Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Homemade extender
2003 12 2017-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
darren3005
lvl.1
Flight distance : 108553 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all

I've owned the phantom 3 standard for about 4 months now and seem to be getting a feel for it, had the odd crash (well 2 actually) but it does seem to be quite stable. I have fancied buying a range extender or updating the aerials somehow, because I’m getting a bit annoyed with interference message appearing all the time.  Well I popped down to the local craft shop and bought some gold A4 sheets and cobbled together a makeshift extender. Seems to be quiote good, not one interference messages and nearly doubled the range on a previous flight. Last time I flew this particular feild I manged 400 meters before my P3S lost signal and RTH. This time 700 meters no interference. Still under the quoted distance but in quite happy. 11.jpg

2017-5-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha darren,

Good job!  Keep at it, you might get even more distance out of it.  Look at some of the other efforts in this area for ideas.  It also helps penetrate foliage (BTW, wet foliage is harder to penetrate than dry foliage).  Amazing what an inexpensive fix can do.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-5-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Glad it's working for you but that reflection bugs me
2017-5-18
Use props
darren3005
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-18 03:02

Yeah I guess youdon't see the reflection when using the remote correctly,  it does wobble about a bit espcially in the wind.  I would like to fit the ARGtek, but opening the remote whilst under warranty scare me a bit
2017-5-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

There's nothing wrong with seeing the reflection, but the reflection should be parallel to the antenna and ideally would be seen on both sides equally
2017-5-18
Use props
fans3a992e5e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-18 03:02

I've got a question. Why would the reflection be a problem?

Thanks,
Chris
2017-5-31
Use props
Johnnyrebel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 521010 ft
United Kingdom

So, is this a parabollok reflector?
2017-5-31
Use props
Michgolden
First Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

Another thing is to make sure that the surface is smooth, free of wrinkles. Also this might help your AC controlling signal but not the video feed. That's how things are figured out, by being experimental. Glad it's helping your range!
2017-5-31
Use props
Michgolden
First Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

What I believe is meant about the reflection evenly on both sides is to the left and right of the antenna (the antenna is centered in the extender) so that it reflects the signal out more straight forward and not to the side at all. Not the front and back.
2017-5-31
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

The signal should bounce off the reflector at the top and the bottom of the antenna equally.  The warped reflection tells me the top and the bottom of the antenna are different distances from the deflector which is not ideal.  

If you want to get serious about maximizing distance, you should make sure everything is perfect.  
2017-5-31
Use props
fans3a992e5e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-31 17:46
The signal should bounce off the reflector at the top and the bottom of the antenna equally.  The warped reflection tells me the top and the bottom of the antenna are different distances from the deflector which is not ideal.  

If you want to get serious about maximizing distance, you should make sure everything is perfect.

I think I get the comment. It was not about the shinyness of the "reflection" it's the quality of the "reflection" directed to the antena
2017-6-1
Use props
darren3005
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fans3a992e5e Posted at 2017-6-1 13:02
I think I get the comment. It was not about the shinyness of the "reflection" it's the quality of the "reflection" directed to the antena

I may try try a beta version ie wrapped around an old bottle, failing that maybe I should not be so tight and buy a decent reflective device
2017-6-5
Use props
Akaemit02
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5894029 ft
United States

Nothing better than "home" engineered
2017-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules