Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Nvidia Shield K1 keeps crashing
3212 28 2017-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Saffron96
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80466 ft
United Kingdom

Hi
I just bought an Nvidia Shield K1 after reading rave reviews  and sure enough those reviews seemed to be showing positive in the first 5 mins. The screen is crisp and bright (quite a bit brighter than my Ipad Air 2. HOWEVER the Go app crashes frequently which pretty much renders it useless in practical terms.

I read that it may be an issue with the Android 7 operating system and DJI's failure to address this issue. I tried a factory re-set of the device to no avail as it re-set back to 7.

Flashing the drive is not an option as it runs the risk of 'bricking' the device.

Is it possible to operate the Inspire 1 V2 with the DJI GO 4 app and if not will DJI fix this bug?

Anyone out there had similar issues and found a solution?

Thanks
2017-5-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you clarify which version of Nugat and the Go app you're running? The Inspire 1 isn't supported by the Go4 app. How much memory does the tablet have available?
2017-5-19
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-19 07:08
Could you clarify which version of Nugat and the Go app you're running? The Inspire 1 isn't supported by the Go4 app. How much memory does the tablet have available?

It's Android version 7.0
Shield tablet software version 5.1 (24.29.404.127)
there's masses of memory left as the only app that i have downloaded as yet is the DJI GO app
2017-5-19
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-19 07:08

It's Android version 7.0
there's masses of memory left as the only app that i have downloaded as yet is the DJI GO app
2017-5-27
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Saffron96 Posted at 2017-5-27 06:13
It's Android version 7.0

Just to make sure I'm on the same page, this is all from initial set up, correct? Did you happen to install the app via the Google Play store or using the QR code on the DJI Website/ quick start guide?
2017-5-27
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-27 10:16
Just to make sure I'm on the same page, this is all from initial set up, correct? Did you happen to install the app via the Google Play store or using the QR code on the DJI Website/ quick start guide?

Yes, this all started from the initial set-up. It was down loaded from Google Play Store.
2017-5-28
Use props
SteveDickin
First Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its a bit of a pain to do, but many are downgrading their Nvidia Shield K1 back to Marshmallow (Android Version 6.0.1).  There is a thread on the DJI Forums where one guy has typed out the whole procedure which is what I used recently.  I have not taken the Inspire out to test yet, but I am confident it sorts the crash issue from what I have read.  The downgrade is complicated for the average person and at some stages you think OHHH NOOO its froze, but you just have to be patient and then it boots to the old operating system.  Also just be conscious that your crashes could be just the mini usb connection from the Controller cable to the Nvidia shield being a little loose in the tablet, I have wondered if this is the cause of many android crashes.
2017-5-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Saffron96 Posted at 2017-5-28 02:34
Yes, this all started from the initial set-up. It was down loaded from Google Play Store.

Could you happen to clarify how many times you've tried reinstalling the Go app thus far? Can you update the Shield tablet any further than 7.0?
2017-5-30
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-30 12:49
Could you happen to clarify how many times you've tried reinstalling the Go app thus far? Can you update the Shield tablet any further than 7.0?

I have recently uninstalled the GO app which I have replaced with the QR code version from the DJI website.I have yet to try this. I will report back once I get the Inspire into the air again in the next couple of days.
I am not aware of a further update for the K1 other than 7.0.
2017-5-30
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.1
United Kingdom

SteveDickin Posted at 2017-5-29 04:14
Its a bit of a pain to do, but many are downgrading their Nvidia Shield K1 back to Marshmallow (Android Version 6.0.1).  There is a thread on the DJI Forums where one guy has typed out the whole procedure which is what I used recently.  I have not taken the Inspire out to test yet, but I am confident it sorts the crash issue from what I have read.  The downgrade is complicated for the average person and at some stages you think OHHH NOOO its froze, but you just have to be patient and then it boots to the old operating system.  Also just be conscious that your crashes could be just the mini usb connection from the Controller cable to the Nvidia shield being a little loose in the tablet, I have wondered if this is the cause of many android crashes.

I appreciate your input Steve.
I have come across one or two threads in the forums re downgrading but am loath to do that until I cant get a satisfactory solution via a less stressful method. However, if you happen to recall which thread it was you referred to I would appreciate a link.
DJI should have this sort of nonsense sorted but then they are in business to make money. once they move on with their developments, as far as they are concerned any effort in supporting their old customers is wasted effort which is an insane model to adopt long-term.  Once a serious competitor comes onto the field they will find out just how loyal their customer base really is.
2017-5-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Saffron96 Posted at 2017-5-30 15:15
I have recently uninstalled the GO app which I have replaced with the QR code version from the DJI website.I have yet to try this. I will report back once I get the Inspire into the air again in the next couple of days.
I am not aware of a further update for the K1 other than 7.0.

Please keep me posted.
2017-5-30
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.1
United Kingdom

As expected, the QR version is just as unstable as the previous version and crashed within 5 minutes. I am fast becoming disillusioned with DJI products. The Shield was one of the monitors on the DJI list of approved devices. The least they could do is to update the GO app to compliment any upgrades to android software. For an organisation at the forefront of electronic wizardry I hardly think that this little problem should pose such an insurmountable task.??? Oh! I almost forgot. They want to sell their 'Crystal Sky'
I can be so naive some times
2017-6-2
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.1
United Kingdom

As expected, the QR version is just as unstable as the previous version and crashed within 5 minutes. I am fast becoming disillusioned with DJI products. The Shield was one of the monitors on the DJI list of approved devices. The least they could do is to update the GO app to compliment any upgrades to android software. For an organisation at the forefront of electronic wizardry I hardly think that this little problem should pose such an insurmountable task.??? Oh! I almost forgot. They want to sell their 'Crystal Sky'
2017-6-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Saffron96 Posted at 2017-6-2 23:07

Unlike iOS which has one type or hardware etc., Android has too many hardware and interface overlay options from different manufacturers. One OS version is not configured the same way on every Android manufacturer, so ensuring compatibility for all devices with the same OS can be a larger task than expected. These issues have been passed to the appropriate team to hopefully make the Nougat system more stable.
2017-6-2
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I surely hope that this is something that is dealt with by DJI as I am running out of enthusiasm for DJI products. I also have an issue with my Ipad Air 2 which constantly freezes and refreshes when viewing image. I have tried numerous cables and have swapped transmitters, I have also closed down all other apps so nothing is running in the background. Still the same problem persists.
2017-6-4
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

I am wondering why you have issue on Ipad Air. Apple tablets seem to be recognized as the preferred ones with reliable and consistent performance. Should I spend the money to get Apple ware if all Android tablets fail?
2017-6-4
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DTK Posted at 2017-6-4 20:12
I am wondering why you have issue on Ipad Air. Apple tablets seem to be recognized as the preferred ones with reliable and consistent performance. Should I spend the money to get Apple ware if all Android tablets fail?

I don't know why there is an issue with the iPad Air 2. There is a guy on Youtube detailing the same glitchy camera feed from his iPad Mini 3. I don't know if it is a firmware, app or hardware problem. What I do know is that it's driving me to distraction and no one out there seems to be able to shed any light on the issue. It surely must be something that others are experiencing!?
2017-6-5
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Saffron96 Posted at 2017-6-5 04:26
I don't know why there is an issue with the iPad Air 2. There is a guy on Youtube detailing the same glitchy camera feed from his iPad Mini 3. I don't know if it is a firmware, app or hardware problem. What I do know is that it's driving me to distraction and no one out there seems to be able to shed any light on the issue. It surely must be something that others are experiencing!?

The processor in the Air 2 is not up to running the app, it may have been once but the app is now more processor hungry. It may be that the Nvidia Shield is getting that way.

Mark G.
2017-6-5
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Australia

The way it is going, everyone needs an upgrade to their tablet every year in order to keep up the processing demand from the app.
2017-6-5
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-6-5 05:49
The processor in the Air 2 is not up to running the app, it may have been once but the app is now more processor hungry. It may be that the Nvidia Shield is getting that way.

Mark G.

Hmmmmm! Could be true. Not convinced though.
2017-6-11
Use props
Saffron96
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DTK Posted at 2017-6-5 17:30
The way it is going, everyone needs an upgrade to their tablet every year in order to keep up the processing demand from the app.

A sad state of affairs for sure.
2017-6-11
Use props
SteveDickin
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Back on topic, my Nvidia Shield K1 which I downgraded to Android 6 a couple of weeks ago as per a thread on these forums in which a kind gentleman wrote the whole procedure out, is now running without any crashes what so ever.  I am really pleased with this.
2017-6-12
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Jersey

Good news, Steve. How many times have you flown since? I may have to try this.

Mark G.
2017-6-12
Use props
fans3078e08b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3885 ft
Netherlands

I have a Nvidia shield k1 too i n combination with DJI Go 4 latest 4.1.0 and The Mavic pro.
The Shield has Andriod 7.0

The app drops off, aircraft disconeccted, etc.
BUT this seems especially the case when using intelligent flight modes.

After some experimentation I concluded that it has something to do with the grafics driver of Andriod 7.0
and the switching of screens in the app.

Great, but no solution. So this evening I decided to role back my shield to Andriod 6.0.
wish me luck.
2017-6-14
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
United States

It has already discussed in different forum, it will work great after rolling back to MM.
2017-6-14
Use props
fansc1b6edee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 669026 ft
United States

The Inspirre 1 dose not run the DJI Go4.   You have to run the standard GJI GO App. Stick with iSO, DJI isn't going to do any thing for the older Inspires. the won't even be supporting the Inspire 2 by this time next year. I almost bought an Inspire 2 untill I heard about that. With all the new mini "Dummy capatable" self flying drones the are pushing there is just no finacial reason to continue support fot these older drones.
2017-6-20
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Jersey

SteveDickin Posted at 2017-6-12 07:30
Back on topic, my Nvidia Shield K1 which I downgraded to Android 6 a couple of weeks ago as per a thread on these forums in which a kind gentleman wrote the whole procedure out, is now running without any crashes what so ever.  I am really pleased with this.

Hi Steve,

Do have a link to this thread? I think I will take this route as it seems more productive than moaning and blaming. I have been using the Litchi app since the last Android update and it works fine but there are times when I don't need the extra functions and it would be nice to be able to use DJI Go.

Mark G.
2017-9-3
Use props
HomePoint
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-9-3 02:05
Hi Steve,

Do have a link to this thread? I think I will take this route as it seems more productive than moaning and blaming. I have been using the Litchi app since the last Android update and it works fine but there are times when I don't need the extra functions and it would be nice to be able to use DJI Go.

This is the one I followed Mark.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=482415

Hope that link works.
2017-9-3
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Jersey

HomePoint Posted at 2017-9-3 05:06
This is the one I followed Mark.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=85675&pid=704362&fromuid=482415

Thanks for the link, I'll let you know how it goes.
2017-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules