Osmo+ mounted to OsmoPro X5 adapter?
1336 8 2017-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

I know this might sound stupid but can I mount the Osmo+ X3 camera to the Osmo Pro X5 adapter (or X5 Z axis)?  I know you're thinking "why add an adapter to something that can already connect directly" but I want to use the new hardwire dongle to bypass wifi and get USB connection from the X3 zoom to an Android tablet.  Any idea if the X3 physically will mount?  And if it will, any idea if that hardwired controllability will come will come along with it?
2017-5-18
Use props
FauxFilm
lvl.2
United States

That's a very good question.  I don't have the X3 camera (I have the Osmo Pro with the X5) but a friend has an X3... I'm going to see if I can get his and test to see whether it will fit on mine.

If it does, it would definitely be worth the price of the adapter in order to get wire-ability.  You won't have need for the handwheel control side of things, obviously, but just getting rid of the WiFi connection I found to be an unbelievably huge advantage.

T2

2017-5-18
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

FauxFilm Posted at 2017-5-18 11:40
That's a very good question.  I don't have the X3 camera (I have the Osmo Pro with the X5) but a friend has an X3... I'm going to see if I can get his and test to see whether it will fit on mine.

If it does, it would definitely be worth the price of the adapter in order to get wire-ability.  You won't have need for the handwheel control side of things, obviously, but just getting rid of the WiFi connection I found to be an unbelievably huge advantage.

Yep.  That's what I'm after.

I know the X5 mount is slightly physically different from the X3 and I know pre-X5-adapter people hacked the Osmo handle to mount an X5.  Just don't if the reverse is possible.   DJI product info page says wired adapter isn't compatible with X3 but of course, it's unclear if that's physically incompatible or software/firmware incompatible.
2017-5-18
Use props
FauxFilm
lvl.2
United States

Yeah what they SAY and what IS is not always the case.  They SAY you can't use the gimbal extension cable, for example, on the X5, only the X3.  But it can easily be hacked, I use it all the time.

The big problem with mounting the X5 camera onto X3 fittings is that the locking ring was too tall and would bump against the bottom of the X5 camera and couldn't be turned to lock it into place... that's why people were able to hack it by grinding the ring down.  By putting an X3 camera onto an X5 fitting, the ring would be SHORTER than normal, which I don't think would be a problem.  

I'll know as soon as I can get ahold of my friend's X3... which I was hoping would be today but that's looking iffy at present.
2017-5-18
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'll try it now and let you know, gimme five minutes.
2017-5-18
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So, in answer to your questions it IS physically possible to connect the X3 camera to the X5 adapter BUT the wired adapter doesn't work.  I also tried connecting wirelessly and although I could get a picture I couldn't record or set any settings.

Sorry, it looks like you're out of luck.
2017-5-18
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

Advocate Posted at 2017-5-18 13:09
So, in answer to your questions it IS physically possible to connect the X3 camera to the X5 adapter BUT the wired adapter doesn't work.  I also tried connecting wirelessly and although I could get a picture I couldn't record or set any settings.

Sorry, it looks like you're out of luck.

Well thanks for trying!
2017-5-18
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No worries, it was worth a try.
2017-5-18
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

Hey DJI - any chance you can make the hardwire video adapter available for the Osmo and Osmo+?  It's desperately needed.  Even if we need to purchase some kind of hockey puck type attachment to go between the handle and the X3 to accommodate the communication port it would totally be worth it.  The wifi is just terribly unreliable.  
2017-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules