Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Shooting RAW
2325 3 2017-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
New York Giants
lvl.4
Flight distance : 334774 ft
United States

Can someone explain to me the difference in shooting in RAW vs another shooting format? Thanks
2017-5-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RAW only applies to stills on the Phantom series, the video is not RAW. If you use RAW, the image from the camera's sensor is written to a file without any corrections or work being done on it. You then need to open the raw DNG file with a good application that can handle it and do all the colour grading, enhancement and other work yourself. For this you need to be skilled in handling raw material.

If you don't know anything about how to 'develop' a raw shot, then best to shoot in plain JPG form.
2017-5-16
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

All digital images start out as RAW. It is the data set which comes from the sensor. For a Jpeg image this data is processed according to the settings in the camera and then the compressed file is stored. If the original data is stored it is called a RAW file but some do not have that option. The format will vary with different manufacturers. DJI used the DNG format which is an Adobe format and stands for Digital Negative. Inside the data set there will be an embedded Jpeg thumbnail which can be used as a preview.

The RAW file is not a photo. It cannot be edited. You can extract information from it to make a photo. It is meant to be processed and is the first part of the photography workflow. If you are not able to process your images then shooting Jpeg may be the best for you. If you are going to learn how to process images later or know someone who will do that for you then shoot RAW + Jpeg, Use the Jpegs as you normally would and store the RAW files for future use.

Me, I just shoot RAW as everything will go through my workflow using Photoshop.
2017-5-16
Use props
JoiCam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 771434 ft
Iceland

RAW is a file format that captures all image data recorded by the sensor wit minimal and in some cases no compression. RAW / uncompressed RAW.
I do edit them directly in Adobe Lightroom.
RAW is not an image file per se, that file contains all the info from the sensor without  or with a minimal compression so there you will have the best  control over the white balance, exposure, contrast, saturation, details,  and  calibration of the red, green and blue color range.
And it is all lossless.
2017-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules