one of the racers to see what it was like in real time while they were racing. Blew me away. My fingers and brain just could not move that fast. Excellent spectator sport.
2017-5-16
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-16 12:33

You can fly with googles but need a spotter. In the case of a designated field or race area, they have very well set of rules and pre-checks before flight, such as the fail-safe system where the race quad shall stop all it's motors and disarm itself in the case of a RC control loss. Also, they should have all permissions in place to hold the race beside each quad should be registered under FAA. If you fly in a secluded area just follow FAA regulations and have a spotter in the case of using googles.
2017-5-17
Use props
DJISenord
lvl.1

United States

I suggest all pilots, recreation and professional know the FAA and local laws in their area.  In fact, their are many low cost and even FREE materials out there to inform pilots, ignorance is no excuse.  I am a pro pilot, but it only cost me for example $155 dollars to earn my FAA certificate month ago ($150 exam fee and $5 for an really good study prep app call UAS107, https://play.google.com/store/ap ... otix.labs&hl=en).  Knowing the rules and flying legally is much better for the industry, and for your pocket as fines can be in excess of $10k depending on the violation.  Know the rules and be safe!
2017-5-18
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJISenord Posted at 2017-5-18 06:48
I suggest all pilots, recreation and professional know the FAA and local laws in their area.  In fact, their are many low cost and even FREE materials out there to inform pilots, ignorance is no excuse.  I am a pro pilot, but it only cost me for example $155 dollars to earn my FAA certificate month ago ($150 exam fee and $5 for an really good study prep app call UAS107, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uas107.openrobotix.labs&hl=en).  Knowing the rules and flying legally is much better for the industry, and for your pocket as fines can be in excess of $10k depending on the violation.  Know the rules and be safe!

How hard was it to prep for the test? How many hours on average did you spent on prep?
2017-5-18
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

"Despite the fact that FPV drone racing is becoming a national phenomenon, the FAA has yet to take enforcement action against any FPV pilots. In fact, the FAA has participated in drone races, such as the Drone Nationals in Sacramento."

The FAA will do the right thing concerning these rules in the end . Flying a tiny FPV racer with 5-7 minutes battery life on your own property or a designated field is no danger to anyone . Flying a larger drone capable of 20 minutes over 4+ miles , cars , buildings , people etc is their concern .
2017-5-19
Use props
kwi66
lvl.2
Austria

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-5-19 07:07
"Despite the fact that FPV drone racing is becoming a national phenomenon, the FAA has yet to take enforcement action against any FPV pilots. In fact, the FAA has participated in drone races, such as the Drone Nationals in Sacramento."

The FAA will do the right thing concerning these rules in the end . Flying a tiny FPV racer with 5-7 minutes battery life on your own property or a designated field is no danger to anyone . Flying a larger drone capable of 20 minutes over 4+ miles , cars , buildings , people etc is their concern .

Just for my understanding, please define "large".
750g is "large".....compared to a 300 to 400g racing drone?
One going 60km/h, the other one 100 to 150km/h.....
Just a matter of physics.... m*v...?
Well, a scientist could argue that they are quite similar "dangerous"...
2017-5-19
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

kwi66 Posted at 2017-5-19 08:22
Just for my understanding, please define "large".
750g is "large".....compared to a 300 to 400g racing drone?
One going 60km/h, the other one 100 to 150km/h.....

Most racing drones are 40 mph and below and the trend is to keep making them smaller and more maneuverable . My tiny whoop is 24grams with FPV and battery . I seriously doubt the FAA cares less if I am wearing goggles when flying that at anything less than the speed of light
Racing drones are not known to fly high , over long distances or over people and they have very limited flight time . You can attempt to argue semantics all day but common sense should prevail much sooner .
2017-5-19
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

The Mavic in my opinion (which doesn't mean much) is not a threat even flying 4 miles away.  With that said, I have not gone very far with it, but I would like to.  Even on total power loss, I don't see this thing giving much more than a good welt if it hit someone.  
2017-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules