Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom4 crash and obstacle avoidance
1009 13 2017-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone2621
lvl.3
Flight distance : 225292 ft
United Kingdom

First off just want to say I love what DJI has brought to the world of drones they have made capturing quality aerial footage a possibility for many working people. I Have resolved my case now  it took over 4 weeks and I got a brand new replacement thanks to MaplinUK.  While DJI wanted me to wait another 2 weeks that's 6 weeks in total and charge me over £300 and then return a drone that's had a free fall from 40 meters. Benefit of buying through another retailer in your own country and not online. They respect the trading standards of that country where as DJI don't . I hope DJI invest more money in there after sales care in future are let another private company takes this role over.

One thing I wish I was taught regarding the OA system and RTH settings. Is set the drone to hover when it loses signal and turn of the auto avoidance and climb over features  in build up spaces . If I had these settings I would have avoided my crash. In my case the OA system crashed its self with no user input when it was in no danger and the failing of the RTH altitude to go to 80 meters as set is still unexplained .

The way DJI advertise the OA system is misleading and the small print tells another story about its limitations. Any way I learnt my lessons the hard way I put to much faith in a system and made some mistakes in my planning and underestimated that havoc metal and interference can cause with the sensors . Hope my case can help others who are new to the RTH and AO system in drones avoid the mistakes i made . Look forward to investing and flying more of DJI tech in future

2017-5-21
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Excuse me, I really didn't understand, from your post, what happened.  can you be a bit more clear?
2017-5-21
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-5-21 06:21
Excuse me, I really didn't understand, from your post, what happened.  can you be a bit more clear?

He flew it out of sight behind a building in a city centre, lost signal, the RTH activated and flew up to the wall of a building where the obstacle avoidance halted the aircraft, it then struggled with turbulence near the downwind corner of the building, and possibly magnetic interference from the reinforced concrete,  and clipped the wall, then fell...
2017-5-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It's a clear case of not reading the Manual, which is the first thing dji tells you to do, but thanks for telling your story it might help others.
2017-5-21
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-5-21 08:15
He flew it out of sight behind a building in a city centre, lost signal, the RTH activated and flew up to the wall of a building where the obstacle avoidance halted the aircraft, it then struggled with turbulence near the downwind corner of the building, and possibly magnetic interference from the reinforced concrete,  and clipped the wall, then fell...

Thanks Nigel, now it's crystal clear. Poor drone...
2017-5-21
Use props
Drone2621
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-5-21 08:15

Struggled with turbulence  this crap again Nigel .  Its  a good job people who get paid to make these assessment are far more knowledgeable than you. Fly your drone in a barren field while singing hymns from your drone code book . Any way I got a new drone sorry to upset you
2017-5-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Drone2621 Posted at 2017-5-21 11:31
Struggled with turbulence  this crap again Nigel .  Its  a good job people who get paid to make these assessment are far more knowledgeable than you. Fly your drone in a barren field while singing hymns from your drone code book . Any way I got a new drone sorry to upset you

Yeah it was everybody's fault nothing to do with you, if you would take just a smidgen of Nigel's advice you might hold on to your new drone a little longer than you did your last one.
2017-5-21
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

"Its  a good job people who get paid to make these assessment are far more knowledgeable than you. "
"I got a brand new replacement thanks to MaplinUK.  While DJI wanted me to wait another 2 weeks that's 6 weeks in total and charge me over £300 and then return a drone that's had a free fall from 40 meters."

Yes, I'm sure the experts at Maplin who know everything there is to know about resistors, transistors, diodes etc will also be experts on piloting drones, while the guys at DJI who wanted to charge you for the damage they thought you caused got it totally wrong!
2017-5-21
Use props
Drone2621
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-5-21 12:12
"Its  a good job people who get paid to make these assessment are far more knowledgeable than you. "
"I got a brand new replacement thanks to MaplinUK.  While DJI wanted me to wait another 2 weeks that's 6 weeks in total and charge me over £300 and then return a drone that's had a free fall from 40 meters."

Dji charge  every one for every thing that ever goes wrong just take a look on he service page  . You have to be a fool to buy direct from them .You should go give this guy some of your pearls of wisdom about how you cant fly a drone in built up spaces , sure there are a few drone laws you could recite to him

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=96641
2017-5-22
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Drone2621 Posted at 2017-5-22 10:16
Dji charge  every one for every thing that ever goes wrong just take a look on he service page  . You have to be a fool to buy direct from them .You should go give this guy some of your pearls of wisdom about how you cant fly a drone in built up spaces , sure there are a few drone laws you could recite to him

What laws has he broken?  I have no idea what the drone laws are in the Russian Federation, and I am not interested either!

DJI do replace aircraft under warrantee if there is a manufacturing fault, however when you crash it into a building it is a matter for insurance to sort, not for taking it back to the retailer and claiming a free replacement!
2017-5-22
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Why are you posting this again - 5 weeks after your initial rant about this?
Never got the message?
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=583619
2017-5-22
Use props
Drone2621
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2017-5-22 13:00
Why are you posting this again - 5 weeks after your initial rant about this?
Never got the message?
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=92471&fromuid=583619

Says the clown who just bumped the thread .Breaking news people are free to post what they want within the rules . Your self and a few other forum dwellers think you own the forum get a life
2017-5-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

'Look forward to investing and flying more of DJI tech in future '

You probably won't be because you failed to learn anything from your last disaster.
2017-5-22
Use props
Drone2621
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-22 15:27
'Look forward to investing and flying more of DJI tech in future '

You probably won't be because you failed to learn anything from your last disaster.

oHH Another DJI  forum warrior turns up to post his pearl of  wisdom . Disaster ? You must have had a sheltered life. Drone crashed drone got replaced with a new one and I got a mavic pro on the side now its been a experience.  

A disaster would be if my life revolved around this section of the forum and reciting the small print from a manual designed to absolve a company from blame  for any fault  . Plenty cool drone footage to debate .

2017-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules