Brand New Phantom 4 Pro Crashed on First Flight - Compass Error I...
2009 12 2017-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans36401e70
New
Flight distance : 92 ft
United Kingdom

Just received my brand new Phantom 4 Pro, battery fully charged, no errors, all firmware fully update dated, no errors requiring any calibrations needed.

Took it out for its maiden flight, got the Ready to Go message and took off hovered at 6 metres, at this point there was no input on the controls, used the app to switch to Tripod Mode, hovered fine then suddently started to fly away, wouldnt respond and flew like a bat out of hell smack bang into a tree, the drone sadly did not survive, 2 of the props broke apart, the battery flew out, the light lenses fall off and one of the rotor arms looks like its been sliced by an axe.

Now the drone wont initiaise when I turn it on, I managed to get the flight logs and uploaded them to PhantomHelp.com

Everything showed perfect until 1 mins 8 seconds into the flight at this point it was still hovering, then suddently the logs say Compass error and it took off and reached a max speed of 23.2 mph (this is whilst still in Tripod mode that has a fixed speed of 5.6mph)

I replayed the flight back on the app and confirmed there was no input from me on the flight controls as I paniced I had pushed something I shouldnt.

A few seconds before the drone slammed into the tree it gave the error "Braking now! No use to move the stick left. Avoid the obstacle.; Compass Error"

Firstly this is my first DJI and probably my last, I read the manual front to back before attempting any first flight, has anyone else experienced such mega failures with their drones ?
Where would I stand with a replacement ?

2017-5-21
Use props
fans36401e70
New
United Kingdom

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XKBKUDJ6SW4AS33WESSO/
2017-5-21
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

Strange the DJI 4 app did not ask you to do a compass calibration for your first flight.    I would have expected it to do that, but it did not.   I would certainly ask DJI about this...   :-(   
2017-5-21
Use props
fans36401e70
New
United Kingdom

As it was in Tripod mode had it hit the tree to 5.6mph instead of 22mph it would have had more of a chance of surviving, its another unanswered question, Ive opened a ticket with DJI but as its the weekend they havent responded yet.

2017-5-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

pasaytenpete Posted at 2017-5-21 06:56
Strange the DJI 4 app did not ask you to do a compass calibration for your first flight.    I would have expected it to do that, but it did not.   I would certainly ask DJI about this...   :-(

Not at all.
It would be stranger if the app did ask for a compass calibration.
2017-5-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans36401e70 Posted at 2017-5-21 07:13
As it was in Tripod mode had it hit the tree to 5.6mph instead of 22mph it would have had more of a chance of surviving, its another unanswered question, Ive opened a ticket with DJI but as its the weekend they havent responded yet.

You case is an odd one.
There's no hint of the usual things that can cause problems.
If you haven't messed with compass calibration or launched from on top of steel or reinforced concrete, it appears to be a genuine malfunction.
To deal with DJI, you should upload the flight record (click the cloud icon) and go to their online support and use the chat feature to get things started.
2017-5-21
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-21 15:18
Not at all.
It would be stranger if the app did ask for a compass calibration.

It was his very first flight out of the box and after updates of firmware...   Would not that trigger need for compass calibration?   
2017-5-21
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Sure looks like it was an equipment failure to me too. Some throttle and rudder inputs as well as a bit of minor elevator and aileron. None of these control inputs seem to have had much effect on the flight.

You were doing the right thing by flying in an open space. Really bad luck on your first flight, try not to let it shake your confidence.

Cannot speak for DJI but if it were me I would be fairly sure that this would be a warranty replacement.

2017-5-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

pasaytenpete Posted at 2017-5-21 16:51
It was his very first flight out of the box and after updates of firmware...   Would not that trigger need for compass calibration?

No it doesn't.
The P4 pro is fine to fly out of the box without calibrating anything.
The manual says nothing about calibrating anything and the app will not prompt you to either.
2017-5-21
Use props
fans36401e70
New
United Kingdom

So finally dji responded and offered a warranty repair, absolutely no explanation as to what happened, I've rejected the repair and insisted on a replacement, but I have zero confidence now, what's to stop it happening again???
2017-6-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans36401e70 Posted at 2017-6-5 21:59
So finally dji responded and offered a warranty repair, absolutely no explanation as to what happened, I've rejected the repair and insisted on a replacement, but I have zero confidence now, what's to stop it happening again???

What's to prevent a reoccurrence?

DJI have fixed it.  They've replaced whatever needed replacing and test flown it to confirm that it works just like everyone else's .
Take it out and put it 10 feet in the air and see how it goes.
If it hovers in place without wanting to do a slow spiral, take it further and get some confidence.
2017-6-5
Use props
uavsolutionsmai
lvl.3
Netherlands

fans36401e70 Posted at 2017-6-5 21:59

Take the offer of the warrenty repair. If DJI can't repair the AC, they will replace it.
As it seems you did have a bad system and now it's ruined. This is what warrenty is about: repair and replace.
2017-6-6
Use props
Todka
lvl.3
Flight distance : 452267 ft
Australia

I would send it in for repair. From the description of the damage, I think you will be getting a new replacement.
Unfortunately these drones are not 100% reliable. If you can accept that these things happen, and do what you need to do if bad luck strikes, which in this case is sending in for warranty, then that's about all you can do. When they do work they are fantastic. If you're looking for guaranteed relaibility for a $2k quad copter, you need to sit this hobby our for a long time until the tech matures.
2017-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules