FAA registration struck down in court
2414 22 2017-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 526076 ft
United States

This is from a recent ruling that will likely set a precent on how FAA registration affects hobbyists. I know there are two courts of opinions out there but this is for those who decided not to register. Don't shoot the messenger

2017-5-19
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

Sorry to say I love it! A $5 registration is nothing more than another tax and government over reach. I wonder what the FAA did with all registration money? Did they use that money to open more areas to fly for those who registered?  You are either going to fly responsibly or you won't a $5 tax does nothing.
2017-5-19
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Wow:

The court struck down the FAA’s registration rule, referencing the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act, which was passed by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama. That rule stated that the FAA “may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft.”

So does this mean I can fly over the White House now?

2017-5-19
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Does this mean I get my $5 back ?
2017-5-19
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

I like the fact that the FAA could track down people doing illegal stuff with their drone if it crashed or was captured, but someone who planned on doing that wouldn't register, so it seemed pointless.
2017-5-19
Use props
BinDC
lvl.2
United States

Wow-- not sure whats going to happen now this has been over ruled. As far as NFZs,  those will stay the same as the FAA does have the authority to put those measures in place.  
2017-5-19
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-5-19 12:02
Does this mean I get my $5 back ?

I was gonna say.. or take me off the books if no one else needs to register.
2017-5-19
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I'll be "anxiously" watching the mailbox for my refund.
2017-5-19
Use props
Franksr
New
United States

Americans no longer have to register non-commercial drones with the FAA
Surprisingly, the drone industry isn’t thrilled.

If you buy a new drone in the U.S. to fly non-commercially, you no longer have to register your drone with the Federal Aviation Administration, according to a decision issued today by a federal court in Washington, D.C.

The court ruled that the FAA’s drone registration rules, which have been in place since 2015, were in violation of a law passed by Congress in 2012. That law, the FAA Modernization and Reform Act, prohibited the FAA from passing any rules on the operation of model aircraft — in other words, rules that restrict how non-commercial hobbyist drone operators fly.

Now, if a person buys a new drone to fly for fun, they no longer have to register that aircraft with the FAA. But if flying for commercial purposes, drone buyers still need to register.

The lawsuit was won by John Taylor, a model aircraft enthusiast, who brought the case against the FAA in January 2016.

Since first opening the FAA’s registration system in December 2015, more than 820,000 people have registered to fly drones.
2017-5-19
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I wouldn't get too excited about this development: the case can still be appealed and even if that doesn't happen it's likely that sooner or later congress will pass a new law to reinstate registration and perhaps even something more restrictive. Besides, what really changed with registration? If the FAA gets its hands on a drone and wants to find out who the owner is they won't have any real trouble doing so regardless of whether it has an "FA" label on it.
2017-5-20
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

The court struck down the FAA’s registration rule, referencing the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act, which was passed by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama. That rule stated that the FAA “may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft.”

So the above seems to indicate that those of us who are not flying commercially no longer have to follow any of the "rules and regulation(s)" -- this means not only registration, but height limits, LOS & NFZ restrictions, airport notification, yada yada, etc., correct? Not that I'm advocating anyone ignore these -- most of the limitations are good ideas as far as I'm concerned.

2017-5-21
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

The fact is, with the way the government is run, $5 today means $250 fee 5 years from now... This is a huge win... Now they need to get rid of the certificate needed to use your drone to make money.
2017-5-21
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606601 ft
United States

So I will get my 5 bucks back?  and they will take me off records?  
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-22 17:14
So I will get my 5 bucks back?  and they will take me off records?

Chances of that happening are very close to 0.  Of course a class action can happen and the lawyers get our $5 back, but it will come in a certificate for $1 off a McDonalds BigMac and the lawyers will keep the $4 on the $5.  Just sayin.
2017-5-22
Use props
PanaceaBeachBum
lvl.2
United States

weird, they were still issuing registrations as of yesterday and took my dads $5
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 17:27
Chances of that happening are very close to 0.  Of course a class action can happen and the lawyers get our $5 back, but it will come in a certificate for $1 off a McDonalds BigMac and the lawyers will keep the $4 on the $5.  Just sayin.

FAA got butt hurt, day of the ruling gone public their main site had a bunch of pictures showing what would happen if a drone fell on someone's head and got pretty graphic seems fearmongering at its best

not sure why they don't stick to what they do best, that is to regulate airlines and large jetliners and see to it that they are safe and stop trying to do things that they are by law not allowed to do anyway

why they getting into the  drone game?
2017-5-22
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

All it said now is that they can't require registration, it doesn't say you can't still register if you want to.  When you log into the website there's a "cancel" button now, so I guess you can take your name off their official list (yeah, right).
2017-5-22
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

i like the FAA registration. i'll probably not fly in the US soon, but still registred my drone
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

adiru Posted at 2017-5-22 17:37
FAA got butt hurt, day of the ruling gone public their main site had a bunch of pictures showing what would happen if a drone fell on someone's head and got pretty graphic seems fearmongering at its best

not sure why they don't stick to what they do best, that is to regulate airlines and large jetliners and see to it that they are safe and stop trying to do things that they are by law not allowed to do anyway

Because they say they own the airspace 1 inch and up off your lawn.
2017-5-23
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

As has been said, do not jump for joy.  This is merely going to result in an adjustment or amendment to the 2012 law which did not foresee drone use.  The court did their job, now the lawmakers will do theirs.  As reflected by DJI's own new firmware update requirements, we are moving into a significantly more regulated era for hobbyist flying machines.
2017-5-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Are there any benefits to not having to register?
2017-5-23
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-23 10:16
Are there any benefits to not having to register?

You save $5.

I prefer to have registration with the FAA as now I have the protection of the FAA surrounding my aircraft.  If someone shoots down my drone now, is it now outside FAA jurisdiction?  
2017-5-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-23 10:25
You save $5.

I prefer to have registration with the FAA as now I have the protection of the FAA surrounding my aircraft.  If someone shoots down my drone now, is it now outside FAA jurisdiction?

So that's it $5, maybe it will come back in some other form.
2017-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules