Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
POLL: What about the 'RTH-'BEEP' ?
1173566 1173566 2017-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4ee4a121
lvl.4
Canada

RedChops Posted at 2017-5-24 05:29
Except even that isn't true. If I press -either- RTH buttons in my hand, the RC is still in my hand. In an instant I can move the sticks and fly manually. This is why I believe the beep should be able to be silenced. As long as the RC is in my hand and I'm fit to use it I'm still in control.

If you're a jet liner pilot and engage autopilot, is there an alarming bell all through the cabin while that mode is engaged? Absolutely not, because it's a safe, intelligent flight mode.

I agree totally
2018-1-9
Use props
fans4ee4a121
lvl.4
Canada

The beeping is almost as restarted as the people who say it is important, it does nothing to tell people there is a drone landing, all it does is make people stare
2018-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans4ee4a121 Posted at 2018-1-9 12:22
The beeping is almost as restarted as the people who say it is important, it does nothing to tell people there is a drone landing, all it does is make people stare

Stare at what a RC pilot wit his controls in his hand waiting for his drone to land, sounds like you need to go get lessons in how to land your drone.
2018-1-9
Use props
zbigzbig20
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Simply there should be an option to enable or disable beeping or change volume of it. Then everyone can decide I want ir or not
2018-1-9
Use props
ghostrdr
First Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
Puerto Rico

Something's beeping. Everybody duck, there must be an incoming rogue drone!
2018-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-9 12:40
Stare at what a RC pilot wit his controls in his hand waiting for his drone to land, sounds like you need to go get lessons in how to land your drone.

Except those it’s there to warn.
2018-1-9
Use props
Steeevo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

Give us an option, I try and get home before the warnings start
2018-1-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is annoying and draws far too much unwanted attention, there should be an option to lower the volume to ANY level, that includes off
2018-1-13
Use props
Grumpybeard
lvl.3
Flight distance : 593356 ft
Switzerland

Combo of 3 and 4
2018-1-14
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-8 08:23
Don’t be ridiculous, beeping in RTH stops when it’s finished, explain how you think RTH is done just by pressing it .
The beeping is not there only for the purpose of the controller, but to warn those around that an aircraft is landing no longer under the control of pilot.

I'm being ridiculous? I think your analogy is ridiculous! A lorry driver doesn't have a beep attached to him when his vehicle is in reverse does he.it is the vehicle that has it to warn people that is it that is the danger!
2018-1-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Spain

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-20 15:11
I'm being ridiculous? I think your analogy is ridiculous! A lorry driver doesn't have a beep attached to him when his vehicle is in reverse does he.it is the vehicle that has it to warn people that is it that is the danger!

You may not have been in a lorry when it’s reversing but yes there is constant beeping in the cab , but that doesn’t matter the beeping is for the safety of the general public just as it is in your RC. And your RC is not attached to you, you are also in control of the beeping and if you 1/ read your manual you will see it tells you RTH only to be used in emergency situations, 2/ if you learn to fly correctly you won’t need to use RTH to ge your Aircraft back safely.
So yes completely ridiculous
2018-1-20
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-20 15:29
You may not have been in a lorry when it’s reversing but yes there is constant beeping in the cab , but that doesn’t matter the beeping is for the safety of the general public just as it is in your RC. And your RC is not attached to you, you are also in control of the beeping and if you 1/ read your manual you will see it tells you RTH only to be used in emergency situations, 2/ if you learn to fly correctly you won’t need to use RTH to ge your Aircraft back safely.
So yes completely ridiculous

1)where does it say that in the manual that it is meant to be used in emergency situations?in fact, Smart RTH would suggest that it is a feature not just for emergency situations 2) The app and or device crashes (in case you haven’t been keeping up) 3) your analogy is still ridiculous and makes no sense, most people hear the beep and just think it is something coming from you, if it was on the aircraft they would know something is coming towards them.
2018-1-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Spain

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-21 15:20
1)where does it say that in the manual that it is meant to be used in emergency situations?in fact, Smart RTH would suggest that it is a feature not just for emergency situations 2) The app and or device crashes (in case you haven’t been keeping up) 3) your analogy is still ridiculous and makes no sense, most people hear the beep and just think it is something coming from you, if it was on the aircraft they would know something is coming towards them.

Here now this must be something you missed in the manual. If you can’t think logically then they’re is no point in further explaining, so I will leave you this which may help in the future.

2018-1-21
Use props
digitalintruder
First Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

This is the one thing that bugs me about this. Even if RTH is initiated on my own accord, why does it need to beep?! I saw a video of guy tearing open a mavic controller to remove the squeakers, I'm almost tempted to do the same.
2018-1-21
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-21 17:03
Here now this must be something you missed in the manual. If you can’t think logically then they’re is no point in further explaining, so I will leave you this which may help in the future.

[view_image]

What manual is that from as it doesn't say that in either my Spark or Mavic manuals.
2018-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Spain

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-24 04:26
What manual is that from as it doesn't say that in either my Spark or Mavic manuals.

It’s in all safety manuals for all dji aircraft, but a lot of people ignore the safety manual yet it’s the most important one.
2018-1-24
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-24 04:55
It’s in all safety manuals for all dji aircraft, but a lot of people ignore the safety manual yet it’s the most important one.

Ok, I got that....still...think the beep would be better on the drone than the controls...or at least on both... ;)
2018-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Spain

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-24 05:16
Ok, I got that....still...think the beep would be better on the drone than the controls...or at least on both... ;)

Certainly think on ascension it would be good feature on drone.
2018-1-24
Use props
Brian88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

I wouldn't mind a way to confirm, "Ok I hear you Mavic, I'm coming home" no need to keep pestering me.
2018-1-24
Use props
Simmo1
First Officer
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Put it on the Aircraft
2018-1-27
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I had the use of the RTH function today for the first time after a signal loss..... the reassuring beep was comforting and my little air returned to me, so beep away little friend, beep away.
2018-3-6
Use props
Visualkaos
Second Officer
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

A discreet blinking light on the remote would be better than the incredibly nerve racking BEEP.  No need to make this much noise.  
2018-3-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Visualkaos Posted at 2018-3-6 16:28
A discreet blinking light on the remote would be better than the incredibly nerve racking BEEP.  No need to make this much noise.

A discrete blinking will not be much of a warning to those around that a drone no longer under the control of pilot is about to land in their vicinity.
2018-3-7
Use props
ChaosKnign
Second Officer
Flight distance : 402877 ft
United States

This would be a non-issue if it were left to the pilots’ discretion.

User options are the way to go with any product, in my opinion. Whether it’s a safety feature and it’s good for us nothing should be forced onto a customer base.

2 cents.
2018-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ChaosKnign Posted at 2018-3-9 20:29
This would be a non-issue if it were left to the pilots’ discretion.

User options are the way to go with any product, in my opinion. Whether it’s a safety feature and it’s good for us nothing should be forced onto a customer base.

So when a truck goes into reverse do you think it should be decided by the driver whether the warning beep is active ? And what if he forgets is it ok that a person gets flattened by it ?
2018-3-11
Use props
ChaosKnign
Second Officer
United States

Hallmark: Yes. It should be the truck drivers’ responsibility to safely back up, with or without a beep.

It should be your responsibility as a pedestrian/bike rider to be aware of your surroundings and watch for potential dangers so you won’t get flattened.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
- Benjamin Franklin
2018-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ChaosKnign Posted at 2018-3-11 12:36
Hallmark: Yes. It should be the truck drivers’ responsibility to safely back up, with or without a beep.

It should be your responsibility as a pedestrian/bike rider to be aware of your surroundings and watch for potential dangers so you won’t get flattened.

Yes but it’s not the truck driver that does it, the powers that be have decided that pedestrians are much safer if it it automatic and I have to agree because these are the people that have to pick up the pieces of negligent people , you can see by reading this thread that a huge amount of users think this beeping is to simply alert them , that is not what it is for it’s to alert those around that there is a drone landing no longer under the control of the pilot.
So I’m sure if the beeping annoys the truck driver he is likely not to turn it on or forget to turn it on. Safety is the most important concern when flying drones to try to reduce or water down safety measures is asking for problems.
You will read many posts on this thread from people that are embarrassed by the beeping it’s easy to tell who they are concerned about, I certainly wouldn’t trust them with my safety.
The reality is if you are a competent pilot you can bring home and land your drone and in exceptional situations or as your manual tells (Only use in emergency situations) this beeping will alert those around landing area and will also let the pilot know that his aircraft is returning, it’s when the pilot can’t hear the beeping he knows he has a problem.

I think your quote is more about privacy than safety.
2018-3-11
Use props
ghostrdr
First Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

If it was a safety warning the drone would be beeping, not the controller. How is an pedestrian supposed to associate a beeping person with a rogue drone? They can't, it's just your pretzel logic!
2018-3-11
Use props
ChaosKnign
Second Officer
United States

I simply don’t want it to beep. For whatever reason.

My 2 cents.

Communist.
2018-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-3-11 13:28
If it was a safety warning the drone would be beeping, not the controller. How is an pedestrian supposed to associate a beeping person with a rogue drone? They can't, it's just your pretzel logic!

The difference between us is I know why the beeping is there you don’t I’ve explained already, you are just one of these people who can’t fly your drone home for all those who can they don’t or won’t have any problem with the beeping.
I think the fact that dji have included it in all new drones including professional drones like inspire2 and MATRICE shows they know a lot more about safety than you.

If the drone was beeping 500metres away and 120 metres high then who is going to hear this, if someone comes up to you and asks why the beeping you can just tell them you can’t control your drone so automatic islanding it for you.

You should also read your manual it tells you only use RTH in emergency situations , I have had dji drones for the last 5 years I’ve used RTH 3 times , really how difficult is it to put up with beeping once every 2 years.
2018-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ChaosKnign Posted at 2018-3-11 13:29

My 2 cents.

Fly your drone home No Beeping,
2018-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-3-11 13:28

You need to try to think logically.
Who is in danger of a drone returning home, (Those around the landing homepoint)
Who is the beeping for (Those around the landing homepoint)

2018-3-11
Use props
maurom82
Second Officer
Flight distance : 143757 ft
Italy

it's a safety feature, it's ok but an option to lower the sound would be appreciated.
2018-3-11
Use props
ChaosKnign
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-11 13:49
Fly your drone home No Beeping,

Indeed.

I still would like the RTH to be user controllable.

Thanks. =)
2018-3-11
Use props
Visualkaos
Second Officer
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

ChaosKnign Posted at 2018-3-11 13:29

My 2 cents.

Me either, I just think a light is sufficient on the controller letting the user know what state the drone is in.  
2018-3-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Visualkaos Posted at 2018-3-12 11:31
Me either, I just think a light is sufficient on the controller letting the user know what state the drone is in.

Again you miss the point, it’s not for the user he knows what’s happening he instigated it, it’s for the benefit of those in or around the area drone is going to land. It doesn’t require much lateral thinking.
2018-4-4
Use props
Rawsome
First Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Or just play some lovely elevator/on hold tunes )
2018-4-4
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Post deleted.
Don't click on the symbol (symbian) over the Avatar... some kind of ad)
2018-4-5
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm looking for a customer table "warning" alerts that I can set to my preferences.  For each item I'd like to be able to choose a distinct alert.   
For example:   
1) Single beep every ' x ' seconds;   
2) double-quick beep every 'x' seconds   
3) triple-quick beep every 'x' seconds.
4) voice only.   
Where ' x' equals something like 2, 4, 10, 20, 30 seconds.... I choose.   
AND, each warning type would provide a volume ' slider ' which allows variable volumes.  That way I can decide how serious a problem is and how much I need awakening!  

When that battery gets to ' x=15% ' I want to be warned with ' 3 ' quick beeps every ' 10 ' seconds at the 'highest' volume.
2018-4-5
Use props
Bokepacha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

Quite annoying not to be able to switch it off after several warnings. If I know i'm runnning out of battery and I'm already RTHing, I don't need several more minutes of beeping.
2018-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules