Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
wifi or wifi+cellular?
1236 10 2017-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
egargiulo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5000 ft
Italy

To install dji go4, i would like to take an apple air 2 wifi. Is it necessary that has it also cellular?
2017-5-17
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No it's not necessary.
Apple don't give you a GPS receiver in the iPad unless you pay for the cellular version.
But you only need a GPS receiver in your tablet for two things:
1.  Follow-me flight
2.  Resetting home point to the current location of the controller (used if you are on a moving car or boat)

Your Phantom uses its own GPS for everything else.
2017-5-17
Use props
todor
Captain
Flight distance : 2172805 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

It only matter if you wish to stream live (mobile carrier bandwidth) outside of urban areas. Also as @Labroides said, it is useful for Follow me option and "dynamic home point" usage.
2017-5-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Both Labroides and todor are correct.
2017-5-17
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

Above are all correct, and note that cellular will also give you google maps support when out of wifi range.
2017-5-17
Use props
egargiulo
Second Officer
Italy

todor Posted at 2017-5-17 02:36
It only matter if you wish to stream live (mobile carrier bandwidth) outside of urban areas. Also as @Labroides said, it is useful for Follow me option and "dynamic home point" usage.

HI. thank you all. Ipad wifi + cellular is useful for using the Follow Me option and "dynamic home point" usage. So are these 2 functions only possible if the ipad also has cellular? Is not the gps supplied with the ipad enough? So if i want these 2 functions need I to buy a wifi + cellular ipad?
2017-5-17
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

egargiulo Posted at 2017-5-17 21:20
HI. thank you all. Ipad wifi + cellular is useful for using the Follow Me option and "dynamic home point" usage. So are these 2 functions only possible if the ipad also has cellular? Is not the gps supplied with the ipad enough? So if i want these 2 functions need I to buy a wifi + cellular ipad?

Read post #2 again
2017-5-17
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

As Labroides replied in #2, iPad with wifi only DOES NOT have gps.  iPad with wifi and cellular does have gps.
2017-5-17
Use props
todor
Captain
Flight distance : 2172805 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

egargiulo Posted at 2017-5-17 21:20

Exactly, you have to buy wifi+cellular. This way your drone will be able to follow you (your ipad and remote controller) according to the gps data sent from your tablet. Also if you move from the take off point to another spot you may change your drone's home point to your new location.
2017-5-17
Use props
egargiulo
Second Officer
Italy

ok. thank

2017-5-17
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

todor Posted at 2017-5-17 22:15
Exactly, you have to buy wifi+cellular. This way your drone will be able to follow you (your ipad and remote controller) according to the gps data sent from your tablet. Also if you move from the take off point to another spot you may change your drone's home point to your new location.

And if you are like most flyers and don't do follow-me or fly from a moving boat or car, you don't need it at all.
2017-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules