Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Blade comparison
2004 20 2017-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans11f5def7
New
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

When replacing the factory white blades with the polycarbonate black ones, is it better to change all four, or would two be sufficient enough. Probably a dumb question. Lol  Also, how much better are the polycarbonate blades than the factory ones? Can you tell a big difference between the two?
2017-5-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's not recommended to use 3rd party props, however, you would want all the props to be the same type.
2017-5-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Polycarbonate?
I don't think there are any polycarbonate props.
Do you mean the DJI carbon reinforced props?
They will cost more and you won't find any measurable difference in performance.
2017-5-17
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I think u mean carbon fiber, dump them.. I've read stories of prop fly-offs, did not believe it.. within 20 days I had a fly off mid air.. DJI is in process of warranty fix on my pro, it came straight down from 50 ft hover... Do not bother. If u want other than white, use RIT to color them; u can use electric tape to mask off parts u do not want to color. Walmart has RIT, so do most HobbyLobby and other such stores. It's a fabric coloring thing....
Either way, do not risk your drone, or search for carbon fiber dji prop failures.. there are many, many....
2017-5-17
Use props
Charlie in WV
New
United States

The poly-carbonate blades WILL do more damage to ones body (including fingers) if you or someone else should accidentally come in to contact with them.  The white factory blades are a little more forgiving, but you still want to avoid bodily contact.
2017-5-17
Use props
fans11f5def7
New
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Yes I meant carbon reinforced blades. Not sure why I said polycarbonate. My badd. It's the ones that DJI sells. Just didn't know if they were worth getting or not.
2017-5-17
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

well, now you know.. don't ;)
2017-5-18
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

fans11f5def7 Posted at 2017-5-17 20:57
Yes I meant carbon reinforced blades. Not sure why I said polycarbonate. My badd. It's the ones that DJI sells. Just didn't know if they were worth getting or not.

12 months on the same set of white plastic props, they've chopped through branches, hedges, grass, plants and all sorts, no chips or damage.

I can't see how the others can be any better. Paint the white ones black and they look just like the carbon ones
2017-5-18
Use props
Michgolden
lvl.4
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

Another thing to consider is that the more " reinforced " your props are the more stress is transferred to your motors, shafts, body, etc when they do come into contact with something. Just my 2 cents worth.
2017-5-20
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

fans11f5def7 Posted at 2017-5-17 20:57

I have used those and think there just fine, don't believe all the stories of how there going  to cut your fingers off or how they going to hurt your motors. Just stories peoples like to tell and retell, especially on this particular forum where members are more (if it didn't come in the box stock) don't like it. Any prop is going to hurt or cut you, and their not going to damage your motors in any way. I have used both the stock white ones and the ones your asking about that DJI sells as a upgrade. Personally I like the reinforced ones better. They have a better lift and give a bit of a performance bump, also don't nick as easy as the stock ones.
2017-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

WilliamM Posted at 2017-5-20 15:32
I have used those and think there just fine, don't believe all the stories of how there going  to cut your fingers off or how they going to hurt your motors. Just stories peoples like to tell and retell, especially on this particular forum where members are more (if it didn't come in the box stock) don't like it. Any prop is going to hurt or cut you, and their not going to damage your motors in any way. I have used both the stock white ones and the ones your asking about that DJI sells as a upgrade. Personally I like the reinforced ones better. They have a better lift and give a bit of a performance bump, also don't nick as easy as the stock ones.

"They have a better lift and give a bit of a performance bump"

Can you support that with any numbers or is it more of a feeling thing?
2017-5-20
Use props
Michgolden
lvl.4
United States

I've always had good luck with the originals. Been happy with the performance and durability, even though it "came out of the box" with them. The props are one of the few things left that are "stock". The thing is this is why we have "this forum", for people to voice their opinions and experiences and leave it up to anyone on here to listen or not. Yes, even if they "read it somewhere".
2017-5-21
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-20 17:42
"They have a better lift and give a bit of a performance bump"

Can you support that with any numbers or is it more of a feeling thing?

More of a "feeling thing", it just seems to be more responsive to stick inputs. Not a night and day thing, just a tad more, but noticeable to me at least. Also after a few flips and soft crashes (all my fault) where the props hit the earth while still under power, and after cleaning off the grass stains and mud. Not a mark, dent or nick on any blade. With my white props I've noticed some small nicks and marks from less earth impacts. The bottom line is that the white stock ones are just fine, no need to upgrade. Just disagree with other that are saying there's no advantage (zero) to the carbon reinforced props that DJI sells.
2017-5-21
Use props
Michgolden
lvl.4
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-5-21 15:08
More of a "feeling thing", it just seems to be more responsive to stick inputs. Not a night and day thing, just a tad more, but noticeable to me at least. Also after a few flips and soft crashes (all my fault) where the props hit the earth while still under power, and after cleaning off the grass stains and mud. Not a mark, dent or nick on any blade. With my white props I've noticed some small nicks and marks from less earth impacts. The bottom line is that the white stock ones are just fine, no need to upgrade. Just disagree with other that are saying there's no advantage (zero) to the carbon reinforced props that DJI sells.

Ever notice any sound difference?
2017-5-21
Use props
fanse1af22cc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

Everything I have heard suggests that the carbon blades are for better speed but you pay for it in lost flight time.
2017-5-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fanse1af22cc Posted at 2017-5-21 23:33
Everything I have heard suggests that the carbon blades are for better speed but you pay for it in lost flight time.

Except that carbon-fibre props won't make a bit of difference to the speed which is controlled by the amount of tilt which is set bt the flight controller.
2017-5-22
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
Flight distance : 120141 ft
United States

I would change all four,,  since the black ones I believe are a little lighter.  Not sure, But I would see the specs.
2017-5-22
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-22 00:11
Except that carbon-fibre props won't make a bit of difference to the speed which is controlled by the amount of tilt which is set bt the flight controller.

That would suggest that the flight controller reduces the RPM of the motors, and / or changes the pitch of the drone when it senses are certain forward speed? I never would think the FW has a speed governing affect by reducing either of these at a particular speed based on GPS.  I would think the pitch and motor RPM at full throttle is the very same without rearguards to which prop material is used in manufacturing, and therefor if a certain prop grabs the air better the drone's speed and / or performance changes. The only way to test this in the field (without just theory) is same day, same direction, same altitude and switch from prop to prop set, checking max speed at full stick and also a RTH speed.
2017-5-22
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I bought the DJI carbon props within a month of buying my drone last July (because I like the way they look and I have CF bits on my other interests (like mountain biking) so I thought why not). I have not had any problems with them after something around 180 flights or so. YMMV
If DJI were having problems with failures, I would think they would either recall and update them or stop selling them.  But who knows for sure. I have heard about the props that had metal thread inserts failing and these do not have that.
2017-5-22
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

I would not be surprised if there are multiple options with same model number, and perhaps while DJI has the ones that were fixed, some other resellers simply keep pushing old stack? I agree, if there's a proven issue, DJI should simply recall them.. A prop flying off in mid flight.. well.. that's VERY dangerous....
2017-5-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

WilliamM Posted at 2017-5-22 07:28
That would suggest that the flight controller reduces the RPM of the motors, and / or changes the pitch of the drone when it senses are certain forward speed? I never would think the FW has a speed governing affect by reducing either of these at a particular speed based on GPS.  I would think the pitch and motor RPM at full throttle is the very same without rearguards to which prop material is used in manufacturing, and therefor if a certain prop grabs the air better the drone's speed and / or performance changes. The only way to test this in the field (without just theory) is same day, same direction, same altitude and switch from prop to prop set, checking max speed at full stick and also a RTH speed.

That's exactly what the flight controller does.
Your idea of comparative testing is a good one.
I suspect that it will show that the claimed speed benefits are imaginary.
2017-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules